Welcome Yamaha 473, Bye Bye Denon1612

There is no such thing called HDMI cable v1. 4. Both equipments should be compliant with 1.4 for ARC or 3D to work. A 'High speed' hdmi cable is all that is needed. Other versions of cable are Standard Speed HDMI and High speed HDMI with ethernet.

Please Google adequately before you pick up that stone in your hand.! :D

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

one more thing as far as i know, realtek based media player can not send AAC 5.1 over spdif where as if you connect media player and avr with hdmi there will be no downmix.Limitation of realtek chipset base media players.

I am using Popbox V8 which is sigma chipset base media player. I have connected it to my AVR with hdmi cable which came along as a package with media player.

Although 5.1 AAC is decoded as PCM by my AVR but the problem is after showing PCM for few seconds it shows Dolby prologic. I have converted the rips to 5.1 AC3 but I still feel that I am not getting the discrete 5.1 channel surround sound like those which you get from originally downloaded AC3 rips.

AAC should be decoded by the player itself and send as PCM to get 5.1. Otherwise AVR will use virtual surround. Which software you used to convert aac to ac3?

AAC should be decoded by the player itself and send as PCM to get 5.1. Otherwise AVR will use virtual surround. Which software you used to convert aac to ac3?

I am using Pav tube Blu ray video converter, coverting the mp4 5.1 AAC to mkv 5.1 AC3. If you have any suggestion then do let me know on conversion.

Whenever I press info button on my player it shows sound info as AAC, anyways I shall do some trial and error and see if I can have PCM 5.1 the way you are explaining.

I used Popcorn Audio Convertor Tools to convert aac movies to ac3. The conversion is fast approximately 10 minutes for a 1.5 hr movie., because only the audio is converted. This tool depends on other tools which it will download automatically. If you have mp4 files then first convert them to mkv using mkvtoolnix which will take only 1-2 minutes depending on file size.

I used Popcorn Audio Convertor Tools to convert aac movies to ac3. The conversion is fast approximately 10 minutes for a 1.5 hr movie., because only the audio is converted. This tool depends on other tools which it will download automatically. If you have mp4 files then first convert them to mkv using mkvtoolnix which will take only 1-2 minutes depending on file size.

I have downloaded the Popcorn MKV Audio Converter but could not figure out how to use it. Can you please guide me?

I used this software back in 2011 when I had Himedia player.

For this software to work correctly, you should enable the option to display the file extension in Windows from folder options>view > unselect 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Now in the 'MKV tools' tab of the software, ensure that the paths to MKV Info, MKV EXtract, MKV Merge, Media Info are correctly specified. If a path is incorrect, it will be highlighted in red. In 'Audio Tools1' tab check the loation of eac3to and in audio tools2, FAAD and Aften. On the right hand side select AC3 for convert AAC/SBR track under the AAC tab. Also tick 'Convert AAC 5.1 tracks'.

IIRC, if the movie file has multiple audio tracks, the conversion will fail. So using mkvtoolnix remove all unnecessary channels keeping the AAC 5.1 track only. Also MP4 movies should be converted to MKV for Audio Converter Tool to work. Use mkvtoolnix to convert mp4 to mkv which will take one minute or so only.

33nl2ky.png

Last edited:
Also, there is a single tool called 'Mp42Mkvac3' that can convert MP4AAC to MKVAC3. But the problem is that it will sometimes delete the source file so always backup the movie before conversion.

Back