Want a compact stereo setup with bookshelf speakers under 20K

alclik

I am looking for a compact stereo setup with bookshelf speakers for my study room.

The audio source will be Bluetooth or Aux.
The budget is 15-20K INR.

I want this to be compact and economical as I have a stereo system in my living room
with Q Acoustics floor standing speakers paired with a Marantz stereo amplifier.

If you are open to single-unit setup then consider Marshall Acton (< 20K) or the Marshall Stanmore (~25K). As I said they are single-unit and not separates but nonetheless are stereo.

The SQ is way above anything I have heard in this range. I'd wager even setups costing more than 50k cannot match it for certain genres. The only problem is, if the room is big, the bass impact is not as much. Having said that, in my (approx) 4m x 4m bedroom I dare not put the volume knob beyond 30-40% and even at that volume the bass can point out if any screws on the surrounding furniture and fittings are loose or not. Has native Bluetooth and 3.5mm jack support (earlier models of Stanmore also had SPDIF they do not now see if you can grab an older one if you plan to.)

If your study is not really large in size, you cannot go wrong with this (esp. Stanmore). It shines in enclosed spaces like study/urban bedrooms.

@ubitoo Thank you for your suggestion. I've heard only good things about Marshall BT speakers. But I am looking for two separate speakers, also the look and feel of Marshall isn't my cup of tea :)

@dr_rocket Thank you! Yes, that's a very good speaker but I am trying to avoid 2.1 as it's difficult to manage all that wire and find a place for a large sub. What do you think of Swan Active Bookshelf Speakers do you have any experience with them? SWANS D1080-MKII and SWANS D1080-IVB seem like a good option.

Also, do you guys have any experience with the Edifier Bookshelf speakers? I have reading many good reviews on Edifier R1700BT or even Edifier R1280DB... are they really good.

Or do you think I should go for two passive bookshelf speakers and some compact power amp (SMSL compact speaker amps come to my mind, do you have any other suggestion) ?

Few years ago I got my floor standing speakers and stereo amp from this forum member's suggestion and I am still very happy.
Hope this time also I manage to find something great within my constraints.

Or do you think I should go for two passive bookshelf speakers and some compact power amp (SMSL compact speaker amps come to my mind,

SMSL Q5 Pro (or) the likes of digital amplifiers + a pair of BS is easily doable within your budget and better in terms of connectivity..

Yes Swans active speakers are also good even though I have not experienced them personally. They are well reviewed in this forum.
However, passive speakers with stereo amp like SMSL will be better in my opinion

SMSL Q5 Pro (or) the likes of digital amplifiers + a pair of BS is easily doable within your budget and better in terms of connectivity..
Thank you. Where can buy SMSL Q5 Pro in India? On Amazon.in the price is ridiculous.

@dr_rocket Thank you. Any suggestion for the entry level Passive Bookshelf Speakers?

Many are there in the low price point.
Say taga harmony platinum one, available from hifimart at 11k. Also boston a25, wharfedale 210, mission lx1, etc

Thanks guys!

For speakers I can find quite a few options here in India - even within my budget.
But I am not able to find any compact SMSL or similar power amp here in Bangalore or India :(
Do you guys have any suggestion?

Best source is Ali Express with plenty of options. I bought SA36A plus from Ali express in 10 days without any duty.

@ Vinay2013 Thank you. Was it a paid shipping with tracking? Did you use credit card? as unlike few other sites AliExpress don't accept Paypal.

@Yogesh I am looking for something compact and sleek. Norge options are too large for my need.

Hi All,

I myself Premod Dev from Bangalore, this is my first post .... I also in a similar situation to finalize on a stereo system for a small room size 12x12 feet. The requirement is similar as @alclik , so not repeating. Initially (still in dilemma) thought of going with active bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1700BT , FD R60BT. After reach this forum mind changed, and thinking of using separate AMP and passive bookshelf speaker pairs.

@elangoas what are the speakers you are using with SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier? How is the performance?

Hi All,

I myself Premod Dev from Bangalore, this is my first post .... I also in a similar situation to finalize on a stereo system for a small room size 12x12 feet. The requirement is similar as @alclik , so not repeating. Initially (still in dilemma) thought of going with active bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1700BT , FD R60BT. After reach this forum mind changed, and thinking of using separate AMP and passive bookshelf speaker pairs.

@elangoas what are the speakers you are using with SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier? How is the performance?

@elangoas - sorry to jump in to the question posed to you.

Hello Premoddev, I too use SMSL Q5 Pro with a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC2 for desktop listening. They sound brilliant for near field listening. The DACs are clinical and detailed. So, initially you would feel that they are bright/edgy. They are more than adequate for 12 X12 room. PM me if you are interested in listening to SMSL Q5 Pro. It would give you an idea.

You can consider picking up the Frugal Horns put on sale by FM @manniraj since you are in Bangalore. They are brilliant DIY speakers. He has excellent spikes for isolation as well. All that you need to do is to position them correctly. You would save money on good speaker stands and they image brilliantly well. I had gone to buy them but bought his bigger DIY speakers (Jericho horn) as I have a larger room (needed more Bass).

The Frugal horns having 4 inch drivers would not have been adequate for my living room (11 X 18 with open spaces all around) and hence had to skip it. A smaller room will get you better bass response from these speakers. They might not have the bass of Dali or Elac, but the bass is real enough, and the realism of the mids & highs are palpable. I listened to Hindustani vocals in length was extremely impressed by it.

13K for speakers + 12K for SMSL Q5 Pro (selling around 140$ in aliexpress now) + 2K for cables and you should be all set

@alclik - sorry about the out of topic post.

Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL speakers.. I like them very much..

No problem..

Just like @arunkvivek , i use SMSL Q5 Pro with Taga Harmony S90 SL on my desktop in a 10 x 10 ft room, near field listening and meets my requirements of PC playback..

Sometime back, i had paired the SMLS Q5 Pro with Klipsch RP 160M speakers in my living room of 14 x 11 ft room and it was just enough..

Hello Premoddev, I too use SMSL Q5 Pro with a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC2 for desktop listening. They sound brilliant for near field listening. The DACs are clinical and detailed. So, initially you would feel that they are bright/edgy. They are more than adequate for 12 X12 room. PM me if you are interested in listening to SMSL Q5 Pro. It would give you an idea.

You can consider picking up the Frugal Horns put on sale by FM @manniraj since you are in Bangalore. They are brilliant DIY speakers. He has excellent spikes for isolation as well. All that you need to do is to position them correctly. You would save money on good speaker stands and they image brilliantly well. I had gone to buy them but bought his bigger DIY speakers (Jericho horn) as I have a larger room (needed more Bass).

The Frugal horns having 4 inch drivers would not have been adequate for my living room (11 X 18 with open spaces all around) and hence had to skip it. A smaller room will get you better bass response from these speakers. They might not have the bass of Dali or Elac, but the bass is real enough, and the realism of the mids & highs are palpable. I listened to Hindustani vocals in length was extremely impressed by it.

13K for speakers + 12K for SMSL Q5 Pro (selling around 140$ in aliexpress now) + 2K for cables and you should be all set

@alclik - sorry about the out of topic post.

Thanks @arunkvivek for the detailed reply... I checked the offering from @manniraj , but I am afraid it will be an overkill for my small bedroom space in case of space availability.... that's why active bookshelf speakers was the initial consideration.. Not sure if that fits in my living room which is not in a perfect shape, its more open with living+dining+kitchen..

Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL speakers.. I like them very much..

No problem..

Just like @arunkvivek , i use SMSL Q5 Pro with Taga Harmony S90 SL on my desktop in a 10 x 10 ft room, near field listening and meets my requirements of PC playback..

Sometime back, i had paired the SMLS Q5 Pro with Klipsch RP 160M speakers in my living room of 14 x 11 ft room and it was just enough..

Thanks @elangoas for the details.. infact I am new to this area and I am looking for my first true audiophile system.. all these days using some 2.1 multimedia systems..

Back