Vinyls with outstanding STEREO effects

Do Vinyls really produce better STEREO sound

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frend2001

Hi FMs

On my first ever listening to a Vinyl, i was struck by the superb STEREO effects it was producing, nothing like anything.

IMHO vinyl channel separation in best there is.....

Kindly share names of vinyls, that has superb STEREO effects

There are 100s of vinyls which gives superb stereo effect. This is because the recording engineers do a fantastic job when they make the master. "The Wall" by Pink Floyd is outstanding for it's stereo effect.

Was gonna say the same thing - any Pink Floyd vinyl will have incredible stereo separation and a gigantic sound stage - assuming the music is up your alley.

Very True Guys

I still recall the day I heard "Sorrow" for the first time......

After so many years, it still gives me goosebumps when David Gilmour lets the guitar free.

I hope you are not confusing early stereo demonstrator tracks (Made before the advent of proper mic techniques) with good stereo :)

a lot of the stereo demonstrator LP's were made like that. Not that they're bad - I love the Command stereo and Ronnie Aldrich LP's

Look for Phase 4 stereo vinyl rips. Getting the LP's themselves might be hard, but their MP3 versions are available on blogs online, uploaded by fans, and they sound pretty close to the real thing!

Last edited:
I love 'The Wall' for it's recording quality. I also thought Dire Strait's 'Money for nothing' has a great sound. I use it as a test record.

The recording quality of Hindi film LP of 'The Burning' Train is very good and gives convincing stereo effect.
Cheers,
sunder.

IMHO vinyl channel separation in best there is.....

I really doubt that that is possible, but...

I clicked on the thread title thinking Pink Floyd --- and it looks like I joined the right party! :lol:

Anyway, my Floyd contribution for stereo effect is Grantchester Meadows,. It is on Ummagumma

(And hey! I just realised. This was the first non-classical LP I ever bought. Must have been in 1969 or 70, when it was fairly new. I still have it, although I'm not sure it is the same physical copy.)

Last edited:
I hope you are not confusing early stereo demonstrator tracks (Made before the advent of proper mic techniques) with good stereo :)

a lot of the stereo demonstrator LP's were made like that. Not that they're bad - I love the Command stereo and Ronnie Aldrich LP's

Look for Phase 4 stereo vinyl rips. Getting the LP's themselves might be hard, but their MP3 versions are available on blogs online, uploaded by fans, and they sound pretty close to the real thing!

Yes, Ronnie Aldrich piano recordings on Phase 4 is a classic example for steroe demo. There are several others that come to mind. One of the is Bob Marley's Kaya, Simon & Garfunkel's 'Sound of Silence' , Leonard Cohen's live album etc

For bollywood records you can try Sholay (esp. Yeh Dosti track), Shaan, Shalimar (happy version of Hum bewafa if you can call it:D), Mahaan, Saagar esp. Chehra hai ya chand track...there are many more. However, I believe vinyl as a medium is more prone to crosstalk to say....digital. Analog fans, be considerate while brick bating! I am one of you too:D

Regards,
Saket

Rush - "Moving Pictures" is a pretty good record for stereo demo. The drum rolls on "Tom Sawyer" and "YYZ" especially

Some bollywood tracks which are really good for listening are

Anand Aur Anand, Swami Dada, The Burning Train, Mahaan, Saagar (Chehra Hain Ya), Karishmaa, Silsila, Karz, Trishul

These mono tracks are also superb - Mela (early 70, R.D.Burman), Sitamgar, Raksha, Bond 303 etc.

I can vouch for The Burning Train and Shaan for bollywood LPs. Also the OST of Star and the album Disco Deewane are very well mixed. Both these are Biddu offereings. For older records from the west, the Phase-4 Stereo Decca pressings are by far the best in my opinion.

Some of the yellow-label RCA pressings are also quite good. Decca pressings were perhaps the best in my opinion. Most of my RCA and Decca pressings are from the United States, not sure about the ones released by Gramophone Co of India Ltd (assume they would he as good as well)

I want mention one more hindi title "Disco Dancer" of 1982, Music by Bappi Lahiri has amazing stereo sound effect if you can get in on LP, the quality is very hard to match even compared to today's Music. The Live feeling of that record very hard to forget. I had that LP but now it's condition is very poor.

I want mention one more hindi title "Disco Dancer" of 1982, Music by Bappi Lahiri has amazing stereo sound effect if you can get in on LP, the quality is very hard to match even compared to today's Music. The Live feeling of that record very hard to forget. I had that LP but now it's condition is very poor.

Bappi had got quite a few LPs recorded in London which had some good effects. Superuna (for Runa Laila) is one that comes to mind immediately.

In general I am not a fan of mono originals converted to stereo but still there are some good LPs like that.

RCA Victor does some of the best stereo as do some decca records.

Last edited:
Guys I heard Swami Dada and The Burning Train today.....

I just don't know but I'm kinda sure it's got a way better stereo soundstage then my high bitrate mp3s.

Awwww.....i'm falling in love all over again

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back