Visit of Rajiv, Stevieboy and Santhosh

anilva

Yesterday had the pleasure of welcoming Rajiv, Stevieboy and Santhosh home to listen to some of my DIY systems. It was great seeing Rajiv after a long time. He was the one who originally helped me acquire the Altec speaker drivers and gave countless valuable inputs in setting them up in a Onken design.

Thanks folks for coming over. Hope you enjoyed yourself. As mentioned yesterday, I am not a true audiophile but more of a DIY enthusiast who also wants to listen to good quality sound.

I did forget to turn off one of my F5s yesterday and it was going through the night HOT.

Cheers.

Thanks for having us over Anil.

I really enjoyed listening to the 3 speakers (3 different flavours) - Fostex BLH, Altec Onkens and the Philips/Fostex Open Baffles powered by the F5s. The Fostex BLH and the OBs I had heard before and they are very good. Listening to the Altecs again after I made my A7s was very helpful. It gave me a reference and an idea on what I need to improve in mine.

Sorry for not staying longer Anil. We'd had a long day already after visiting Coaltrain and Stevieboy's place and wanted to reach my place before traffic worsened.

Guess we can use this thread to cover our experiences in the last two days?

Thanks for your hospitality and having us over Anil! :)

It was a brilliant experience, with many surprises. First off the sound through any of the combinations of the Fostex BLH, or the open baffle Philips+Fostex or the Altec Onkkens sounded absolutely superb. The integration between the open baffles and the NHT subs was so seamless both Rajiv and I were wondering how an open baffle had so much bass! Then Anil revealed that the sub was on. This is the first seamless integration I have ever heard of a sub and speaker. Simply superb. The bass from the Fostex BLHs were unbelievable and the Altecs ahhhh effortless, dynamic in a way that conventional speakers just don't do. And the turntables! Literally one in every corner. Oh and since there were so many speakers around no exacting 'audiophile' placement etc but you didn't even think about the typical audiophile traits like soundstage etc. All played through the DIY Pass F5s. Although I come from a tube persuasion, I could hear why the F5s appealed to Anil. It was pure music, not 'packaged' 'modern' music, just the way I like it. Braving the traffic was entirely worth it, though of course it was Santhosh doing the braving and we just sitting in the car :D

Thanks so much Anil! And thanks Santhosh for taking us all over town, and out of town too :D

Regards

Hi Anil,

It was great visiting with you and listening to your various systems.Your home is an Alladins cave for any HiFi/audio buff.

As Steven has mentiond the sound of any of the combinations of amp/speakers is wonderful. Different flavours but they all have the musicality and ease of presentation that makes music a joy to listen to.

The F5's are superb amps. The last time I visited they had not been built yet,and the listening was through the Nad/Emotiva amps. The sound was good even back then but with the F5's in the chain the jump in quailty is huge.

The sound is clean and detailed without being harsh. After listening to your system with the F5's I understand your reluctance to try out tubes.:)

Last but not least thank you very much for the gift of the Syntec S 220 tonearm.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Guess we can use this thread to cover our experiences in the last two days?

Great idea Santosh. Thanks to you and Steven I had a great weekend and listened to some very good music systems.

Regards
Rajiv

I suggest you post your views / reviews of AP reference system too. Mods could be requested to change the thread title accordingly.

am gonna be in bangy this week end right on thru till tues eve.... would love to catch up with all of you! i particularly want to partake of Anil's cave, and santosh's and stevies and finyl's and GeorgeO's!

am in a workshop on sat and sun, but am free throughout on MOn and tue!

i know you all have work commitments, so am keeping my eve free for you guys, if you'll have me!

the days will be spent on meeting Jochen, Prithvi and sridhar!

lemme know guys! santosh knows the plan lets co-ordinate!

Hi,

Great idea Santosh. Thanks to you and Steven I had a great weekend and listened to some very good music systems.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks to Rajiv and Stevieboy, I had one of the best musical weekends in a long time. We started Saturday listening to Coaltrain's system, then Stevieboy's system (with his new DHT pre and 2A3 power amp). We then went went to Anilva's system(s) and then ended the day listening to my DIY Altec A7s and ATC systems. It reminded me of the Audio Yatra that Suri, Titus, Kannan, Stevieboy, Saikat & I did a few years ago.

I suggest you post your views / reviews of AP reference system too. Mods could be requested to change the thread title accordingly.

Great!! Let me start with the AP reference system. The AP Reference system consists of the AP CD Transport/Audio PC ->AP DAC ->AP Pre ->AP Active Crossover -> AP Power -> AP Floorstanding Speakers. The source and amplification were from AP's Thiyaga range and I had listened to them earlier with Siva's earlier speaker (Active Floorstander + Active Bass Units) and they were very good. But with the new speakers, Siva has taken it to an altogether new level.

The new speakers are the best AP speakers I have heard so far. While most AP products are quite dynamic, this one takes the cake. The new speakers are a 4 driver - 3 way system (Mid-Tweeter-Mid-Bass) and apart from sounding great they look great too. They sound very open, effortless, coherent and dynamic. It sounds more like an enclosure-less design. The most significant change I could hear over previous AP speakers was the smoothness of the highs which are very detailed, airy, have sufficient bite and do their magic without piercing one's ears.

Siva has an excellent collection of music and he did an A/B on CD v/s Hi-Res using the AP DAC. We all felt that high def was sounding very similar to Vinyl. I have an Analog Productions Verve LP of the record Ella and Louis and high def that Siva played sounded exactly like that. I have heard the CD as well and it just does not come close. I thought this was amazing and anybody contemplating getting into Hi-Res should visit Siva's place for a demo.

We also listened to the AP Swara range of Pre-Power and Speakers while Siva was planning a surprise for us. The Swara speakers were based on Vifa drivers and were sounding great.

The surprise that Siva had in store for us was getting a Hindustani Classical singer and friend, Mithun to perform for us. Mithun was an extremely talented chap, he briefed us with some basics and also about his particular style of singing. I forget the exact sanskrit word (need help with the term please) that he used to described his style but the gist of it was that he singers of that style sang for one's own satisfaction, there was not much of pre-planning and the singer would sing freely without worrying or wanting to impress the audience. But Boy, were we impressed ?! Amazing talent and in some passages, hair on the nape of my neck and hands stood up. I was in total awe and felt very fortunate to be there. The other fortunate members present apart from the trio were gvenu, hifipal4all, iaudio & squarewave. It was very thoughtful of Siva for packing in this surprise for us and getting us to experience live music in the way we did.

What a way to end an already fantastic weekend the trio (Rajiv, Stevieboy and I) had !?!

Experiences of other systems to follow....watch this space :).

Rajiv

I have used the term Ali Baba's cave earlier to describe Anil's lair!

Indeed it is, Alibaba's cave is the apt word to describe Anil's man cave. And I always associate you George with Santa Claus, carrying back goodies for self and friends :).

What title do you want? Advantages of being a 'mod'.....

Regards
Hehehe, the title seems OK already

am gonna be in bangy this week end right on thru till tues eve.... would love to catch up with all of you! i particularly want to partake of Anil's cave, and santosh's and stevies and finyl's and GeorgeO's!

i know you all have work commitments, so am keeping my eve free for you guys, if you'll have me!

Have it all planned brother, I am travelling over the weekend and return just in time after your workshops. Looking forward to meeting you Manav :).

Welcome to Bangy and it would be my pleasure to have you at my place. I would be available in the morning hours so that you can come over any time on Mon/Tue. Let me know your plan buddy. :cheers:

The Bangalore trip started at Coaltrain's place. Great to meet someone from the same field and a very nice person to boot. A lovely place he's got. Cambridge audio CD player, Pathos hybrid amp and ProAc speakers. Listened to a few CDs including Harry Belafonte. My impressions were that the vocals were lovely. The bass however seemed to be not so tight. Maybe a little playing around with placement, room treatment after the system settles in after a while? Also the power is currently coming from an extension cord, changing that to a well built extension box should help a big deal all across the frequency range. Will be visiting him again once the amp has run in to help him change tubes. Another one in the tube gang :)

The next system was mine which I will omit hehe.

Then on to Anil's which I've already reviewed, unfortunately we had to curtail the visit due to time constraints, I would have loved to stay a bit more... time does get crunched when you visit a bunch of people spread out over town...

Then on to Santhosh's place. We started the listening with a Leben 600 amp then we listened with the Lyrita DHT pre and 45 globe SET amp. I feel a little awkward comparing another product to something I own, however in that system there was just no comparison. Anil has a similar system with his Altecs and there one could see what the Pass F5s were doing and they were doing a lot of things right. Here in comparison, the Leben fell short. I'm not going to compare price points I'm just comparing whole systems cos at the end of the day that's what matters. An individual product might shine in another system. eg I've heard the Leben at Arj's place and it did not seem out of place there. With the Lyrita pair, there was emotion in the voice, sadness, wistfulness, a catch here an inflection there. And lots of detail brought out by the DHT pre. Double bass had textured plucking and the big body of the instrument coming through, violins had believable string rasp one place you could actually perceive the player holding his bow and plucking notes, guitar had that delightful after sound of strings hit. Hmmmm made me wonder just what the Lyrita could do with upgraded trannies!

Back home, amps still lying on the floor unplugged, a long tiring weekend but the best one for a while :)

Last edited:
Adding a pic of the new AP speaker in the background while Mithun was performing:

f73a8c65.jpg

Looking forward to meet you Manav. Mon/Tue evenings look possible though these days I end up getting home quite late 9ish 10ish so will coordinate with Santhosh and plan. Finyl can also pop in to my place if its happening, its a long overdue visit!

Regards

Hey Manav, Which part of Bangalore would be be staying?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back