WD HD TV Player DTS Decoding

rahulranjit

Hi

I have WD HD TV Player. As you know it gives only Digital Output when playing mkv files or other formats with DTS sound. Can you please tell me which systems to connect it to decode DTS? If its a HTS are all of them capable of decoding DTS sound from the Optical Input given to it ?

For example consider this product : DAV-DZ790K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India

It says DTS and Dolby in Specification List. Are they meant only for DVDs or for other signals given to it as well, like in this case - WD HD Player output ?

Any one using Sony or Philips HTS to watch mkv files with DTS 5.1 from WD TV Player, please advise.

Thanks in advance
Rahul

As long as you HTS has a Optical in you can watch DTS movies using dvd.

You will connect WD optical out to HTS Optical in, and the HTS will decode the DTS sound and play in 5.1 model

Not at all :)

But check if the HTS has an optical in. Not all HTS has optical in, some have Digital In. If it has a Digital in, then you have to buy a digital to optical converter then connect it to you hts.

If your HTS has optical in then:

WD TV optical out -> HTS Optical IN

If the HTS has digital in then (this is what I have done in my Philiups HTS as it has only Digital in):

WD TV Optical out -> Optical in of Optical/Digital convertor _> Digital Out of convertor to Digital in of HTS

You will be spending around 800 to 1500 rs to buy this convertor.

Yes. Thx. As per specification it has Digital and Optical Audio Input...I was concerned whether the DTS Stream output by the WD player will be decoded by the HTS System and sent to 5.1 Speakers.

Not at all :)

But check if the HTS has an optical in. Not all HTS has optical in, some have Digital In. If it has a Digital in, then you have to buy a digital to optical converter then connect it to you hts.

If your HTS has optical in then:

WD TV optical out -> HTS Optical IN

If the HTS has digital in then (this is what I have done in my Philiups HTS as it has only Digital in):

WD TV Optical out -> Optical in of Optical/Digital convertor _> Digital Out of convertor to Digital in of HTS

You will be spending around 800 to 1500 rs to buy this convertor.

Hi madbullram,
If i connect optical out from WDTV to DVD player(Onida which has optical in but dont no abt sound quality which i think is not up to de mark:D)and wen i play MKV files(H.264 encoded ,most prob Blueray Rips),does it decode it to 5.1 perfectly?and how is de audio quality in ur philips?

Hi madbullram,
If i connect optical out from WDTV to DVD player(Onida which has optical in but dont no abt sound quality which i think is not up to de mark:D)and wen i play MKV files(H.264 encoded ,most prob Blueray Rips),does it decode it to 5.1 perfectly?and how is de audio quality in ur philips?

Onida -Optical in??????????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Buddy IMHO it is optical out!! and Optical connector is one way i think...so tou will not get any result........I was prodcuct head for Onida DVD and In my stint I never saw any DVD with Optical "in" ( Yes we had many DVD's with optical out!)

Onida -Optical in??????????????????????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Buddy IMHO it is optical out!! and Optical connector is one way i think...so tou will not get any result........I was prodcuct head for Onida DVD and In my stint I never saw any DVD with Optical "in" ( Yes we had many DVD's with optical out!)

Hmmm let me chek de player once again and let u no. As u wer de head ,def u cant be wrong...

Hi Madbullram

Today I got some time,so went to Ezone and connected the WD TV Player to one of the Demo Products there :) I played some Sample MKV files, Audio came alright. But I felt like Audio for some DTS files stuttered. Not sure whether it was the effect :) Just to make sure,is there any known problem with the player while playing MKV Formats having DTS sound ? Have you experienced any thing this before ?

Thanks
Rahul

Last edited:
Any HTS with optical In will do fine. I use Philips 3571 with WDTV and it works like charm. Don't worry on that front.

r u planning to buy a HTS? If yes than evaluate all options, guys here r excellent when it comes to Feedback.( It might become confusing sometimes though.) Other thing, as u had mentioned a Sony model, I would say Phillips betters Sony in almost every aspects.

AS Hemant said Don't rely on knowledge/opinion of sales ppl. Knowledge might not even be there!!!;):D and opinion might be guided by Cash in ur pocket.:licklips:

Hi u wer rite.Its optical out ,not in.By de way can u share some info abt ur cisco set top box?

Got from cabelwallah. Choice of dictated by price ( Free!) with very low ( sometimes Rs 50 Pm) Rent.May not be as great as Tata Sky or others- but I do not watch TV much and wifey is pretty happy with it!

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back