VINTAGE RADIO RESTORATION, Bangalore

udaykalburgi

Hello,

Kindly view the video in link.
. This is my workshop and my collection of Vintage Radios. I am an electronics engineer by profession but beaten by Valve Radio Technology ! I have about 53 sets, which are Philips, Grundig,Westinghouse,Bush,PYE,Murphy, Mullard and HMV. I want to collect about 100+ sets and make a small museum for younger generation to see the earlier technology. I restore for my own collection as well if someone wants to restore their sets. I am in Bangalore. India.I am on 9845043014 or [email protected].

Warm regards

Uday KIMG_2068.jpgIMG_2073.jpgIMG_2068.jpgIMG_2073.jpgIMG_2077.jpgIMG_2078.jpg

WOW ! Never seen such a neat setup. Kudos to you. I saw in the video Philips Prestige Set. I have the same model but condition not good. If you want to sell that particular set. Please do tell me.

Prestige.jpg

Regards

Hello,

Kindly view the video in link.
. This is my workshop and my collection of Vintage Radios. I am an electronics engineer by profession but beaten by Valve Radio Technology ! I have about 53 sets, which are Philips, Grundig,Westinghouse,Bush,PYE,Murphy, Mullard and HMV. I want to collect about 100+ sets and make a small museum for younger generation to see the earlier technology. I restore for my own collection as well if someone wants to restore their sets. I am in Bangalore. India.I am on 9845043014 or [email protected].

Warm regards

Uday KView attachment 40892View attachment 40893View attachment 40892View attachment 40893View attachment 40894View attachment 40895
Great Work Uday!!! a great passion

Hi
Uday
What a great job you have done! Have never seen such a beautiful collection. At the age of 48+ I can ruminate my bygone days when radio( not transistor) happened to be the only tangible media in a middle class Bengali family. Can never forget the nice programs aired by AIR. Would like to buy a vintage stuff in future.
Regards
Bhaskar

Recently I got a vintage Philips tube stereo radio with inbuilt speakers in good condition.
After some basic cleaning and servicing I connected with a blue ray player and made a test video. It has inputs for tape and PU. So I can connect CD player / TV and TT. Listening to old videos in YouTube through Chromecast has become more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right.
It is not only the looks but sweet memories that it evokes of an bygone era that add value to it. Surprisingly the sound is good too. Although it might not meet audiophile standards ( organic sound and deep sound stage etc etc ;)) but it is still very soothing.

Last edited:
Recently I got a vintage Philips tube stereo radio with inbuilt speakers in good condition.
After some basic cleaning and servicing I connected with a blue ray player and made a test video. It has inputs for tape and PU. So I can connect CD player / TV and TT. Listening to old videos in YouTube through Chromecast has become more enjoyable.

Hi sir, you have wonderful audio gadgets nice video

WOW ! Never seen such a neat setup. Kudos to you. I saw in the video Philips Prestige Set. I have the same model but condition not good. If you want to sell that particular set. Please do tell me.

View attachment 40901

Regards
Sure < I will let you Know.

Great Work Uday!!! a great passion
Thank You !

Thank You !

Hi
Uday
What a great job you have done! Have never seen such a beautiful collection. At the age of 48+ I can ruminate my bygone days when radio( not transistor) happened to be the only tangible media in a middle class Bengali family. Can never forget the nice programs aired by AIR. Would like to buy a vintage stuff in future.
Regards
Bhaskar
Thank You !

Yes , The audio quality is wonderful from Philips Valve Radios!

Thanks Uday.
I had posted picture of my radio in our forum here.
unfortunately the picture hosting website is no longer working. Actually I only needed glass dial plate. But I dont mind paying for whole set.
Regards.

Yes, you are right.
It is not only the looks but sweet memories that it evokes of an bygone era that add value to it. Surprisingly the sound is good too. Although it might not meet audiophile standards ( organic sound and deep sound stage etc etc ;)) but it is still very soothing.
Yes, But Still if you listen to my 1914 Westinghouse Set on AM ( Bangalore AIR Station) and on the Standard SONY Hifi Stereo, people say the Westinghouse Radio sound quality is super ! It does not have that Magnet of Speaker and no Tuning capacitor of new age.!

oh, its like going back in time :)
Well done!! Great workshop!!
Thank You Sir !

Right time to start your Philips Bi- Ampli valve radio restoration sir.
Yes !!

Wow!! imagine if that lovely radio was able to speak, what an evolution of sorts it has been for it :) imagine a radio from that period, partnering a modern digital device :) kind of reminds me of us older generation learning new digital and robotics technologies at the workplace, in order to keep ourselves relevant in the modern world :)

Uday, is your work restricted to tube radios or do you work on vintage tube amplifiers as well? Just curious.

My uncle has a retro valve radio. I guess it goes by Greats or Greets. Now in a bad shape, attaching few is for reference. I remember hearing those during 90s nothing beats the quality. Last I remembered that the valve replacement couldn't be found and hence it was not maintained well, resulting in given condition. Can this be brought to life??

Attachments

• IMG-20200214-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200214-WA0004.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG-20200214-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20200214-WA0005.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 50
Wow!! imagine if that lovely radio was able to speak, what an evolution of sorts it has been for it :) imagine a radio from that period, partnering a modern digital device :) kind of reminds me of us older generation learning new digital and robotics technologies at the workplace, in order to keep ourselves relevant in the modern world :)

Uday, is your work restricted to tube radios or do you work on vintage tube amplifiers as well? Just curious.
tube Amps too

My uncle has a retro valve radio. I guess it goes by Greats or Greets. Now in a bad shape, attaching few is for reference. I remember hearing those during 90s nothing beats the quality. Last I remembered that the valve replacement couldn't be found and hence it was not maintained well, resulting in given condition. Can this be brought to life??
Yes, would take time

Uday ji,

Your work and passion is exemplary. I am in Bangalore too and have a passion of collecting Turntables and speakers. Not in your league, but with similar passion on Test & Measuring instruments, tools etc.

If possible lets meet and catch up.

Regards
Anil

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back