WANTED: A DEAD ARCAM FMJ Series Amplifier

john mathew

Hi Friends,

Am looking for a dead arcam fmj series amplifier for spare. My fmj A32 has volume control IC issue and am not able to find a spare.

It's really sad to see my beloved amplifier dead for ever. So am trying for this chance to get it repaired.

If anybody have one kindly PM me.

Thanks,
John Mathew

Hi Friends,

Am looking for a dead arcam fmj series amplifier for spare. My fmj A32 has volume control IC issue and am not able to find a spare.

It's really sad to see my beloved amplifier dead for ever. So am trying for this chance to get it repaired.

If anybody have one kindly PM me.

Thanks,
John Mathew
Have you checked AliExpress? They should have the ic.
If that doesn’t work, check with your technician if he can short something to make it play at max volume. That way it can work as power amp and you can buy a preamplifier.

Have you checked AliExpress? They should have the ic.
If that doesn’t work, check with your technician if he can short something to make it play at max volume. That way it can work as power amp and you can buy a preamplifier.
Yes. Tried all options. But couldn't find anything.

As a last try contacted MAS (micro analogue systems) company at swis. They are the manufacturer of arcam volume control IC(MAS 9116).
Waiting for the confirmation now.

I will check with the technician as you advised. That will be the final option. I don't know technical side.

Meanwhile I just tried for the luck in our group to get a dead one.

Thanks for your kind support..

Why not study the circuit to try and bypass the volume control chip? Most volume control is implemented with passive potentiometers. Something like a genuine, 50K or 100K (exact value you'll need to determine) logarithmic Alps Blue Velvet pot should work well.

Whenever I have run into a need for replacement parts, I have always tried abroad starting with the original manufacturer. I usually write to them and if the model is out of production, they usually write back with references of their authorized service centers who could help. If the company itself is defunct, I usually search for service centers of that product who usually help. Finding parts in India is not possible unless salvaged. Its always good to use OEM spares. However hunting for spares, equipment, etc is a journey and one cannot use the 'go-to-portal-and-buy' approach.

Another good habit to develop (and I have learnt this the hard way) is not to wait for equipment to fail and then look for service centers. It is very important that one actually researches this aspect just after or even before purchasing gear. If you enjoy a piece of gear, a beak down can cause heartbreak and frustration so why take a chance. So even when your gear is running well, not a bad idea to check online for key parts that can fail, and identify sources where you can get OEM versions of them. I used this approach with my Nakamichi deck and when one morning, the drive gear collapsed, I knew exactly where to go for a OEM replacement.

After driving down hi-fi boulevard for a long long time, I have figured out that its worth spending the extra buck on OEM parts and New Old Stock equipment. For those who live abroad, there is no comparison to having one's gear serviced at a professional service center. To start with I suggest you don't loose heart, use disruptive methods for searching and be patient :)

Why not study the circuit to try and bypass the volume control chip? Most volume control is implemented with passive potentiometers. Something like a genuine, 50K or 100K (exact value you'll need to determine) logarithmic Alps Blue Velvet pot should work well.
Thanks sir. The issue is that am just a user and don't have any knowledge in electronics. And the technician itself advising either arrange the IC or buy a new amplifier.

I doesn't like to keep it dead and trying all chances to source the replacement IC.

Anyway I will ask him whether he can do as you advised.

Whenever I have run into a need for replacement parts, I have always tried abroad starting with the original manufacturer. I usually write to them and if the model is out of production, they usually write back with references of their authorized service centers who could help. If the company itself is defunct, I usually search for service centers of that product who usually help. Finding parts in India is not possible unless salvaged. Its always good to use OEM spares. However hunting for spares, equipment, etc is a journey and one cannot use the 'go-to-portal-and-buy' approach.

Another good habit to develop (and I have learnt this the hard way) is not to wait for equipment to fail and then look for service centers. It is very important that one actually researches this aspect just after or even before purchasing gear. If you enjoy a piece of gear, a beak down can cause heartbreak and frustration so why take a chance. So even when your gear is running well, not a bad idea to check online for key parts that can fail, and identify sources where you can get OEM versions of them. I used this approach with my Nakamichi deck and when one morning, the drive gear collapsed, I knew exactly where to go for a OEM replacement.

After driving down hi-fi boulevard for a long long time, I have figured out that its worth spending the extra buck on OEM parts and New Old Stock equipment. For those who live abroad, there is no comparison to having one's gear serviced at a professional service center. To start with I suggest you don't loose heart, use disruptive methods for searching and be patient :)
I agree with your points. I will try to do it now on.

Thanks sir. The issue is that am just a user and don't have any knowledge in electronics. And the technician itself advising either arrange the IC or buy a new amplifier.

I doesn't like to keep it dead and trying all chances to source the replacement IC.

Anyway I will ask him whether he can do as you advised.
I hope he is sure that it is related to IC failure. Such failures especially in volume modules are very rare.

I hope he is sure that it is related to IC failure. Such failures especially in volume modules are very rare.
Yes. He told me there's no other way. He have some contacts but not able to find a spare.
I tried sending mail to Arcam uk. But they won't provide IC and adviced me to contact Harman India.
Now the hope is with MAS chip company.

Hello John,
Have you used 'Main in' connection when the amplifier was working ? If yes did digital volume control had any effect on it ?
Reason for asking is if you had tried and it bypassed the volume control (meaning volume control had no effect) you can temporarily use main in (with external volume control)(Kindly take expert guidance while doing so)(Use cheap test speakers).
Regards

Hello John,
Have you used 'Main in' connection when the amplifier was working ? If yes did digital volume control had any effect on it ?
Reason for asking is if you had tried and it bypassed the volume control (meaning volume control had no effect) you can temporarily use main in (with external volume control)(Kindly take expert guidance while doing so)(Use cheap test speakers).
Regards
Hi Sir,
There is no "main in" connection in the amplifier. The amp can't be used as a power amplifier. It can be used as preamp.
Issue is with the preamp board IC.
As you said it's making that much volume that am fearing to connect to the speakers.

Thanks,
John

Hi Sir,
There is no "main in" connection in the amplifier. The amp can't be used as a power amplifier. It can be used as preamp.
Issue is with the preamp board IC.
As you said it's making that much volume that am fearing to connect to the speakers.

Thanks,
John
OK.
Regards.

Update Friends,

I got the particular IC from Micro Analogue Systems Finland. Today it's shipped from there.

It was a real surprise for me. That 1.8 million dollar turn over company is sending an IC to this poor man. They accepted my humble request. The responsible Arcam uk and there indian dealer Harman India was helpless.

Now waiting for the courier arrival from Earth's other end.

Thanks for support from everybody

John Mathew

Great to hear that you have been able to restore your beloved Arcam again.

Yes sir. I made it after facing a lot of troubles and tension. Costs also came above the expectation level.
But finally I won.
Perseverance & patience generally pays. Hats off to " Micro Analogue Systems" who took the trouble to listen to you & send the IC. You should bring this to the notice of Harman/Arcam that is if it matters to them.
Glad that your beloved amp is back in action.

Perseverance & patience generally pays. Hats off to " Micro Analogue Systems" who took the trouble to listen to you & send the IC. You should bring this to the notice of Harman/Arcam that is if it matters to them.
Glad that your beloved amp is back in action.
Yes. The MAS played the key role. If they would have denied my request, I can't reach anywhere.
Harman India supported on behalf of Arcam but wasn't successful. They won't do chip level service. Only the whole board can be replaced. It was not available too.
They gave me buy back option with JBL products but that wasn't my need.
Yesterday just after finishing the restore work I sent an e mail conveying my regards to whole MAS team for their kind support.

Update Friends,

I got the particular IC from Micro Analogue Systems Finland. Today it's shipped from there.

It was a real surprise for me. That 1.8 million dollar turn over company is sending an IC to this poor man. They accepted my humble request. The responsible Arcam uk and there indian dealer Harman India was helpless.

Now waiting for the courier arrival from Earth's other end.

Thanks for support from everybody

John Mathew
1.8 million dollar for a European company is very less. Which probably means they are low volume retail company and you are a good customer for them. Dont give more credit than it's due.

1.8 million dollar for a European company is very less. Which probably means they are low volume retail company and you are a good customer for them. Dont give more credit than it's due.
From their website what I understood is they are the manufacturer of some IC and electronic products.
My friend 15 crores is a huge amount of money for an average person like me. I don't know how big the company in actual.
More than that I think most of the companies will not respond to such requests. I am just a strange person from the other side of the globe and not at all their responsibility to send an IC to me.
I am not considering how big the company is but humbly admitting their kindness.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back