Welcome to India, Amazon!! www.amazon.in

Up 3D is not worth ordering in India from anywhere. The Indian version is a single disc. Now there is no mention whether the single disc contains 3D+2D or just 3D.

Made the first order of books for my daughter. Lets see how it turns out to be.

Thanks

Ok got the delivery today from the ATS (Amazon Transport Service) it seems managed directly by amazon itself. Very good service nobody was there in the home while the delivery guy came in the morning. They left a note and I had a chat with amazon CC and it was promptly delivered in the evening itself. So flat 2 days the order has been delivered. Superb tracking system instant update in the site with the smart phone capability with the delivery guy. Hope the service continuous the same way :clapping:

thanks

^ how's quality of audio video of this indian release !
I have not tested the release on my projector/HT setup; so can't comment on audio quality. But the track is 5.1 DTS-HD-MA. On the ST50 the picture quality is excellent. I do not think the PQ is in any way inferior. The set contains 4 BDs - two BDs for 3D release, one BD of 2D version and last BD with special features.

I have not tested the release on my projector/HT setup; so can't comment on audio quality. But the track is 5.1 DTS-HD-MA. On the ST50 the picture quality is excellent. I do not think the PQ is in any way inferior. The set contains 4 BDs - two BDs for 3D release, one BD of 2D version and last BD with special features.

Does it have Indian language subtitles?

I ordered The Hobbit - 3D today. Price Rs. 1274. Package contains 4 discs - 2 BDs contain the 3D movie, the 3rd BD contains the 2D version, the 4th disc (BD or DVD unknown) contains special features.

I felt that the pricing is extremely attractive because:
  • US version (5 discs) is $27.99 + shipping + import duty. The 5th disc is a DVD version of the movie. US Version contains UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
  • UK version (4 discs) is 18.17 - less VAT + shipping + duty. There is no DVD but does contain the UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
So, overall, it is a saving of over Rs. 1000 over both versions (as per my calculations). For instance, the Amazon India price would have to be Rs. 2,543.69 to match the US price of $27.99 or Rs. 2,313.63 to match the UK price of 18.17 (base cost + shipping + customs).

However, all movies may not work out just as cheap. It needs a careful cost comparison as well as the feature and contents of the package.

I find your pricing not right. Shipped price from amazon.co.uk is almost equal to the displayed price because the ex-vat price nullifies shipping charges in which case it comes to 1600 + customs. Though even in that case amazon.in price is cheaper but this post is just so people do not make a mistake in price.

Just ordered Avatar 3D from amazon.in. I had it on pricewatch at 12 for a longtime, finally getting it close to the price I wanted, :D

Last edited:
My order was served by a third party vendor out of Bangalore. Sent the shipment via Professional Courier...I received it on Friday...

I find your pricing not right. Shipped price from amazon.co.uk is almost equal to the displayed price because the ex-vat price nullifies shipping charges in which case it comes to 1600 + customs. Though even in that case amazon.in price is cheaper but this post is just so people do not make a mistake in price.

Just ordered Avatar 3D from amazon.in. I had it on pricewatch at 12 for a longtime, finally getting it close to the price I wanted, :D
Yes. There is a slight error. Thank you for correcting. But not that great. You are forgetting customs which is regularly charged by GPO, Mumbai. This is nearly 44%. Some people escape the duty but people in MH, GJ and MP may not. I have been paying customs duty on almost all orders from Amazon, UK for the last six months (plus delivery is often late). I have stopped ordering from them.

The costing works out as under:

Amazon.co.uk
Base price: 18.17
Less VAT (20%): -3.63
Shipping Cost (apportioned for an order of 6 BDs ordered together): 1.84
----------------------
Total Price: 16.38
Exchange Rate (with bank surcharge) 1 = INR90
INR Price: INR 1474.20
44% Customs: INR 648.65
----------------------
Total landed cost: INR 2122.85

Amazon.com
Base price: $23.97
Shipping Cost (apportioned for an order of 6 BDs ordered together): $4.82
----------------------
Total Base Price: $28.79
26.5% Customs: $7.64
----------------------
Total Price: $36.43
Exchange Rate (with bank surcharge) $1 = INR 59.20
Total landed cost: INR 2156.66

Don't know why but even flipkart's prices are way higher than in the local market:indifferent14:

Don't know why but even flipkart's prices are way higher than in the local market:indifferent14:

While trying to compare prices of DVD/ BD's available on online sites like amazon, flipkar or snapdeal with the prices of the same items in local shops in Calcutta, I found that you have to extremely careful while choosing the source(s) from which one buys.

Some DVD/ BDs are cheaper than the local shops especially when there is huge discount say more than 30-40%. But not all DVDs/BDs available online are being sold for that amount of discount.

On the other hand, the local shops generally for a stable discount of 10-20% on all items.

So what I do is, first I create a list of movies I want to buy, then make a column wise comparison of prices of online sites, and then take that list to the shop, compare the price there and then depending on the lowest price I decide from where to buy. :yahoo:

Sometime the price difference is huge say I am getting a BD from amazon for Rs.599 (MRP1299) but in local shops the lowest price I am getting it for Rs.1100. The difference is huge. Again some new BDs which are available at amazon without discount are available for at least 10-15% discount at the local shop.

i am just hoping that they launch something like amazon prime here. frankly, dvds and blu rays may be great and browsing through a whole collection can be fun but those can get plain frustrating very soon once the collection becomes large (inserting a dvd/blu ray disc to watch a movie is plain tedious in 2013, reason why i've stopped buying ps3 discs and went for a ps plus subscription) and frankly, streaming/digital content is the future. no risk of discs getting scratches and becoming unplayable, no risks of maintenance and of course, no need to own any device with a drive.

iTunes India is doing the right thing here by offering movies at good prices. they're expensive, yes, but they're way cheaper than their blu ray counterparts. also, compatibility with apple tv makes them an enviable offering. i'm sure the catalogue will improve in the months and years ahead but then, buying movies in the long run will eventually end up being just incredibly expensive. and space consuming of course. the US has moved away from iTunes movies to netflix and so will we, once we have a service like that. also, no tv shows on iTunes.

something like netflix is what we need. tailor made for india. no stupid vpn and changing ip address business to access content. broadband is a worry, yes, but you know with a 512kbps unlimited connection one can definitely watch movies at 360p. youtube has shown us that.

and thats why i sincerely hope Amazon brings something like Amazon prime to India. Frankly, no company in India currently in the streaming business understands its users. iStream has shut down, Box.TV is a joke, YouTube movies' catalogue is nothing but laughable. And none of them have any idea of the kind of TV shows one might want to watch.

anyway, unless amazon brings its whole repertoire of products to the country, i hardly can call this venture "the arrival of amazon in India".

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back