Wemax One Laser Projector - my journey of discovery

argho

Hi All.

A short note about buying a projector for the first time.

Till now, I have been a fan of big screen TVs (on my 2nd 65 incher right now). However, got intrigued on a different forum about a laser projector launched by Xiaomi. Am a fan of Xiaomi products - their hardware and finish is usually excellent. And the feedback on that forum was excellent.

So started considering.
Here is the original product : Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short throw 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector
https://www.gearbest.com/projector-accessories/pp_660919.html?wid=1349303

Soon realised that a new version with improved specs has been launched, but not using the Xiaomi brand name - WEMAX ONE PRO FMWS01C ANSI Lumens Laser Projector .
https://www.gearbest.com/projectors/pp_009263714845.html?wid=1433363

The reviews were even better, so finally decided to pull the trigger, based on reviews.

I have bought quite often from Aliexpress and Gearbest, and have always had a good experience. However, till now it was mostly low value items. Was a bit worried about buying something which is almost USD 2000 from a chinese website, but went ahead anyway.

Am used to stuff from China taking weeks to reach. But this was different. They shipped via DHL. Reached in 3 days flat.
I got an email form DHL with a link to pay the customs duty. Duty was only Rs 2000 (what a relief !).
I paid immediately, and the projector was delivered next day.

I have a family room with a home theater setup (Denon AVR, Polk speakers) and a 65 inch TV. My plan was to wall mount the TV, and have a pull down screen in front, to be pulled down whenever I wanted to use the projector.

Started reading about screens. Now realised I should have done some more research in advance. Am a complete newbie when it comes to PJs.
Net net - realised as follows :
- This is an Ultra short throw projector
- Ultra short throw projectors need a perfectly flat screen. Any crease or ripple in the screen gets magnified.
- Hence, only fixed screens are reccomended.

So change of plans.

Bought a fixed screen. Elite screens seemed decent and reliable.
Ordered the cheapest - 100 inch 16:9. Still cost 18K.
http://www.eliteadvaning.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=72_94_123&product_id=103

When it came, assembled it along with my daughter.
Mounted it on the wall myself.

The projector is great - sharp and bright.
Since its ultra short throw, no need for wall mount etc. It just sits on the TV console, 12 inches from the wall, and projects a 100 inch image.

Have been enjoying movies and sports since.

Only annoyance - PJs not so great for everyday / daytime viewing.
So on monday mornings, I put the TB back where it belongs. On friday evenings, I move the TV to the guest room and setup the projector.
Bit of a pain.

Am considering solutions - eg mount the TV on a stand which can lowered / raised
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B011IZ3L2Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So learnings from this journey :
- should have researched PJs more extensively before buying
- for TV + PJ setup, with a pull down screen, UST projector is not the right choice. Should have bought a normal short throw PJ and ceiling mounted it

But overall very happy with the purchase.

The fact that its laser means :
- No bulb to replace. Will last a lifetime (this is a big recurring cost for normal PJs)
- The image is really bright and sharp

The advantages of UST :
- no need for mounting the PJ. Just put it on the floor or on a stand in front of the wall / screen
- can be easily moved
- no shadows from people walking around the room (happens if you are projecting from the back of the room)

Any questions - do let me now.
Will post some pics later.

ALR screens are extremely expensive. Did not want to spend so much.

The pic above is during daytime.

At night it looks great. Thinking of getting some blinds for the room.

ALR screens are extremely expensive. Did not want to spend so much.

The pic above is during daytime.

At night it looks great. Thinking of getting some blinds for the room.
100 inch alr would have come for 45k
One would get all time viewing

Please ping Elangos or Balagopal for the screen they have done, just an DIY grey screen costed them few thousands..I have seen the Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short throw PJ at Balagopal house and the screen what he is using is perfectly good. No need of spending 5 figures. I have seen the performance in full day light and found no issues.

Please ping Elangos or Balagopal for the screen they have done, just an DIY grey screen costed them few thousands..I have seen the Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short throw PJ at Balagopal house and the screen what he is using is perfectly good. No need of spending 5 figures. I have seen the performance in full day light and found no issues.
Have you compared ?

Not seen Elangos / But seen Balagopal and of-course it is sound transparent screen too and have convenience of keeping the speaker in wall.

There are motorized/pull down projector screens with tab-tension feature, which usually keeps the screen in place using tension. Do some research and see whether it will help in your case

Was a bit worried about buying something which is almost USD 2000 from a chinese website, but went ahead anyway.

Duty was only Rs 2000 (what a relief !).

VoW.. Rs 2,000 as duty for a product worth US $ 2,000?.. Guess, you should be the most luckiest ;)..

Only annoyance - PJs not so great for everyday / daytime viewing.

Try to minimise the direct light hitting the screen.. This should make it better.. Use cardboard boxes (amazon, flipkart) near the light source to block the light hitting the screen.. If it is windows, use dark curtains..

As @srinisundar mentioned, and use fabric based double layer Acoustically transparent screen (Matte white stretched on matte black)..

You may check this thread for any inputs that might help you - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/diy-acoustic-transparent-screen.67092/

An other members had used ALR screen and it work.. You may check his thread for more inputs- https://www.hifivision.com/threads/generic-retro-reflective-alr-screen.71309/

Alternatively, since it is a regular wall, you can think of DIY grey paint, which will help for daytime viewing..

100 inch alr would have come for 45k
One would get all time viewing
There are no alr screens for ultra short throw projectors. There are only clr screens (cieling light rejecting). So if the light source is from the side it won't do squat. And the last I checked elite screens clr was about 2 lacs in India and the dnp supernova was 3 lacs for 120 inches

There are no alr screens for ultra short throw projectors. There are only clr screens (cieling light rejecting). So if the light source is from the side it won't do squat. And the last I checked elite screens clr was about 2 lacs in India and the dnp supernova was 3 lacs for 120 inches
CLR screen is for around 50k.
Check elite clr screen video on YouTube.
Projector used is ultra short throw

CLR screen is for around 50k.
Check elite clr screen video on YouTube.
Projector used is ultra short throw

Where did you get the quote from? Even Chinese CLRs cost over 60k. So it would be a very competitive quote indeed, if true makes sense for those who just have cieling light to combat with. Only retro reflective screens are truly "ALR". All other techs due to the inherent limitations in the way light is angled can only reject light from certain angles. And if the UST screen was ALR then it would be called "ALR" there is a reason its called "CLR" (unless they want to be sued). They are great for board rooms and class rooms. Now if you have a huge window on the side it cant do much, however the image reflected will still have a higher gain an white screen and the dark grey colour will help "perceived contrast" but not in a way that is significant enough to justify the massive cost.

Where did you get the quote from? Even Chinese CLRs cost over 60k. So it would be a very competitive quote indeed, if true makes sense for those who just have cieling light to combat with. Only retro reflective screens are truly "ALR". All other techs due to the inherent limitations in the way light is angled can only reject light from certain angles. And if the UST screen was ALR then it would be called "ALR" there is a reason its called "CLR" (unless they want to be sued). They are great for board rooms and class rooms. Now if you have a huge window on the side it cant do much, however the image reflected will still have a higher gain an white screen and the dark grey colour will help "perceived contrast" but not in a way that is significant enough to justify the massive cost.

Agree completely. CLR screens are very expensive, and would nott help,, as the light in the room comes from windows, not from above. And I am yet to see an ALR screen meant for an UST projector

Back