WDTV + DAC vs Dedicated CDP

madbullram

This weekend is the time for this long pending question I have. How well does the WD TV compare to a dedicated CDP.

So the plan is to play few collection of songs on the CDP and do the same in WD TV (off-course loseless) and see what would be the rating. This will happen either this Friday or Saturday.

Here is the update:

Review posted at:
http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/6555-music-player-wd-tv-vs-wd-tv-dac-vs-cdp.html

Last edited:
Re: WDTV vs Dedicated CDP

Hi madbullram,

I tried this comparison between WD TV HD + the DAC in Denon AVR 2809, and dedicated CD player NAD C542. The power-amp, in both the cases, was NAD C372.

The WD setup lost without putting up much competition. I think if I had a CA DACMagic it would have competed well. Putting the AVR in the chain was probably not a good idea, even though it has the DAC and AL24 processing found in high-end Denon CD players.

I am looking forward to your findings.

Thanks,
Sharad

Dedicated CDp will alway win unless WD+DAC+cables are perfect match.
Reducing digital path will sound better in most of setups.

AFAIK the digital output on the WDTV is not bit perfect. That pretty much compromises the system as a digital source, irrespective of how good the DAC is.

AFAIK the digital output on the WDTV is not bit perfect. That pretty much compromises the system as a digital source, irrespective of how good the DAC is.

^ hmm.someone who knows his stuff
the WDTV inbuilt DAC technically should be bettered by even a 1909 denon AVR
A standlaone CDP would definetly be better

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back