WANTED: A DEAD ARCAM FMJ Series Amplifier

What we really want to know, is the soundstage now 100 feet wide and as deep as a valley :)

Great work indeed

Yes. The MAS played the key role. If they would have denied my request, I can't reach anywhere.
Harman India supported on behalf of Arcam but wasn't successful. They won't do chip level service. Only the whole board can be replaced. It was not available too.
They gave me buy back option with JBL products but that wasn't my need.
Yesterday just after finishing the restore work I sent an e mail conveying my regards to whole MAS team for their kind support.
Hi John,

Problem is, the service centres in India generally dont repair at chip level. It is more cumbersome and less profitable for them that way . If out of product warranty, I would prefer to search and put my faith more in an independent reliable and experienced technical person rather than an authorised center. Authorised centers prefer replacing the entire circuit boards.
Their buy back option of JBL product for the Arcam is not reassuring though.

Regards,
Nitin

Hmm... I am happy you got issue sorted in the end. But i always find it strange that we have to use superlative adjectives on companies for doing basic duties like serving the customer. It shows the over all deterioration in customer service.

1.8 million dollar for a European company is very less. Which probably means they are low volume retail company and you are a good customer for them. Dont give more credit than it's due.
I would have a different opinion on this. A company big or small, regular or a one time client, good service is independent of all of the above. It should be an inherent trait or ethos of a business establishment which is rarely experienced nowadays.
In my opinion what MAS did was stellar.

Last edited:
What we really want to know, is the soundstage now 100 feet wide and as deep as a valley :)

Great work indeed
Ofcourse she is giving everything to make me happy. Amp is singing after 4 months and am that much happy to see her back home.

1.8 million dollar for a European company is very less. Which probably means they are low volume retail company and you are a good customer for them. Dont give more credit than it's due.
Who the hell cares what the Company is worth unless i own it ;)
At the End of the Day, they gave him spectacular service which is nice.

Cheers..

The op mentioned the size of the company in proportion to him as being minuscule in front of them. That's why I commented saying 1.8 million dollars is very small business.. For an EU company that's probably 3 people business no more. So if you have issue with company's worth you may have to take it up with op. I was trying to tell op that he is a valuable customer for that company and they did not do him a favor my selling him an IC for money.

They charged me for sure. The cost of 2 ic was around 3200 rupees (36 Euros). They were ready to send even a single piece also.
What profit they are going to get from this business.
The question is how many of us will be ready to do a business for a nil or very less profit.
If am getting a business offer of this much amount from US or Africa it's doubtful of accepting.
That's why am trying to say they are not just profit minded. They value real customer satisfaction at the end.

They charged me for sure. The cost of 2 ic was around 3200 rupees (36 Euros). They were ready to send even a single piece also.
What profit they are going to get from this business.
The question is how many of us will be ready to do a business for a nil or very less profit.
If am getting a business offer of this much amount from US or Africa it's doubtful of accepting.
That's why am trying to say they are not just profit minded. They value real customer satisfaction at the end.
I understand your satisfaction in having your issue resolved. I was explaining to another gentleman on why you cared about the size of the company.

Hmm... I am happy you got issue sorted in the end. But i always find it strange that we have to use superlative adjectives on companies for doing basic duties like serving the customer. It shows the over all deterioration in customer service.
As I understand. the said company (Regardless of size) had no obligation to provide the IC to John Mathew. As it was ARCAM which was not working; and the said company may had contract with ARCAM but not ARCAM's customers . As for superlative adjectives common people (Like John and Hiten) get ecstatic when things workout against odds. :)
addition : Congrats John ! enjoy the music.
Best regards.

Ps:I don't let a 14 yr old shoe die on me. So i get the spirit of making something whole again. Just philosophical on something else.

Dear FMs,

Please advise on the Best DAC under 20k Price range available in India now for Stereo Music streaming via Tidal/Spotify/AppleMusic etc. Also suggest if better alternative would be a Streamer.
Does Streamer have the same quality DAC? Ultimately best Music streaming is the requiement (Budget- for DAC Rs. 20k and for Streamer Rs. 30k)

Thanks in advance
arcam rblink

Hello FM's,

with the ever growing DAC options in India, I am utterly at a loss to decide a decent DAC to stream Tidal from either my iPad or Mac.

I have a 12x15 ft room.

My music preference are Blues/ Folk/ Instrumentals (especially Piano) and occasionally old school rock/vintage metal.

I can stretch my budget max up-to 65k.

My hardware detail is in the digital signature
ir dac

Hi All,

My current source consists of sonic Transporter which act as Roon core and streamer is pi2aes. DAC I am using is not super expensive however it measures well and it is a recommended DAC in ASR forum. I am feeding coax output to my DAC, my present DAC doesn't accept I2S input.

I like sound of my present system however upgrade bug is biting me :(.
I would like to improve audio performance. I am thinking of two options.

1) Upgrading Dac to Holo Audio May Dac (Kitsune edition) or Terminator plus
2) Improve my source by adding ether regen (from Uptone audio) and an external clock like After Dark clock ( Emperor Double Crown) and linear power supply.

Please see link below for after dark clock.

Which will make a bigger impact or which one is a better bang for buck? I know both are two different directions and both needs to be addressed but still like
now your thoughts.

Thanks
Renjith
i prefer upgrading DAC over streamer

AKS07 got me started on this.

Just got a bottle of McClelland a couple of days ago-I rate it as an excellent value for money single malt.Having tasted/stock some of the other better known brands like Laphroiag, Ardbeg, Glenfiddich, GlenMorangie, Glenlivet, Balvenie, I find if the smoky peaty flavour is too strong, I don't enjoy it as much as if it s a bit muted. Balvenie is more to my taste.

I have now shifted into wine drinking( though I do have a occasional single malt)

George
Single malt and high end audio a great combo

About a year ago, I I had made a presentation on this subject to a few music groups in Pune. The presentation contained music and video clips, anecdotes and trivia about the artistes being discussed. It was a bit dark, considering the nature of the subject, but also entertaining because of the artistry and talent on display. Happily, the presentation got a large section of the 'fringe' audience interested in jazz. I'm hoping that the same will happen here when I post excerpts of the presentation in this thread.
I'm not posting this under a new thread and not in the 'All that Jazz' thread with the hope that this will trigger the interest of those who have not yet fully stepped into the magical and fascinating world of jazz.
Enjoy!
EVA CASSIDY

Hi All,

I am in the process of building a stereo setup for listening to old and new Hindi movie songs. Mostly I was into movies but recently developed an interest in listening to music. Currently, I am playing music through my LG G8X phone connected directly to Indiq platinum dual-mono power amp through 3.5 mm to RCA cable. The power amp is connected to Indiq diamond achal speakers. The issue with the present setup is that the mobile is not a dedicated streaming device hence while listening to music its cant be used for other intended purposes. Hence I would like to add a decent DAC to my setup and use my NUC as a streaming device and later add a dedicated streamer such as IFI Zen Stream I have shortlisted some DACS in different price brackets purely based on the reviews and suggestions available in different forums. These are listed below:

1. Denafrips Ares II (in the higher budget)
2. SMSL SU 9/9N (in the mid-price segment)
3. Toppings E50 (in lower price segment)

This will be my first DAC purchase hence need suggestions in choosing the one which will go well with my current amp and speakers. Also, need to know whether should I buy a lower budget DAC now and later upgrade to a good DAC or buy a decent DAC so that it will serve the purpose for a longer period of time. Additionally, I seek recommendations for other DAC models which will match my gears.
ares II i prefer

Hello Forum Members,

Wish you Happy New Year - 2022.
Please write down your new year AV resolutions.
My resolution is to finish my HT.
NO MORE UPGRADES, realized its never ending process

Welcome, you have amazing stuffs

What are the Class D amp/power amp options available in India, Preferrably around 100W or 1L range?
Belcanto

Hello everyone,

I have been experimenting few things in my chain, trying different pre amps, power amps and new ways of listening music. Not that I am not satisfied but wanted to learn and feel how each change in a chain affected sound, in a good or bad way.

I have a Class D Crown XLS 2002 Power amp which I was using to power Q Accoustics 3050i which were connected to Denon x3700 and a FX Audio tube-03 Tube Pre Amp. This is around 375wpc at 8ohms.

I also have a NAD 320BEE Integrated Amplifier which can be used as power amplifier, I used this as a IA until now. With Class A/B at 50wpc at 8ohms.

One day, I decided to try the NAD as a power amplifier and test it with Crown XLS. Does more watts mean better? 50wpc Class A/B vs 375wpc class D.
Few wire swaps done, and started my test playlist.

Chain tested was:
1) Rpi Streamer > Tube Pre amp > NAD > Q acoustics 3050i
2) Rpi Streamer > Tube Pre amp > Crown XlS 2002 > Q acoustics 3050i

The Result:
1) Nad 320BEE Power Amp - The result was astonishing, everything felt much smoother yet punchy, I could immediately tell the bass and mids were better, highs slightly controlled. I could literally feel bass hitting my body.
I can listen to this at high volume whole day without fatigue. At low or moderate volumes, the bass is still felt.

2) Crown XLS 2002 - I was used to listening to this combo more often , the bass was tight and controlled. But it did not hit my body like the case with NAD. Has slightly sparkly highs. This chain feels more digital and one can notice the resolution is much better.
I cannot listen to this at high volumes, or it is just me. The sparkly highs are a issue for me. At low or moderate volumes the bass is still tight but cannot be felt.

Two things to point out:
1) Why the NAD 320BEE did not sound so good as a standalone Integrated amplifier? ANSWER is Pre Amp section! I had read it online multiple times the pre amp section is weak point of the NAD 320BEE. And by using and testing it as a power amplifier alone with a different pre amp it stands true.
Not that it is bad, but my whole system came alive when I added a tube Pre amp, I even tested with my Denon x3700 as pre amp and it still sounds better than using as IA.

2) Should One use Crown XLS for music? definitely yes but with caution. Your speakers shouldn't be bright but neutral or warm can do good. Crown XLS sounds too good at medium volume for music which has instruments specially Indian music. The separation, clarity and detail is amazing. And it scores high on cost to value factor.

I have made a small video comparing how both sound with A/B testing and mixing songs:

Would like to know your views if you testes both Class A/B and Class D amps in your chain, would help me understanding things better too.

I am looking to sell the Crown XLS, i am using it lesser than I used to, but this is in my listening scenario. I Also have space issues.
I prefer class AB over D

Good day everyone,

i have a very old 5.1 home theater. HARMAN KARDON AVR 130 WITH INFINITY PRIMIUS HCS SPEAKERS. i am planning to sell my center,left ,right and subwoofer and keep two speakers as i am planning to use it as a stereo system. i am planning to go for fosi audio amplifier to power the speakers.

i coudnt find any reviews about fosi audio amplifier in the forum.has anyone used it and if so your suggestion will be very useful.
Good day everyone,

i have a very old 5.1 home theater. HARMAN KARDON AVR 130 WITH INFINITY PRIMIUS HCS SPEAKERS. i am planning to sell my center,left ,right and subwoofer and keep two speakers as i am planning to use it as a stereo system. i am planning to go for fosi audio amplifier to power the speakers.

i coudnt find any reviews about fosi audio amplifier in the forum.has anyone used it and if so your suggestion will be

Hi,

Does anyone have good recommendations for the Accuphase E-650 (or any of the Accuphase class A integrated amps) that they have heard personally?

From what I've read online B&W Diamonds, Wilson Audio Sabrina, Devore O, are some speakers being talked about.

Curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions. If I get an Accuphase class A I want to know what speakers I am likely looking at having to get to do them full justice.

Thanks!
Dyns

Hi Members,

Need your suggestions please on buying my first power amp!

Currently I have Marantz SR 8012, which I got from respected member @reachkalyan.kr . Its performing very well.

For future, I am planning to add power amp(not needed with this AVR for now, but just making way for pre+power combo).

Here is what I am thinking, buy Emotiva 3 channel for LCR and Marantz 7 channel for other surround/atmos duties.
I am very novice on power amp brands and how they perform, mostly I would say I know about Marantz/Emotiva/Crown etc. But not really sure how they are in term of performance.

I was talking to a friend who uses psaudio stellar s300 stereo amp in his HT and mentioned that Emotiva is a budget quality amp( I was thinking its a high end :( )
So, can you please help me in suggesting a good power amp for 3 channel and 7 channel later(is my thinking above is right that buy good 3 channel amp + medium 7 channel amp).

My budget is not for accuphase and mark levinson category, but should be ok in 1-1.5.

Please help with your suggestions.
EAM LAB

Seeking feedback from those who have either owned or have, direct experience with speakers from cadence (electrostatics, ideally arista or upwards)

What has your journey been like with respect to amplifiers...any learnings, recommendations..

Many thanks for your time.
PLINIUS

Hello there

Is any one In this group experienced Accuphase Amp
They are suppose to be the most expensive Solid state Amp. Why ? Because they employed More people ? because they have 27 dedicated engineers ? Or high quality component

it is still a family owned private company. Proprietaryship

Please share your views
Thanks

Accuphase e203 e206 e213 etc View attachment 57530
Very good drive, 100 watts will do the job of 300 watts

Hello all, I am looking for a pair of monoblocks for my newly acquired Sonus Faber Venre Signature. At least 300 watts and above. They are a 90db sensitive speakers so I am open to tube monoblock suggestions too. Any links, contacts, leads, suggestions are all welcome.
Cyrus monoblocks

Final update friends.....

Volume control IC is replaced and my Arcam is singing, singing, singing

Thanks for the guidence and support..
Who was the technician ?

Heard B&W 606 for the first time and I was floored with the dynamic range of the speaker. The speaker were fed from PM 8005.

I have made up my mind to have b&w 606 but skeptical about their performance with CA 740 a.

inputs from FM is solicited.
PRIMARE

Dear members,I would like to get your valuable opinions regarding the creek evolution 100 A amp. Any users here?
Kindly throw some light on its qualities.

Thank you
VERY good amp, had used DESTINY 6 years..

I'm looking for some good amp suggestions for my Q Acoustics 3050i

I have the Rega brio v.2 paired with topping e30 atm and I like the combination but was thinking if I can improve things by changing the amp?

Should I invest in a new DAC or change the amp? This is also something I am wondering.

The brio drives the q acoustics quite loud so power is not the issue. What I am looking here is how to improve the resol

I'm looking for some good amp suggestions for my Q Acoustics 3050i

I have the Rega brio v.2 paired with topping e30 atm and I like the combination but was thinking if I can improve things by changing the amp?

Should I invest in a new DAC or change the amp? This is also something I am wondering.

The brio drives the q acoustics quite loud so power is not the issue. What I am looking here is how to improve the resolution.
change to naim 5si , 95k

Please share your personnel review regarding Electrocompaniet 120DMB power amplifier
I had used their preamp, was very good to my ears

I’ve always been a ghost hifi vision user, skimming through posts of fellow enthusiasts and only recently actually signed up. Finally, my post follows as well. I only wished it were on a happier note however. Moderators, apologies. Posting wise, I’m a noob. Kindly move to the right thread if incorrect please.

Bought an Arcam A29 in 2016 from the UK and brought it home with me. 2018 onwards starts a faint crackle only noticed by those with keen ears. 2019 onwards, there is not a single track that doesn’t have the crackle. I tried every possible trick to figure out what was causing it from swapping the source to the cables to leads to power filters. Nothing helped. Little did I know that the amp was infamous for the same with a faulty relay and there are other international customers who have been offered buy-ins for different models.

The amp is still under warranty and though Arcam do not openly acknowledge the issue as a manufacturing defect but they know of it and are willing to ship spares. Not a big believer in repair of electronics cuz they never sound / function the same way. I’m frustrated and on the verge of sending Arcam a stinker email. Just wanted to get some help / advise / leads from the veterans here on how I can handle this? Arcam suggested that I check with the folks at decibels - Chennai (as they are the local Arcam dealers) but upon contact, they don’t sound too happy to take up repa

I’ve always been a ghost hifi vision user, skimming through posts of fellow enthusiasts and only recently actually signed up. Finally, my post follows as well. I only wished it were on a happier note however. Moderators, apologies. Posting wise, I’m a noob. Kindly move to the right thread if incorrect please.

Bought an Arcam A29 in 2016 from the UK and brought it home with me. 2018 onwards starts a faint crackle only noticed by those with keen ears. 2019 onwards, there is not a single track that doesn’t have the crackle. I tried every possible trick to figure out what was causing it from swapping the source to the cables to leads to power filters. Nothing helped. Little did I know that the amp was infamous for the same with a faulty relay and there are other international customers who have been offered buy-ins for different models.

The amp is still under warranty and though Arcam do not openly acknowledge the issue as a manufacturing defect but they know of it and are willing to ship spares. Not a big believer in repair of electronics cuz they never sound / function the same way. I’m frustrated and on the verge of sending Arcam a stinker email. Just wanted to get some help / advise / leads from the veterans here on how I can handle this? Arcam suggested that I check with the folks at decibels - Chennai (as they are the local Arcam dealers) but upon contact, they don’t sound too happy to take up repai HI end really a nightmare

The amp is still under warranty and though Arcam do not openly acknowledge the issue as a manufacturing defect but they know of it and are willing to ship spares. Not a big believer in repair of electronics cuz they never sound / function the same way. I’m frustrated and on the verge of sending Arcam a stinker email. Just wanted to get some help / advise / leads from the veterans here on how I can handle this? Arcam suggested that I check with the folks at decibels - Chennai (as they are the local Arcam dealers) but upon contact, they don’t sound too happy to take up repairs.
Using hi end in INDIA is really a nightmare, if something happened we can keep in showcase

Hello folks,
I am currently in search of a matching power amp for my totem.
While looking for options, realised the need of power requirements and speakers to amp matching (numbers - wpc, ohms) criteria.
My rainmakers are rated at 4 ohms and 86 db and the recommended power is 20-100 watts.
So here are my questions:-
A) what if I go for crown xli1500 which is rated at 450 wpc at 4 ohms, could it possibly impose any threat to my speakers? Like voice coil heating et al? I listen to moderate volume which is mostly between 9-11 o'clock position.
B) could it also happen by underpowering the speaker?
C) few articles says 2x the recommended power is good to have. Is this an ideal match? At least by the power requirement wise?

And finally, is crown xli series (class ab) any good for relatively critical listening?

Thanks in advance.
NO , more power is good for speakers to drive, your speaker will give more details

I am thinking of improving the power supply quality to my stereo system.

Wondering what my options are. Any one achieve good success with some brand they would like to recommend?

Thanks in advance.
RONTEK proudly made in india

Background: Have heard DynAudio Special 40 + Naim SuperNait 2, I really liked it.

For now I just want to upgrade my Amplifier, which will be paired with Whardefale Diamond 225, later will purchase DynAudio Speaker.

Query: Since now Naim has new models, Naim Nait XS3 and SuperNait 3, please suggest
Option 1: Naim Nait XS3 + FlatCap
Option 2: Naim SuperNait 3
Option 3: Naim Pre + Power combination in similar price point if any please suggest.
Any NAIM will do the job perfectly

Who was the technician ?
Mr. Johnny from fort kochi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really happy that you are back to no 1. I can understand the frustration when the unit goes dead. I agree with what @reubensm states that one should be ready for the sudden downpour. All the same how about the customs you had to pay. Was it 50% over the original cost?
But happy you are in joy again.

Really happy that you are back to no 1. I can understand the frustration when the unit goes dead. I agree with what @reubensm states that one should be ready for the sudden downpour. All the same how about the customs you had to pay. Was it 50% over the original cost?
But happy you are in joy again.
Yes. The customs duty and Shipping was way above my expectation.
Customs charged around 50% including shipping (it came 3750/-)Shipping was around 4k and product cost 3.6k only.

I am not considering how big the company is but humbly admitting their kindness. You are great, it doesn't matter how big they are, It is about caring for others. Some things are best left ignored!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back