WD TV vs Oppo DVDp vs Philips 4750

Hi friends..pating my back buying myself a WD Today and after reading this feels so good at the decision i made ..thx

ps:got WD from eBay India for Rs.7500 and used a Rs.1000/- discount coupon given to me as gift by Ebay on my birthday so payed Rs6500/-+100/-(Shipping charges)total+Rs.6600/- guess got a good deal sitting at home.:yahoo:
will use this mainly to see movies on my brand new optoma hd75 PJ..will post pics soon..thaks again:cool:

Hello,

Didn't quite know where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread either...so here goes..

Does the WD TV decode/passthrough DTS sound?

I have ripped (original) DVDs such as 'Behind Enenmy Lines' and 'The Bourne Supremacy' and then played them with the WD TV and Yamaha YHT-195 HTiB combo (which decodes DTS). But I ended up with 'Dolby Digital' sound only.

Also, when I encoded the ripped DVD to .mkv format using the DTS audio stream in AC3 codec, I get no sound at all!

Am I not doing something right or will WD TV not give me DTS sound?

Appreciate your help, as always

Thanks

Hello,

Didn't quite know where to post this and didn't want to start a new thread either...so here goes..

I have ripped (original) DVDs such as 'Behind Enenmy Lines' and 'The Bourne Supremacy' and then played them with the WD TV and Yamaha YHT-195 HTiB combo (which decodes DTS). But I ended up with 'Dolby Digital' sound only.

Also, when I encoded the ripped DVD to .mkv format using the DTS audio stream in AC3 codec, I get no sound at all!

Thanks

The WDTV does NOT decode DTS. In WDTV settings did you set the audio output from Stereo to Digital?
Hope you are connecting to Yamaha through optical?

Are your sure you ripped with DTS audio and not AC3?

Yes, the audio is set to digital and I am using an optical cable...

Don't know if I am doing anything wrong with the ripping.

If I have a DTS DVD, what should I do to get DTS sound via WD TV? ( Guess that's a simpler question to answer)

After going through this shoot out, here are my two cents of my experience with WDTV so far. Fist up, I use WDTV 90% of times for watching full length movies d/l from net. Most of these are 720P and a few are 1080p mkv/m2ts formats. Some have DTS track present and some have AC3 5.1 available. For movies that don't have subtitles, I d/l the .srt files and merge it with the mkv.

So far, WDTV experience has been fantastic, to say the least. PQ on Samsung 650 is mind blowing. Watching Kungfu Panda in 1080p and DTS soundtrack was something in itself. I managed to d/l the BBC Planet earth series (24GB). All episodes are 720p and watching those pristine images is like magic.

Other than movies, I have used WDTV for playing MP3 encoded at 320kbps as well watching family photos clicked with Canon EOS 1000d. Watching all these high definition images actually makes you realise what Bill Gates meant when Win 95 was launched.

Hello,

Thanks

Hello Mathur,

Which software did you use for converting DVD to mkv? Check in the software setting that "convert DTS to AC3" is not checked. WDTv does not support DTS natively, but will aloow a pass through Optical (Toslink).

Hi friends..pating my back buying myself a WD Today and after reading this feels so good at the decision i made ..thx

ps:got WD from eBay India for Rs.7500 and used a Rs.1000/- discount coupon given to me as gift by Ebay on my birthday so payed Rs6500/-+100/-(Shipping charges)total+Rs.6600/- guess got a good deal sitting at home.:yahoo:
will use this mainly to see movies on my brand new optoma hd75 PJ..will post pics soon..thaks again:cool:

Congrats noking. Welcome to the club

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back