Western Classical Music

Here's the greatest 50 classical recordings as per BBC Classical Music magazine: The 50 greatest recordings of all time | Classical-Music.com

I must confess to owning only Martha Argerich's Chopin - The Legendary 1965 Recordings and Pablo Casals' Bach Cello Suites. So much to listen, but right now I am discovering Chopin, especially the Preludes and Nocturnes.

Here's the greatest 50 classical recordings as per BBC Classical Music magazine: The 50 greatest recordings of all time | Classical-Music.com

I must confess to owning only Martha Argerich's Chopin - The Legendary 1965 Recordings and Pablo Casals' Bach Cello Suites. So much to listen, but right now I am discovering Chopin, especially the Preludes and Nocturnes.

What a great website this is indeed. I'm hooked since I first visited. They have plenty of info on classical music and they give a weekly free download too.

Guy, like me who is beginning a journey into classical music, this site is just what I wanted. That 50 greatest recordings surely looks like must haves...

Thanks again for the recommendation.

What a great website this is indeed...

Once upon a time, real audiophiles used to scorn those round black things, preferring to listen to The Third Program (latter BBC Radio 3) and record the music on their Real[-to-reel ;) ] tape recorders.

I haven't even thought of listening to BBC Radio in quite a while, and not for ages, to BBC Radio 3. I wonder what the internet-radio quality is? Probably not worth buying a reel-to-reel tape machine for, but probably still worth a listen.

Thanks for the pointer to the magazine and a reminder of the station :)

I have met Martha Argerich personally and can tell you even at 70 she is quite a woman!! In her house in Brussels she used to host (they lived there) several up and coming pianists and many have now gone on to make successful independent careers.
I can discuss various recordings with regards to both Martha and Chopin if you PM me. I do believe I must have over 35 recordings of the nocturnes (complete and otherwise) and a lot of other Chopin, who is one of my favorite composers. Although his output overall was sadly quite small....almost everything is wonderful. I do also have all the specific "Greatest" recordings mentioned in the above posts if anyone is interested in a particular piece (only for educational purposes).
Please do listen to his four Ballades. They are astonishingly beautiful! ......and then in way of progression then listen to Schumann's Fantasie in C, op. 17, particularly the ecstatic love poem of the first movement.

Last edited:
Not certain how, but some link took me there a few days ago. (Actually... Stereophile? Maybe!). EDIT: Yes! Link added.

From what I remember of the write up, it is a great collection, and amazing value for money at a cost of $2.something per disc. The only caution is that this is not an Everybody's-favourite-classics collection.

No, I didn't buy. Been doing a bit too much shopping recently, and other commitments coming up --- but I'd say, take a look at the contents, and if even only some appeals, then it should be very safe to buy.

This seems to be another similarly tempting set. Any opinions?
Amazon.com: Living Stereo Collection 1: Music

In fact now there are two set of volumes ...each 60 CDs. There are several wonderful recordings on these sets. Each label had exclusive contracts with their artists and RCA (Living Stereo) had a wonderful stable with the likes of Heifitz, Cliburn, Rubenstein, Munch, Fielder etc. all among the great performers of the time.
Initially, RCA used RT-21 quarter-inch tape recorders and then they switched to an Ampex 300-3 one-half inch machine. These recordings were initially issued in 1955 on special stereophonic reel-to-reel tapes and then, beginning in 1958, on vinyl LPs with the logo Living Stereo. The quality of the recordings are quite wonderful, even for their age ...as are the interpretations.
PM me if you would like to arrange to listen to any of the discs. Regards.

And this
Amazon.com: Archiv Produktion 1947-2013 - A Celebration Of Artistic Excellence From The Home Of Early Music (Ltd. Ed.): Music

If one, especially one who is uninitiated in the genre, were to buy only one box set, which would be the best?
Decca, RCA, Arkiv?

Hi Naturelover. In the last three or four years there has been a spate of big comprehensive box sets re-issuing recordings at very attractive prices. A lot of which box set you choose may depend on what you have already....and what genre of music you like. Archiv is a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon (DG) focusing on early music label and mostly on authentic instruments. The recordings are superb but of course of a much later vintage than the RCA Living Stereo ones or indeed the Mercury Living Presence sets too. I don't think they overlap very much in terms of repertoire, but I will have to pull out the boxes and double check.

I like the Decca sets in general as they have always had very good artists in their stable and also made very good recordings. The Analogue box though is particular (it reproduces early Decca recordings and even the choice of music is not all mainstream to avoid duplication for collectors). The analogue Collection is music almost entirely from the 19th and 20th centuries. There's no Bach, only one Beethoven and Brahms, but a lot of Dvork, Kodaly, Mendelssohn, Prokofiev, Saint-Sans, and Sibelius, with smatterings of Bloch, Borodin, Britten, Enescu, Faur, Franck, Glazunov, and Hindemith, to name a few.

Perhaps a better set (if you are just commencing collecting Western Classical music) is a set called The Decca sound. It has complete works of all types of repertoire (including a little opera)... wonderful music, wonderful recordings by wonderful artists.

However, with all these box sets you need to check how much duplication you will have.

If you visit Bangalore ...drop by and we can make some detailed comparisons.

Perhaps a better set (if you are just commencing collecting Western Classical music) is a set called The Decca sound. It has complete works of all types of repertoire (including a little opera)... wonderful music, wonderful recordings by wonderful artists.

That's good to know! I saw that set yesterday, and ordered it.

I'm mostly a newbie to Western Classical. A friend had been feeding me enough of it over the last 2 years at her place to get me really interested. Decca CDs have always had better than usual recording, which is somewhat important to me.

I'm looking forward to listening to this box set!

You seem to have them all! :clapping:

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.
I would love to drop by when in Bangalore. Planning a short visit in Aug.

Hi Naturelover. In the last three or four years there has been a spate of big comprehensive box sets re-issuing recordings at very attractive prices. A lot of which box set you choose may depend on what you have already....and what genre of music you like. Archiv is a subsidiary of Deutsche Grammophon (DG) focusing on early music label and mostly on authentic instruments. The recordings are superb but of course of a much later vintage than the RCA Living Stereo ones or indeed the Mercury Living Presence sets too. I don't think they overlap very much in terms of repertoire, but I will have to pull out the boxes and double check.

I like the Decca sets in general as they have always had very good artists in their stable and also made very good recordings. The Analogue box though is particular (it reproduces early Decca recordings and even the choice of music is not all mainstream to avoid duplication for collectors). The analogue Collection is music almost entirely from the 19th and 20th centuries. There's no Bach, only one Beethoven and Brahms, but a lot of Dvork, Kodaly, Mendelssohn, Prokofiev, Saint-Sans, and Sibelius, with smatterings of Bloch, Borodin, Britten, Enescu, Faur, Franck, Glazunov, and Hindemith, to name a few.

However, with all these box sets you need to check how much duplication you will have.

If you visit Bangalore ...drop by and we can make some detailed comparisons.

I think I must do some investing!

Even though I grew up with classical music, I more-or-less forgot it for decades. I met a friend of Capt Rajesh's recently, whose knowledge and enthusiasm extended to performance of the same pieces played by different conductors and orchestras, whereas I could, now, barely name the composers. Interesting to note that his enthusiasm for western music was sparked by Ilaiyaraaja.

Have seen that the Decca box sets are available on iTunes.
The Decca Sound Rs 1400
Decca Sound: The Analogue Years 1954-1968 Rs 550
Decca Sound: The Analogue Years 1969-1980 Only partial set available. Per CD varying Rs 60 to 180.
Each of the Analogue Years set is $59.99 on the US iTunes!

Worth downloading?

Have seen that the Decca box sets are available on iTunes.
The Decca Sound Rs 1400
Decca Sound: The Analogue Years 1954-1968 Rs 550
Decca Sound: The Analogue Years 1969-1980 Only partial set available. Per CD varying Rs 60 to 180.
Each of the Analogue Years set is $59.99 on the US iTunes!

Worth downloading?

I would start with the first 50-cd The Decca Sound CD set. Make sure it's the full set and not just some highlights. Before I would suggest buying the analogue sets, I would look for the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo box sets...although there are so so many other comprehensive box sets that have been issued in the last few years.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back