Watching DTS/ Dolby movies in Stereo

Silentstorm

Need help guys!
I have just bought a good stereo system for my "home office" and would like to know what is the best way to get highest quality sound from my DTS MA movies on my Stereo speakers. I used my good old VLC but i feel something is missing....so i need your help on this.
I m using Yamaha WXA 50 to power my MA Radius 90s and SVS SB1000 sub.
TIY

My guess :
- VLC is not the problem
- You need an amp which can decode a DD / DTS 5.1 signal and feed the LFEs to the sub

How are you connecting your PC to the Yamaha ?
Can you check in yoru user manual whether the Yamaha can only decode PCM stereo, or can decode a 5.1 signal

I have optical cable going from my pc to my Yamaha WXA 50, it has a sub out also which i am going to connect my sub to.
The manual says "The Yamaha Optical Digital Input Supports 2ch Pcm Audio Up To 32-bit/192khz."
But how do i output PCM to the amplifier from my pc?

I have optical cable going from my pc to my Yamaha WXA 50, it has a sub out also which i am going to connect my sub to.
The manual says "The Yamaha Optical Digital Input Supports 2ch Pcm Audio Up To 32-bit/192khz."

Check the PC soundcard settings...look for Dolby Digital 2.0 and make the changes. Everything then will flow as 2.0 to the amp where then you will get effects like how a standard TV would with L +R speakers

I am not using any soundcard, i plugged the optical cable to motherbaord only, so i could use Yamaha' internal DAC.
so again back to my question :[

Thats the problem. Your Yamaha can decode only 2 channel PCM.
Hence your PC is supplying only a 2 channel signal.

If you really want a HT type sound, you need an amp which can decode a 5.1 signal.
Then change your PC settings to output a 5.1 signal via optical.

Not sure if its really worth it.
The Yamaha is a really good stereo amp.

Last edited:
Need help guys!
I have just bought a good stereo system for my "home office" and would like to know what is the best way to get highest quality sound from my DTS MA movies on my Stereo speakers. I used my good old VLC but i feel something is missing....so i need your help on this.
TIY
Am sure there would be a lot of other workarounds for this, but from personal experience, Daum PotPlayer seems to know something that VLC doesn't when it comes to decoding audio.

Give it a shot, the interface is great, it plays almost anything.

Once you are there, play around with the Audio > Output Speakers settings and see if you get any improvement.
Best

Thanks a lot everyone, i think i understand the play now how things are working :)
Hey, chief! Glad you found a solution.
After responding to you I played around with my VLC settings (hadn't used VLC in a loooong time; as i said earlier - Potplayer) and I think I'll take back my words.
VLC does wonders that PotPlayer cannot begin to imagine! :D
1. Would you mind sharing how you fixed you issue?
2. Have you tried: VLC > Tools > Effects and Filters > Audio Filters?
Thanks and regards

Need help guys!
TIY
To solve your problem you may install "Dolby Access" and "Dts Sound Unbound" app in your PC from Windows app store. Both are paid apps. Eventually I used these both apps.

Attachments

• Dolby.jpg
    Dolby.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Dts.jpg
    Dts.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 16
Hey, chief! Glad you found a solution.
After responding to you I played around with my VLC settings (hadn't used VLC in a loooong time; as i said earlier - Potplayer) and I think I'll take back my words.
VLC does wonders that PotPlayer cannot begin to imagine! :D
1. Would you mind sharing how you fixed you issue?
2. Have you tried: VLC > Tools > Effects and Filters > Audio Filters?
Thanks and regards
Yep, and yes they do wonders :)

I am a music guy, and never cared for surrond or Dolby 5.1 until recently I got curious to try something wierd. I have a PC with 7.1 output. I have 2 amps, one currently running on the stereo setup with Subwoofer. I am using my second amp+CD player as a standalone CD player connected to Yamaha via Coaxial out. The speakers came with my 2nd amp were unused. So I have 4 speakers and one subwoofer. I purchased few cables 3.5 mm to RCA) type. I connected them like this.

Front L&R from PC to my Yamaha main amp
Rear/Surround L&R from PC to 2nd amp ( line in )
Subwoofer out - to my Sub ( played around with red and white to get the sound)
Installed the realtek audio driver and configured the speakers in the settings.
Downloaded few Dolby surrond sound test video and played it on VLC and viola ! perfect surround sound for 600Rs.
Center channel is missing as I dont have an amp to drive it. But vocals are still clear and I reduced the subwoofer volume by 4 dB

1646392253419.png

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back