Western Classical Music

Very few posts on vocalalists and operas…..thought of sharing this one, id this doesnt spark a discussion or solicit a response then nothing will. 😇

Two legends….
Two beautiful legends singing Vocalise…what’s not to love. Kiri had a great international fan following that Moffo did not although she was especially famous in the US…I think they have made some special recital albums…both were superb Mozart interpreters …I do not remember hearing a lot of Bel Canto repertoire from either but that is a definite trigger to go listen to more stuff…thanks for sharing

Two beautiful legends singing Vocalise…what’s not to love. Kiri had a great international fan following that Moffo did not although she was especially famous in the US…I think they have made some special recital albums…both were superb Mozart interpreters …I do not remember hearing a lot of Bel Canto repertoire from either but that is a definite trigger to go listen to more stuff…thanks for sharing

Anna Moffo and Stokowski have a very nice album.

I first heard Kiri and Jose late 80’s when I picked up a record from the British Council library of West Side Story. Kiri, Jose Carreras, and Marilyn Horne.

And introduction to Moffo was around the same time with the Rachmaninov vocalise on a home recorded cassette. I confess, hearing her for the first time was a tearful moment. She made one of the most beautiful melodies ever written even more beautiful. You can hear it in her recording.

Kiri though categorised as soprano had her singing voice sitting a bit lower and she would straddle the soprano and the mezzo ranges so well.

Last edited:
Anna Moffo and Stokowski have a very nice album.

I first heard Kiri and Jose late 80’s when I picked up a record from the British Council library of West Side Story. Kiri, Jose Carreras, and Marilyn Horne.

And introduction to Moffo was around the same time with the Rachmaninov vocalise on a home recorded cassette. I confess, hearing her for the first time was a tearful moment. She made one of the most beautiful melodies ever written even more beautiful. You can hear it in her recording.

Kiri though categorised as soprano had her singing voice sitting a bit lower and she would straddle the soprano and the mezzo ranges so well.
Hi you must see the rehearsal sequence below…

I have found a small treasure of Exton/octavia records issues on apple music. Music mostly conducted by Ken Kobayashi and with good Japanese orchestras. A couple of albums with london philharmonic and czech philharmonic. Tchaikovsky symphonic music mostly. A little bit of Mussorgsky, Berlioz and Brahms.

This recording label can teach a few things to the big boys. Here is a nice example…..

Last edited:
Alan Gilbert has some good recordings of Mahler with NY philharmonic. Give them a listen if you can.

I have found a small treasure of Exton/octavia records issues on apple music. Music mostly conducted by Ken Kobayashi and with good Japanese orchestras. A couple of albums with london philharmonic and czech philharmonic. Tchaikovsky symphonic music mostly. A little bit of Mussorgsky, Berlioz and Brahms.

This recording label can teach a few things to the big boys. Here is a nice example…..

Thank you will listen for sure…there are a bunch of Kobayashi recordings on HMV Japan and Yahoo Japan Auctions…I was wondering about them. This is a post useful and timely post. Thank you sir…

Alan Gilbert has some good recordings of Mahler with NY philharmonic. Give them a listen if you can.
Indeed…just bought his Mahler 9 which is super. Also bought his Nielsen cycle and his Bruckner 7 albeit with European orchestras…

Indeed…just bought his Mahler 9 which is super. Also bought his Nielsen cycle and his Bruckner 7 albeit with European orchestras…
The mahler 9th with Stockholm philharmonic I assume ???? Thats quite a recording.

Listening to Gunter Wands Beethoven symphony cycle with ndr symphony orchestra. I really like what I am hearing. ☺️

How do you guys enjoy Mahler when the sound goes super low. I find it frustrating that I hear fan sound more than music even after turning up the volume to the level that I would never imagine for rock music. That distracts me from music. On loud sessions, I enjoy the music though. Something is wrong with me? My room is acoustically treated by DIY setups.

How do you guys enjoy Mahler when the sound goes super low. I find it frustrating that I hear fan sound more than music even after turning up the volume to the level that I would never imagine for rock music. That distracts me from music. On loud sessions, I enjoy the music though. Something is wrong with me? My room is acoustically treated by DIY setups.
Dynamic range is a challenge for most set ups in Mahler…the creative approach of the composer also challenges engineers and the conductor in balancing the orchestra…some scores like the Resurrection symphony require passages played by a secondary ensemble off stage - most new recordings do not observe this due to soft pianissimi being almost too low to be heard properly…but yeah a challenge …

Dynamic range is a challenge for most set ups in Mahler…the creative approach of the composer also challenges engineers and the conductor in balancing the orchestra…some scores like the Resurrection symphony require passages played by a secondary ensemble off stage - most new recordings do not observe this due to soft pianissimi being almost too low to be heard properly…but yeah a challenge …
Very Interesting. Yes, Dynamic range and adjusting to that is a challenge. Sound engineers have to record a healthy signal and anything too low and too high has to be contained in the available dynamic range of the recording rig. Why there is a secondary ensemble, and they won't be in front of Mics?

Listening on Sonos in Dolby Atmos and the mix sounds very good.Can hear the highs and lows without straining . I find classical in Atmos very listenable.

Switch the fan off 😂. Get a remote for it too 😂. Or a very quiet AC.

On a serious note, there are a lot of music that is stretched in its dynamic range and you just have to make your environment conducive to enjoying it.

Very Interesting. Yes, Dynamic range and adjusting to that is a challenge. Sound engineers have to record a healthy signal and anything too low and too high has to be contained in the available dynamic range of the recording rig. Why there is a secondary ensemble, and they won't be in front of Mics?

The composers wrote down parts for a secondary ensemble “off stage” for concert hall setting. Off stage could be from the balconies, side aisles, the back row, whatever else the concert hall facilitates. So surround sound is not the invention of the 80’s or 90’s 😉.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back