VU 60inch 4k purchase & initial views

paimpozhil

Hi Guys

I have been looking around in this forum to help decide which tv to buy
Now wanted to share the story for the others.

I always wanted to buy a big tv to replace my now old LG 32" screen I bought for like 35k on 2009.

It served us well and it had only two minor issues but we got into a bigger house so that tv looked tiny.

I bought VU 60 on Flipkart for 77k

https://www.flipkart.com/vu-152cm-6...LSTTVSENJZHFSWTZZ6HDZ3DH2&qH=273dfb0e04858617

Reasons for going with this TV:

I wanted to buy a big brand sony/Samsung or LG however after reading about LG OLED I was interested in buying it but it is just too out of budget at the moment like 2.2L being the minimum price so wanted to wait for the prices to come down.

We cannot wait forever so as a filler we decided to go with a budget brand then replace it later.

As there are a million budget brands we wanted to pick one and see which one has good warranty support,etc.

We zeroed in on VU then had a look at a showroom here in Madurai to find if VU quality is good enough. We are not going to compare this to a Sony and we are a family that is happy with good enough quality :).

We used to live with crappy BPL TV for a decade so to our eyes the quality output from VU vs big brands is not that big of a deal to pay extra lakh or two.

We had a look at 55 inch VU 4k on the showroom, it was mostly okay but the video was slightly out of sync at times with audio in almost all sources may be the showroom piece was faulty and I did not like it.

We went to 60 inches because it was released just a few months ago and we believed the VU would have improved the firmware/whatnot.

Regarding the product:

It is good actually for the price and it exceeds our expectations.

Screen is VERY bright actually we had to tone it down a bit to make it watchable ( I was initially worried about the brightness )

There is a touch of backlight bleed around corners but it is not much of an issue you can notice only when the screen is pitch black and it is marginal.
I see this complaint in pretty much every brand.

The smart tv features are good and we were able to add a Bluetooth keyboard/trackpad and even though we have chromecast I never once needed it yet.

The HD upscaling is flawless and the 480 or 360p upscaling is not bad and this was one thing I was very skeptical i.e too many people worry about the upscaling ability of the tv and make it look like the only big brands do this decently and that the others suck.

The installation / demo was all good from Flipkart & its partner Jeeves.

If you are not a person that is too concerned about 99.99% vs 95% I would suggest go for non-luxury brands and this will help us on the long run by making the sony/samsung/lg lower their costs in India to compete which is win-win for all :)

Happy to answer any questions, Will post pics when i get a chance.

Could you please post pictures of interface, I need to make sure if its a TCL made TV or not.

If you are not a person that is too concerned about 99.99% vs 95% I would suggest go for non-luxury brands and this will help us on the long run by making the sony/samsung/lg lower their costs in India to compete which is win-win for all :)

@paimpozhil: Really good review! :thumbsup: I doubt if Sony or Samsung will ever lower down their prices however I really feel that there is tremendous potential for bang-for-buck TVs just like what happened in mobile phones... It gives us a choice. There will always be people who buy Apples of the world though...

can you give analysis on how you finalyzed on Vu TV (compare to other chinese brands like Le/Panasonic etc...

Hey Thanks Paimpozhil, I was looking at TCL in Amazon and this seems a good alternative as well. Where did you see in Madurai ? I am also from Madurai but currently working in Chennai !

Hey Thanks Paimpozhil, I was looking at TCL in Amazon and this seems a good alternative as well. Where did you see in Madurai ? I am also from Madurai but currently working in Chennai !

You can find them at

Auxtronics ?Contact Us | Auxtronics

Pricing however wasnt good they were quoting MRP and to be honest i wasnt really negotiating at all as it was like too high to even start.

55 4k was like 60k in flipkart and they were quoting 81k

@paimpozhil: Really good review! :thumbsup: I doubt if Sony or Samsung will ever lower down their prices however I really feel that there is tremendous potential for bang-for-buck TVs just like what happened in mobile phones... It gives us a choice. There will always be people who buy Apples of the world though...

I really wanted to buy the big brands however the price difference is like too big to even consider them . Happy with the purchase though and to be honest the difference is not as noticeable as apple vs a cheap chinese product

can you give analysis on how you finalyzed on Vu TV (compare to other chinese brands like Le/Panasonic etc...

That wasn't hard

1. 3 years warranty was longer than most, I was looking for atleast 3 years with this TV before I can buy an expensive OLED.

2. Ability to look at the TV in person before purchase as there was a dealer in Madurai for VU but not for others.

This was required because everyone was blaming about the Upscaling/sound/etc on all nonluxury brand tvs so I had to triple check.

3. VU brand seems to be like the voltas for AC where the LED TVs are their core so I trusted them to support better than lets say 'Hyundai' or Hitachi ,etc

4. They pricing was just about right in my budget

Wanted to add more to the review:

Sound : This TV Sound is just ordinary and nothing special so a Sound Bar is going to be necessary for movies/music .

Upscaling : early I praised the TV for 480p to 4k upscaling however I am using Airtel DTH and now I realize that the content the TV receives is already 1080i from the STB and it only does 1080 to 4k upscaling which is easy 1:4 upscale so I cant really vouch for real 360 or 480p upscaling yet. I will find out when I watch some videos on USB.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back