VU masterpiece GLO indepth review

Hey, sorry for the late response. I have been quite busy with work lately. So to begin with your shortlisted products, both of the options are decent. I am not going to finalize a TV out of these two options because of the budget you mentioned. The reason I bought VU masterpiece glo was that it was going into my parent's bedroom. They have large windows and they get plenty of direct sunlight and they don't want to block the natural sunlight. In this scenario, I needed a TV with high peak brightness plus they arent so picky about blacks like me. For them its the perfect TV for that particular budget. For them, greyish blacks are not a deal breaker. Neither do they care about judder or HDR performance. The only reason I reviewed the TV is just that I could. Keeping in mind the budget you mentioned I would recommend you to stay away from the options you shortlisted. You have a great budget and you can spend that money wisely on something like an OLED. OLED was not a consideration for me as my parents wouldn't know how to take proper care of the TV. However, if I were in your shoes I would look for a good deal on LG C1 or Sony A80J. If your room gets quite bright, then I would consider something like Samsung QN90B. These are very standard recommendation and they are intentionally so because they are very safe bets.
Thanks Alphaforest for taking time of your busy schedule. In the interim, I have decided to go for LG 65B2/C2 and have joined relevant groups for the same too. Regarding Sony I found their A80/90 is way too expensive than LG, so dont know how much of that premium will translate into a better picture over C2

Thanks Alphaforest for taking time of your busy schedule. In the interim, I have decided to go for LG 65B2/C2 and have joined relevant groups for the same too. Regarding Sony I found their A80/90 is way too expensive than LG, so dont know how much of that premium will translate into a better picture over C2
LG C2 is might fine TV and you'll be happy with it. Sony will be 3-5% better subjectively and with proper calibration, they should be on par. You made a great decision, enjoy!

Hey guys, So I've had the Tv for around 3 weeks now and I spent 1 week testing the heck out of it. I tested the TV in a similar manner I test my Monitors with a little addition to Dolby Vision and HDR10+ testing. The Colorimeter I used for testing is Xrite i1 Display Pro. The software used for testing was DisplayCal. The picture modes used for testing were Calibrated mode for SDR content, HDR cinema for HDR content, DOLBY Vision IQ for DV content, and HDR10+ CInema for HDR10+ content with motion enhancement turned off, Digital Noise turned off, sharpness set to the default value of 0 and Active contrast turned off. I did not test Motion enhancement on this TV as I prefer it off in whatever mode I am. Also since I prefer gaming on my Monitor, I did not care about gaming performance, nor did I test this TV for its 4k120hz capabilities. Also, no upscaling or SD/HD channel performance was tested as I do not use any satellite Tv service anymore nor do I have the desire to test just for the sake of it.

Let's Start with the display, you may already know this but the display type is ADS-IPS display. Due to it being an IPS display, the contrast levels are really poor. 4x4 ANSI checkerboard with a set D65 white point, the contrast ratio was around 1300:1 with local dimming disabled and with Local Dimming enabled the contrast ratio was measured around 1800:1. The number of zones measured was 32 which is what the company claims it to be. The size of zones is quite large and blooming is observable during dark scenes and more pronounced in subtitles or areas around text and even appreciable during the day. This is quite expected though because of the size of the dimming zones in addition to the poor implementation of the dimming algorithm. I tested the local dimming in the starfield test at off, low, medium, and high settings and there was a little black crush observable at high settings. Medium turned out to be the best setting. Compared to regular IPS-ADS panels, black is superior on this Tv however nothing compared to OLED or VA panels. If inky blacks are your fetish then you have to look somewhere else. A better local dimming algorithm would have mitigated this issue. In bright scenes, poor black levels are not such a huge issue due to high peak brightness which gives a contrasty image.

This panel has excellent grey uniformity with No DSE on my unit. Vignetting is present on the corners and is noticeable. The colors are really good post calibration, the reds were a little exaggerated pre-calibration but were easily fixable. Average dE2000 was measured post-calibration of 1.22 with a Max dE2000 of 2.57. Post-calibration the colors look really natural. DCI-P3 coverage was 95% post calibration and Rec2020 was 70%.

HDR performance of this TV is excellent, post calibration with white point set to D65 following peak brightness values were observed.

870 nits in a 10% window
968 nits in a 25% window
561 nits in 100% window

PQ EOTF tracking on this particular unit is rather poor with darker scenes being displayed as darker than usual. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ performance is really good and it somehow improves the local dimming and even tries to preserve the highlights in really bright scenes.

The company claimed 100-watt speaker output seems a bit of an exaggeration and the audio is a bit better than the competition but nothing out of this world as the company claims it to be and as expected Dolby Atmos from internal speakers is not appreciable. A decent soundbar or HT setup will provide a much better experience. Even a budget 2.1 setup like M10 swans or bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1280 will be a nice upgrade. Far-field microphones work like a charm even in noisy environments. The Remote is entirely made out of Aluminium but still kind of feels cheap. It is rather long and cluttered with unnecessary buttons.

The performance is rather decent on this TV and it uses Mediatek MT5895 clocked at 1.8ghz accompanied with Mali G52 GPU which is rather weak. Boot time is respectable and is under 30 secs, app loading times are decent as well. Internal storage is marketed as 16GB out of which 7.9 GB is available for users. It can be upgraded via external USB 3.0 storage or maybe a portable SSD.

Overall, for the price, this TV has decent performance and has its own advantages compared to similarly priced TVs. This TV outperforms its competition in terms of HDR performance along however weak black levels leave a sour taste in the mouth.
My main issue with this TV was that while playing HDR10 content via USB, for some reason the scenes were very dark. Everything was unnoticeable. I have no idea how this can be fixed. Any suggestions?

My main issue with this TV was that while playing HDR10 content via USB, for some reason the scenes were very dark. Everything was unnoticeable. I have no idea how this can be fixed. Any suggestions?
If you read my review, I did mention about poor PQ EOTF tracking. Due to this behaviour, darker scenes will look darker and there is not much you can do even with professional calibration.

If you read my review, I did mention about poor PQ EOTF tracking. Due to this behaviour, darker scenes will look darker and there is not much you can do even with professional calibration.
So should I avoid HDR videos all together or would this be an issue even in 1080p resolution?

So should I avoid HDR videos all together or would this be an issue even in 1080p resolution?
Well, they shouldn't be unwatchable, to begin with, It should still be a decent HDR experience, just not a very accurate one. If this only happens with content loaded via USB, I'd recheck the source. Try downloading some original content like DV videos from Dolby's website or HDR stock footage. If you're downloading ripped content then firstly I would discourage it and secondly, there's no guarantee what is even being supplied by them.

Well, they shouldn't be unwatchable, to begin with, It should still be a decent HDR experience, just not a very accurate one. If this only happens with content loaded via USB, I'd recheck the source. Try downloading some original content like DV videos from Dolby's website or HDR stock footage. If you're downloading ripped content then firstly I would discourage it and secondly, there's no guarantee what is even being supplied by them.
So this is the workaround that works for me. I make sure that whatever high quality content I watch on the TV is in Doly vision MP4. MKV doesn't work well. But DV MP4 largely solves all my problems.

Hey guys, So I've had the Tv for around 3 weeks now and I spent 1 week testing the heck out of it. I tested the TV in a similar manner I test my Monitors with a little addition to Dolby Vision and HDR10+ testing. The Colorimeter I used for testing is Xrite i1 Display Pro. The software used for testing was DisplayCal. The picture modes used for testing were Calibrated mode for SDR content, HDR cinema for HDR content, DOLBY Vision IQ for DV content, and HDR10+ CInema for HDR10+ content with motion enhancement turned off, Digital Noise turned off, sharpness set to the default value of 0 and Active contrast turned off. I did not test Motion enhancement on this TV as I prefer it off in whatever mode I am. Also since I prefer gaming on my Monitor, I did not care about gaming performance, nor did I test this TV for its 4k120hz capabilities. Also, no upscaling or SD/HD channel performance was tested as I do not use any satellite Tv service anymore nor do I have the desire to test just for the sake of it.

Let's Start with the display, you may already know this but the display type is ADS-IPS display. Due to it being an IPS display, the contrast levels are really poor. 4x4 ANSI checkerboard with a set D65 white point, the contrast ratio was around 1300:1 with local dimming disabled and with Local Dimming enabled the contrast ratio was measured around 1800:1. The number of zones measured was 32 which is what the company claims it to be. The size of zones is quite large and blooming is observable during dark scenes and more pronounced in subtitles or areas around text and even appreciable during the day. This is quite expected though because of the size of the dimming zones in addition to the poor implementation of the dimming algorithm. I tested the local dimming in the starfield test at off, low, medium, and high settings and there was a little black crush observable at high settings. Medium turned out to be the best setting. Compared to regular IPS-ADS panels, black is superior on this Tv however nothing compared to OLED or VA panels. If inky blacks are your fetish then you have to look somewhere else. A better local dimming algorithm would have mitigated this issue. In bright scenes, poor black levels are not such a huge issue due to high peak brightness which gives a contrasty image.

This panel has excellent grey uniformity with No DSE on my unit. Vignetting is present on the corners and is noticeable. The colors are really good post calibration, the reds were a little exaggerated pre-calibration but were easily fixable. Average dE2000 was measured post-calibration of 1.22 with a Max dE2000 of 2.57. Post-calibration the colors look really natural. DCI-P3 coverage was 95% post calibration and Rec2020 was 70%.

HDR performance of this TV is excellent, post calibration with white point set to D65 following peak brightness values were observed.

870 nits in a 10% window
968 nits in a 25% window
561 nits in 100% window

PQ EOTF tracking on this particular unit is rather poor with darker scenes being displayed as darker than usual. Dolby Vision and HDR10+ performance is really good and it somehow improves the local dimming and even tries to preserve the highlights in really bright scenes.

The company claimed 100-watt speaker output seems a bit of an exaggeration and the audio is a bit better than the competition but nothing out of this world as the company claims it to be and as expected Dolby Atmos from internal speakers is not appreciable. A decent soundbar or HT setup will provide a much better experience. Even a budget 2.1 setup like M10 swans or bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1280 will be a nice upgrade. Far-field microphones work like a charm even in noisy environments. The Remote is entirely made out of Aluminium but still kind of feels cheap. It is rather long and cluttered with unnecessary buttons.

The performance is rather decent on this TV and it uses Mediatek MT5895 clocked at 1.8ghz accompanied with Mali G52 GPU which is rather weak. Boot time is respectable and is under 30 secs, app loading times are decent as well. Internal storage is marketed as 16GB out of which 7.9 GB is available for users. It can be upgraded via external USB 3.0 storage or maybe a portable SSD.

Overall, for the price, this TV has decent performance and has its own advantages compared to similarly priced TVs. This TV outperforms its competition in terms of HDR performance along however weak black levels leave a sour taste in the mouth.
Can you share your calibration settings so that i can use it as a reference?

Watching in my 55 VU glo masterpiece television ( for my personal opinion for 74'k with 3 years warranty ) good deal ( i purchased around 2 months before )

Attachments

• 20221116_185337.jpg
    20221116_185337.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 27
Can somebody let me know if you are able to watch UHD content on default prime video app? Normally in apps such as disney+ , netflix etc. , going to signal information while playing the content shows you the details like 4k hdr 8 bit or 10 bit and so on. But in prime video which ever title I play its showing only 1080p. For example, I am currently watching 'Rings of Fire' and the signal info is showing 1080p 10 bit hdr, in this case that is dolby vision.

Can somebody let me know if you are able to watch UHD content on default prime video app? Normally in apps such as disney+ , netflix etc. , going to signal information while playing the content shows you the details like 4k hdr 8 bit or 10 bit and so on. But in prime video which ever title I play its showing only 1080p. For example, I am currently watching 'Rings of Fire' and the signal info is showing 1080p 10 bit hdr, in this case that is dolby vision.
I have no idea atm but will let you know when I’m back home. It sounds more like an Amazon issue or maybe some issue with device identity. Amazon has strong DRM policies and maybe they don’t have the device in their list to support 4K atm. I’d suggest you contact VU custom yet support for better resolution

I am zeroing in on this TV. It's vfm for it's price. But how is the quality. I have heard horror stories where TV died in a month after buying buyer has to spend heartily for repair. Any idea anyone?

I am zeroing in on this TV. It's vfm for it's price. But how is the quality. I have heard horror stories where TV died in a month after buying buyer has to spend heartily for repair. Any idea anyone?
If you are looking for VFM then go for TCL C825 65 inch selling at 89990 at Amazon. I just ordered the same.

If you can find LG A1 or new A2 around the same price during festival sale then go for it. Blacks in VU masterpiece will disappoint you to say the least. The peak brightness is outstanding but that is not the sole criteria. Plus there are blooming issues. If you don’t want an OLED then I suggest buying 50inch QN90A. It’s the only alternative to OLED tv in this price range.
I second this.

Thanks for the clarity on Masterpiece and U6G Alphaforest!!. Having watched multiple Indian TV reviewers, I agree with you that they don't have the depth and inclination to provide unbiased reviews.

I currently own a 6 year old 50 inch VU TV, bought without much thought at the time, and am now looking to buy a good 65 inch TV. Am also looking for a 65 inch TV to be used with Fire TV stick. I mostly watch YouTube or Netflix/Prime Video/Disney Hotstar etc.. in my bed room with little light. No set top box. Picture quality is my main concern. Average sound quality is acceptable as I have an AV receiver with 2.1/5.1 options.

I have shortlisted Hisense U6G and am thinking about U7H too if its discernably better in picture quality. But VU Masterpiece and Glo LED TVs are at the back of my mind too!! I can stretch my budget to 1.5L also if the alternative (thinking of Sony X90H/85J/90J) is vastly superior to the above mentioned options. If difference in picture quality is 15-20%, I would rather stick to Hisense or VU.

Would you be able to throw some light on how to go about it? :)
I just bought 65" X80K for my parents just under 80k. And I already have 65" X90J. X90J is undoubtedly a great TV after calibration but difference is minimal around 10-15% only between the 2, DV and darkscene performance and X90J is a lot smoother though but not a deal breaker for X80K. If you are extending budget get OLED. I regret buying LG CX by not extending budget a year ago. I bought 65" X90J for 1.24L. The price difference is 54K. PQ bump is not 54k worth. Hope you got my point.

Thanks for the clarity on Masterpiece and U6G Alphaforest!!. Having watched multiple Indian TV reviewers, I agree with you that they don't have the depth and inclination to provide unbiased reviews.

I currently own a 6 year old 50 inch VU TV, bought without much thought at the time, and am now looking to buy a good 65 inch TV. Am also looking for a 65 inch TV to be used with Fire TV stick. I mostly watch YouTube or Netflix/Prime Video/Disney Hotstar etc.. in my bed room with little light. No set top box. Picture quality is my main concern. Average sound quality is acceptable as I have an AV receiver with 2.1/5.1 options.

I have shortlisted Hisense U6G and am thinking about U7H too if its discernably better in picture quality. But VU Masterpiece and Glo LED TVs are at the back of my mind too!! I can stretch my budget to 1.5L also if the alternative (thinking of Sony X90H/85J/90J) is vastly superior to the above mentioned options. If difference in picture quality is 15-20%, I would rather stick to Hisense or VU.

Would you be able to throw some light on how to go about it? :)
You are on the same boat as I was. I would suggest 65 X80K @ 80k. You won't get much for your money even if you spend higher for X90J or X90K. For the record, I already own X90J. It's a fantastic TV with Apple TV and Shield. But is the PQ worth the extra money over hisense U7H or VU Glomaster or X80K. Definitely not. Are you getting LG C1/C2, then definitely yes. X80K is pretty close, I am telling you. X85K doesn't have the size, hence didn't consider.

X74K vs U7H and VU Glowmaster vs X80K

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back