Want a HTIB near by 50k

vinsks

hi i am from delhi.
i am planning to buy a HTIB for music and movie. my budget is approx 50k. i like onkyo. i have also listen jamo with onkyo amp in ezone. however i am bit confuse. please provide me some good option....

PLEASE HELPPPPPPP..............

Check my arlier posts and this site -you'll find a lot of Examples esp-
1) Denon
2) Yamaha
3) Harman + JBL
4) Yamaha + Warfadale Speakers
5) Any amp+ Jamo Speakers

@vinsks - You can check out the options "hemantwaghe" has listed. Otherwise for your budget I will definitely recommend Onkyo 5100 and then later on depending on your finances you can add a couple of BS or FS to enhance the setup to be more musical. Though please note that this will never perform like a true audiophile system or even a dedicated 2.0 system. But this will be the best in terms of your budget so please audition and go for it. It will give you a blast and definitely VFM too.

The most frequent thread on the forum, I beleive is HT for 50K. Now, everyone suggests setup for 80-100K or says to assemle HT on piecemeal basis? But, most of the 50k guys are mostly stretched too thin and having low cashflow. They might not spend too much in fututre due to other commitments. Most of them start with low budget and as their paasionate about heir music/movies, get inspired after going through this forum, They stretch budget to 50k. So, in this thread lets try to assemble a reasonable system around 50K. I request all experts and regulars to contribute generously in this thread, to help our friends in their quest. For, 50k, I think there are few good options. I am listing my last few weeks research below. Pl update prices mentioned and suggest other options.

1. Receiver Yam 363 Around 17-18K
Yam 463 about 20 K
Denon 1509 Don't know exact, buwould be in range.

2. Front BS Wharf 9.2/10.1 15K
BS Polk TSI 200 <15K
FS Polk TSi 300 <20K
BS Polk Rti a1 15

Now, Made in india and a bit low budget.
Sonodyne Sonus FS 2605V2 11k
Sonodyne Avant BS 150 9k

Now, i am not listing JAmo FS, YAm FS 7390/8390 as forum doesn't think highly of them. I am listing only Speakers are reated highly by forum.

3. Center & Surround

Wharfe WH2 11 K
Sonodyne Sonus Center C2401+Sonus Rearr v2(BI-pol) 10K
YAmaha NSP 60 5K
JAmo Cen+Surr

I beleive, here money can be saved.

4. Sub
Polk PSW 110 <13K
Norge NSW 100 <9K
Sonodyne Roarr 210 15K
Sonodyne Roarr 108 9K

One, other options is buying 5105 nad upgrading the Fronts from above listing. This is the easiest and lowest cost option.

Now, THere remains 4 questions regarding above mentioned setup.

1. How good are WH2?
2. How advisable is to use chepa Yam/Sonodyne center+surround ? What effect it will be on SQ?
3. How will polk/Sono/Norge sub will perform with thissetup?
4. Diff of Sq btween above mentioned setup and upgraded 5105?

Again, I request all experts and regulars to contributr generously in this thread, to help our friends in their quest. Alos, keep in mind VFM.

BTW, I am also planning my setup in couple of months along the same line.

Thanks for being patient in reading so far.

Regards,

Yogesh.

Great going Yogesh, certainly commendable and very good indeed.

My only problem is with the AVRs you've listed. Too entry level and not enough punch. The Onkyo 5100 AVR is 7.1 and definitely packs more punch.

Hi Vinsks

You could probably look at the Harman Kardon / JBL combination. It delivers great sound for the price and is pretty close to your budget. Although the amplifier has a modest power rating, it must be heard to be believed.

The 250W JBL subwoofer really kicks some lows. The highs are legendary JBL - crisp & clear.

All in all, It's a system hard to beat.

Cheers
Sharman

Great going Yogesh, certainly commendable and very good indeed.

My only problem is with the AVRs you've listed. Too entry level and not enough punch. The Onkyo 5100 AVR is 7.1 and definitely packs more punch.

What about Denon 1709? In gray, it wuld be around 20K.

What I gather from your post is that, 5100 is beter than assembled 50K set-up. pls comment.

I would like more comments from experts on 50K setup as it is most frequent request on forum.

Last edited:
What about Denon 1709? In gray, it wuld be around 20K.

What I gather from your post is that, 5100 is beter than assembled 50K set-up. pls comment.

I would like more comments from experts on 50K setup as it is most frequent request on forum.

The Denon 1709 looks good, but I've not heard it.

It's not that the entry level HTIBs or even the 50K ones are good than assembled ones. In fact most of the times they are the only ones available at that budget. You have HTIBs starting from Rs. 20-25K in Onkyo, Yamaha and you just cannot assemble anything at that price and even if you do then its certainly not going to perform as well as the abovementioned HTIBs. I would feel this would be true of the 50K package too. Actually the Onkyo 5100 costs around 40-42K. Nothing assembled at that price will perform at par from what I've seen. Also, with these HTIBs the AVRs are good. Only the speakers are not top of the line as they are in-house.

Of course if you can afford it then nothing like the Yamaha 663/863 with the Q-Acoustics 1010i package, but this will cost quite a bit over 50K, nearer to 80K or so, but this is a package I've been very impressed with. Really excellent for movies and good too for music.

If someone wants to build the HT over a period of time, the first thing he'd invest in is the AVR. Looking at the various post on this forum, the Yamaha 663 is supposed to be a good all rounder for mid range. This is something that even the entry level HT enthusiast may consider despite it's price as he'd rather upgrade/expand the speaker setup but AVR is for keeps.

So to go along with Yamaha 663 what are the VFM front bookshelves that one can start off with. Alternately, some non-audiophile like me may also go for a decent 5.1 speaker set (70/30 for movies). I was wondering what options does one have here.

One more query - when one talks about power when it comes to AVR/speaker combo - what does one mean? Does having more power equate to maintaining same SQ at even higher volumes? Or is it something else? I am not someone who'd like to listen to high volumes, ever. What should someone like me look for when evaluating speakers.

Last edited:
Hi Yogesh and others,

I recently setup a home theater for less than 50k.

AVR - yamaha 463 - 18.5K

Front FS: Yamaha NS8390 - 9k
NS-8390 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

Yamaha NSP60 - center and surround - 6.5 K
NSP-60 : YAMAHA Audio and Video

V-guard digi 100 - 2.2k

Total: Around 37K.

The person is a newbie in to hi-fi and i took him to the shop and asked him to audition this setup. He was happy with the sound quality and he said it is VFM.

Subwoofer purchase still pending:

Since the Floor stander has 8 inch woofer, for his room of 10*10 the bass produced is just enough.

He is enjoying it now.

Thanks,
Prakash.

What is the major difference between yamaha 463 and 636?

If one opts to go for 636 and reduce the budget of his speakers (get BS instead of FS), does he have any options out there? (All within 50K)

What is the major difference between yamaha 463 and 636?

assuming you are talking about 663, 663 has HD audio decoding like DTS True HD, Dolby True HD, pure direct function, DIgitalYopart function, advance circutiry, 7.2 channels etc

Comparison Detail

If one opts to go for 636 and reduce the budget of his speakers (get BS instead of FS), does he have any options out there? (All within 50K)

663 will cost you around 35k. and you are left with only 15k of your 50k budget.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hai prakash,
How about the combination of Yamaha 463 with Energy take classic 5.1 (18.5 +32.5K)?

Hi Ravi, I haven't auditioned this combination. But Energy take classic speakers are really good. The combination would be good. Try to audition this and decide.

Why dont u try a basic Marantz reciever, which u should get around 20-22kk and Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ 5.1 speaker set up for around 21k.

You have a wonderful setup for 41-43k.

Marantz and wharfedale couple well with each other.

One more query - when one talks about power when it comes to AVR/speaker combo - what does one mean? Does having more power equate to maintaining same SQ at even higher volumes? Or is it something else? I am not someone who'd like to listen to high volumes, ever. What should someone like me look for when evaluating speakers.

When one is talking about a move there are lots of dynamics involved. For one, you are driving 6 channels of sound in a 5.1 system. In addition, special emphasis has to be given to the front and centre channels as nearly 75% of sound is sent to these channels.

Most speaker have a minimum and maximum wattage specifications. The minimum wattage refers to the power the amplifier must supply before the speaker even wakes up or grunts. The maximum wattage refers to power at which the speaker will start distorting.

Let us say you have speakers with specification such as, say, 30 to 100 watts. If you take a amplifier that can deliver a maximum of 50 watts, the amplifier will be stretched all the time, At it's maximum volume, the amplifier has just 20 watts over the minimum of the speakers capacity. When there is sudden peak in sound signal (a crash, a bomb, an explosion or something similar), the amplifier will not be able to deliver the extra power needed to deliver the peaks. Secondly if you keep increasing the volume, the amplifier could start distorting and clipping quite easily. In many home theatres I have seen that it is difficult to hear regular dialogues. You increase the sound, and when a peak arrives you hear distorted sound. So you keep fiddling with the volume control ceaselessly.

On the other had, if you have an amplifier with a power output of say 120 watts, it will be able to drive the speakers easily. and have ample power in hand to handle dynamic peaks in the sound signal.

In a well designed room and system, you need never to increase the volume beyond, roughly, 1/3rd the amp's power. At 75dB of SPL in your sitting position, you should be able to hear the whispered dialogues clearly, and at the same time, not cringe when a explosion happens.

Another advantage of having ample power is the capacity of the amplifier to clearly differentiate between different sounds and deliver them realistically. One example I give often is from the movie - Gladiator. In Chapter two, when Maximux races down the hillside on his horse, his dog runs ahead of him and the camera focuses on the dog for a few seconds. How many of you have heard the laboured breathing of the dog coming from the centre channel, over and above all the noises of war coming from all the other speakers? Another movie I have recently fallen in for special sound effects is The Haunting. A good system must make you hair stand on end. There are many such examples.

SQ for a movie sound is not about amplitude. It is about clarity of dialogues, good delivery of music, and the creation of environment that the director so badly wants you to experience.

Cheers

That's exactly the kind of explanation a n00b like me needed. Thanks venkatcr.

Extending the query further, assuming that one gets a receiver which has a 120 watt max power, what kind of speakers should one get? Again the speakers have specs like the min and max wattage.

Also, how does the range of a speaker help? e.g. 30Khz to 80Khz (or is it Hz). From what I understand it's the range of frequency that the speaker can handle. What is the normal frequency range thrown up by a regular 5.1 DTS movie DVD or a regular stereo audio CD? If one is looking at getting speakers apart from the way they 'sound' during demos, one should also look at the specs right? I mean, during the demo a non-audiophile may not be able to make out if the speakers are missing a complete frequency range 20-30 MHz if we have not heard that source on high-end speakers before !!!

So if one wants to go for a regular center and front speakers which can take care of lower frequencies until one upgrades to a woofer later, what kind of ranges should he be looking at?

In general, what are the ranges that front, center, surround and woofer speakers should handle in a typical 5.1 movie setup?

The hearing range of a child is roughly between 20HZ to 20KHZ. This capacity keeps on diminishing as the person ages.. so for a middle aged person with normal hearing, we can expect 40hz to 14khz.

This freq spectrum can be roughly divided into frequency bands as per the sounds we can generally relate to.
Human voice is genreally in the 2khz to 4 khz range with the female voice have a better upper limit. As the frquency increases, the shrillness or sharpness increases and as it decreases the boominess or bass increases.
The fronts and the center speakers handle the human voice part and therefore they should have a flat response in the human voice range. Likewise the subwoofer handles all the boom sounds (earthquake sounds, bombs, sledge hammer, gurgle of water etc) so the subwoofer should generally have a flat response in the 20hz to 200hz range.. We have cross overs to determine the range of frequency which the subwoofer can handle so as to provide a flat response.

Likewise your tweeters (they are part of your fronts) are specially designed to handle the high frequencies..

Summary, all the components in your system must together provide a flat response in your hearing range which is usually the 20HZ to 20KHZ

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back