Vintage meet at Rajiv house

srinisundar

Can we call an after effect of Successful edition of so called South India meet ???

The pleasure of hearing the old system is endless and the voice and music flow from the system is to be enjoyed and should be thrilled and perhaps it is an " Judgement Day" for tweaking and setting our mind " oh this is music" " it should sound like this"... This we heard in the last meet with the spendor + Quad combo.. To keep thrilled more yesterday mohamednasser called me to make a visit to Rajiv house for his Infinity RS-II speaker which i have seen only in web images.;) Rest of the evening started from Rajiv house at 3PM to night ended at Captain house at 9.15PM is history.;)

Infinity Rs-II speakers

We just entered the ground floor of Rajiv flat there was clear singing human voice without any coloration or music background we could hear and i commented to Nasser that somebody is doing like Karoke. To the surprise when we entered his third floor the voice is nothing but coming from Infinity RS II - reference speakers. RS-II is huge and standing in the hall like tall boy. The Infinity was powered by Luxman + Lyrita + Rega and the voice coming from the 35 years years old speakers is like from the stage performance of an music troupe. No room filling music, just singing in front of you and you fall flat for the sound.. We played several tracks from rock to classical and it sounded beautifully in front of you. Come-on it has ribbon tweeter well before 35 years...What else you need apart from music and it connects to your heart and soul.

May be this should be heard by budding audiophiles to have some reference how the music will flow like and how it will connect to us.

Tannoy Monitor Gold

Rajiv suddenly asked whether we want to listen to Tannoy monitor gold, which we could not refuse. Only handling is tougher for these vintage ones and it cannot be lifted by an single person and it also to be moved carefully. The tougher part of moving is handled by Rajiv and pleasure of hearing was given to us.

The speaker is so solid and huge 15" drive units ( am i right or 12" ). By look we will think the music will blow the room in a whistle...Rajiv told it was almost 40 years old and the cabinet is built by the tannoy and it is original and it should be rebuilt to get the proper Sound.

Once We started playing with the usual audiophile tracks + other jazz tracks we agreed with what Rajiv told. The music is well connected with a proper sound stage. Nodoubt the speaker technology is already established in the 70's and early and now the new market players are tweaking the present brands to suit the present generation taste.

When we hear this kind of vintage system we will know how the singers get connected with us more than the music reproduced. Music is nothing but connecting the hifi hearts.

Sorry my photos were poor with my ipod and it will not do justice to the speakers, Next time i will fill with my Nikon.

Infinity RS-II Photos

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Tannoy Monitor Gold Photos

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Videos of Infinity RS II & Tannoy Monitor gold at Rajiv house

Infinity RS-II speakers - YouTube

Infinity RS II speaker - YouTube

Tannoy monitor gold - YouTube

Last edited:
By evening 6PM myself, Rajiv and Mohamednasser went to CaptnRajesh house to hear his newly acquired Dared VP-60 from Analog Audio labs who were part of the meet.

Around few weeks back we 3 were at Rajesh house to hear the combination of Cayin with Arista and with different combination we have heard his Cadence Arista So we know how it sounds. Rajesh informed the combination of Dared with Arista has impressed him very much and will be giving away his Cayin.

Sasi joined the session with us and we played usual audiophile tracks + Dire straits + Jazz tracks. We tried playing with changing speaker cable of Straight wire + Audio art + push pull of speaker front / back. Finally we could achieve the ultimate music connection of the singer with the listener by connecting Audio art speaker cable + adjusting the speaker to the listening position. Wow, Dared connects with Cadence Arista musically and gives out the pleasure of hearing.

With all the tracks we played with the combination of his Dared VP-60 + Marantz CD player + Acoustic Portrait DAC ( soul lies here) we are able to achieve the pleasure of hearing without any fatigue including the MJ's BAD track. So CaptnRajesh is an happy man today and when I will be ???;)

Chennai members should make a visit to hear his system and it is sounding so good now than ever..:) Oops.. Forgot to inform,, we closed the session around 9PM

As usual my photo wont do justice to the beauty of DARED VP-60..Next time i will shoot with my Nikon..:p

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Last edited:
Amazing day for me.Inifinity was very much impressed me.The music presentation was very natural and clear.When we are in the ground floor me and srini thought some one is singing, but this was from infinity and this is what true music .

Always i will expect speaker should touch our heart by the delivery of music.This i had from my spendor and even more from infinity.
There is no rocking bass and highs to impress immediately but it has life in music delivery.If you like to listen this type of music then you feel the true value of the music and it should influence your mind when you start listen.This is what my expectation from a perfect matched setup.

If any setup even though it is 2000 rs which gives the feel of the singer and that is the best setup for me whether it is vintage or modern or low end or high end.

My point of view the measurement of setup is how much the setup is influencing me by the way of satisfaction.

Last edited:
Amazing equipment! Damn i missed it.

Why not we will have an another session when some renovation work were completed in Rajiv house. But hesitant to give trouble for Rajiv to move around those mighty one.

May be we can play those in the next meet.:cool:

Can we call an after effect of Successful edition of so called South India meet ???

The pleasure of hearing the old system is endless and the voice and music flow from the system is to be enjoyed and should be thrilled...

dbtgallery.php

Good to see marriage photo of Capt. R .. drape the speaker in a Saree and the effect will be complete :D

Now my curiosity has been whipped up ... this is one setup I owuld love to hear someday when I am in Chennai.

--G0bble

Rajiv is an amazing and extremely knowledgeable host! Glad everybody had great fun. Those speakers look amazing!

Tannoy Monitor Gold

Rajiv suddenly asked whether we want to listen to Tannoy monitor gold, which we could not refuse. Only handling is tougher for these vintage ones and it cannot be lifted by an single person and it also to be moved carefully. The tougher part of moving is handled by Rajiv and pleasure of hearing was given to us.

Tannoy Monitor Gold Photos

dbtgallery.php

Damn!! I haven't had an inkling that a new jewel would be pulled out for savoring from Rajiv's treasure trove else, wouldn't have moved out early.

Good to see marriage photo of Capt. R .. drape the speaker in a Saree and the effect will be complete :D

LOL. I wouldn't have held the Saree clad species the way I posed with those beauty queens.:D

Super stuff.

Guys this is what our passion is all about. Congratulations on the camaraderie that you have developed in Chennai among all of you. This is truly the essence of what an audiophile community should be all about.

By evening 6PM myself, Rajiv and Mohamednasser went to CaptnRajesh house to hear his newly acquired Dared VP-60 from Analog Audio labs who were part of the meet.

Missed this part. They are on loan from Byju. I'll take the call after listening to his recommended amp, VP845.

But, he already found his match at the Chennai Meet and took her straight home. Another one now? This is turning into one of those multi-wife stories I read in the newspapers. Poor Mrs R!

But, he already found his match at the Chennai Meet and took her straight home. Another one now? This is turning into one of those multi-wife stories I read in the newspapers. Poor Mrs R!

ROFTL. Have fun guys, so what if it is at my cost. Enjoy.:yahoo:

Super thread and as always missed the action. Does anyone have an anthem receiver that I can borrow for a day?.

I sure can return the favour :D... in someway

Infinity Rs-II speakers have gone to an new home who is also an audiophile and also our forum member and hope to hear it once again on complete restoration..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back