Want to add a Blu ray player but...

sanro

Hi ,

So , I want to add a blu ray player ( BDP-S370/B ) to my existing setup ( HTiB DAV-DZ810 and 32NX500 LCD ) .

Home theater / DVD receiver has only one HDMI OUT and LCD has 4 HDMI Inputs.

Now , I can connect BD player via its HDMI out to HDMI IN on LCD and BD player's Optical Out to HTiB's Optical IN.

With this connection , I guess I will get HD video and DD 5.1 and DTS but not HD Audio ( True HD , DTS MA etc ) because optical cannot handle HD Audio ?

Can HDMI switcher or splitter help in here to received HD audio and video from BDplayer ( S370) into HTiB's HMDI port ?

Thanks .

Your HTiB does not have a HDMI input and it does not decode HD Audio. So you will need to connect the BluRay player to the TV with HDMI and connect the audio to the HTiB using an optical connection. There is no way a HDMI Splitter will allow the HTiB's HDMI output to be used as a input so that the HTiB can process HDMI audio stream from the BluRay player.

All BluRay discs come with a AC3 or DTS track and you would also want to note that the AC3 & DTS tracks on BluRay are at higher bitrates than on DVDs. So most likely you will still get better audio quality when you play a BluRay disc v/s playing a DVD even though you are using the DVD era codecs to play out music.

-- no1lives4ever

Hi there,

If you HTIB system has HDMI inputs, why not do the HD decoding in the player and then send the audio to your HTIB via the same, then you will get HD audio too. This is of course dependent on what type of HDMI input it is. No need to use optical outputs then.

Cheers

^ ^ ^ ^
His system does not have HDMI IN, it only has HDMI OUT for sending video to the television. His only option is to connect an Optical cable from blu-ray player to the HTiB to get surround audio. Else, he needs to purchase a new AVR with speakers.

^ Thats right. I dont have any HDMI inputs on DVD/Receiver. My option is only optical in.
anyways.. I bought that BD player and I am quite happy with the kind of sound I am getting when I play Blu ray disks. I played that 2012 and the sound was rocking. Much better than the DVDs I play on DVD player.

When Blu ray was playing the movie , I clicked on Display button on remote and it showed 1080/24p HD , dts-hd master audio 5.1ch 48khz 3.0 MBPS etc

I first thought my receiver was processing that but quickly realized it was BD player. I am not sure what exactly I am missing due to no HDMI connection for HD audio.. but considering that I am in a rented place..this sort of setup I think is quite ok..and I am happy with it. BUT I HONESTLY WISH THAT THIS HTIB had at least ONE HDMI input then it would have changed the game..complete HD.

anyways..for now I am living ( or will have to live ) with following

32NX500
DAV-DZ810
BDP-S370/B
Vaio Z series Full HD laptop
150+ DVD ( Eng+ Hindi )
2 blu rays..and need to get more..

sorry my bad,

What about analogue inputs? Do you have them in this system, at least may be you can use analogue inputs using a compatible 7.1 out BD player?

Cheers

Dear Sanro,

Don't you worry connecting the HDMI directly to the TV, it is the best way of connection to achieve best quality pictures. Connecting Optical to the HTIB is lot enough to achieve good quality audio out put. That way you have a great set up now.

Thanks

Dear Sanro,

Don't you worry connecting the HDMI directly to the TV, it is the best way of connection to achieve best quality pictures. Connecting Optical to the HTIB is lot enough to achieve good quality audio out put. That way you have a great set up now.

Thanks

Please do not be misleading. Most modern AVRs with HDMI switching do a very good job of passing the HDMI video signals to the TV. Since HDMI is a digital protocol, there should not be any signal quality loss by using a intermediate piece of equipment.

I would agree with the connection of optical out to the HTiB giving out good sound. But this applies only to BluRay discs with DTS tracks. For discs with Dolby tracks, the HD audio versions sound much better than the standard Dolby Digital track that can be sent over optical out.

-- no1lives4ever

Yes..the video output is sperb. No issues there.

Movies with DTS tracks sounds better too..I think DD and DTS surround is mandetory for BD ? So I guess I would normally receive better DTS sound when using BD.

Yes..the video output is sperb. No issues there.

Movies with DTS tracks sounds better too..I think DD and DTS surround is mandetory for BD ? So I guess I would normally receive better DTS sound when using BD.

DTS is mandatory for the players, but not for the content encoding. I have bluray discs with only Dolby tracks. The big problem with dolby encoded sound on bluray is that the hd track can not be played on older generation players unlike with DTS tracks. So on those bluray discs, you will get sound that will be

With DTS blurays, if you select the DTS HD MA track, then the player typically will output the 1.5mbps DTS core track. This DTS Core track is encoded at roughly double the bitrate used for DVDs with DTS and in general sounds quite close to the original HD track.

-- no1lives4ever

^ Thanks for correcting me out there on DTS mandetory part. And I agree that DTS core sounds pretty nice on not too powerful receiver although not sure how close it is to HD track as I have not hear it yet in home theater environment.

how about DTS ES ? As per website it is an extended version of Core . wondering what sort of media ( DVD/BD ) would have that encoded .

^ Thanks for correcting me out there on DTS mandetory part. And I agree that DTS core sounds pretty nice on not too powerful receiver although not sure how close it is to HD track as I have not hear it yet in home theater environment.

how about DTS ES ? As per website it is an extended version of Core . wondering what sort of media ( DVD/BD ) would have that encoded .

DTS ES is a 6.1 audio format. You would need a 6.1 or a 7.1 setup to listen to it. On a 5.1 system, the DTS core portion would only play.

I would also be interested to know which BD/DVD discs have more than 5.1 channels in their encoding. Any popular movie that I might have missed?

-- no1lives4ever

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back