Western Classical Music

I have to thank FM Essarr's fantastic bucket list and his subsequent comments on the Haydn Paris Symphonies (Harnoncourt).
This really is a beautiful piece of work.

61TDAL3FuUL.jpg

From whatever research I have done that list from FM Essarr is an absolute treasure.
Most online resources complement the recommendations on that list.

I've been tripping on this double disc of Israela Margalit performing well-known piano concertos:

https://www.chandos.net/Details06.asp?CNumber=CHAN 6621

I especially like her rendition of Mendelssohn's Capriccco brillant and Brahms Piano Concerto No 1, but not so much her interpretation of the Schumann Piano Concerto (I like the John Ogdon much more).

PS: I recently got tons of Neeme Jarvi CDs (mostly with Chicago Symphony Orchestra on Chandos label), and the Complete Mahler Symphonies by Sir Georg Solti (again with the Chicago SO, on London label).

Last edited:
The pain and joy about Western Classical is that you just can't say Beethoven's 9th is great starter, but have to say Beethoven's 9th by Karajan recorded in 1963 (or the Kubelik version, say)! The wrong version, which again is a personal choice, can leave you cold.

However, still the nice aspect about Western Classical is that there are so many places on the web that can give pointers. You want to know what the good recordings of Sibelius' Finlandia is? From critical reviews to Amazonians, all with a click! A lovely culture of criticism where nothing is holy, making it relatively easy to build a core library.

Try google for Indian classical, and critiqued albums - that's where I would need most help. Even tougher to find albums.

For me the greatest Finlandia performance has to be Karajan with the Berlin Phil:) I also have one by an obscure East German philharmonic. Not bad, but not great either.

Vivek, why don't you start listing down some of your western classical favourite performances, please. Feel free and don't be shy;)

Thanks JLS! That would be a daunting thought indeed!

However, for people starting out, especially with rock and jazz backgrounds, like the original poster asked, which also mirrors journey into classical, here's what I would recommend - start listening in reverse chronological order.

Therefore, start with the modern/romantic era which may better appeal to your ears/sensibilities than the earlier classical/baroque era and work yourself backwards. Generally, ballet music is great fun to listen to as it has a storyline to capture your imagination too.

For example, here is a start (for a late night, can't sleep post)

Stravinsky's ballets (Gergiev's Rite of Spring, Chailly's Firebird),

Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra/music for strings, percussion (Reiner),

Mussorgsky's Picture's at an Exhibition (Reiner),

Ravel and Debussy Collections (Dutoit or Haitink), Also Daphnis and Chloe ballet music.

Dvorak's later symphonies (7, 8 and 9 - Kubelik, Kertesz, Szell Versions),

Mahler (my favourite is Haitink on Philips playing the 4th), and then work yourself into other symphonies/lieder.

Janacek String Quartets,

Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (many competing versions, great with kids),

Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez (Pepe Romero or Julian Bream - jazz lovers will recognise Sketches of Spain or Jim Hall's Concierto).

Shostakovich symphonies/string quartets (especially symphonies 5 and 10 - massive historical significance rising against Stalin era),

Schumann's Kinderszenen (and you will know the origin of the Raymond's Complete man music - love the Moravec and Pires versions) as well as lots of piano music

Chopin - especially ballades (Persia) and nocturnes (Pires), but played by Rubinstein as well

Strauss - Zarathustra (well recognised dramatic beginning - Karajan)

Bizet - Carmen (de Los Angeles or Callas)

Liszt - Hugarian Rhapsodies (you may recognise from a Tom and Jerry cartoon - Cat Concerto)

Rachamninoff Piano Concerto 2 (to recommend a version is to start a debate - Ashkenazy perhaps).

Schubert - String Quartets (12, 13, 14 - I like the Belcea quartet a lot)

Tchaikovsky's Ballet Music.

Finally, a peep into the classical era - Beethoven's magnificent late piano sonatas (like my Solomon CD a lot, but many great artists).

Mahler Symphony no. 9
Budapest Festival Orchestra conducted by Ivan Fischer

81hg7KMlybL._SX355_.jpg

This might be one of the best of 2015 - plenty of positive feedback from all over.

I sometimes think that Video is the definitive way to experience (after live of course) certain music like Mahler. The scale of the orchestra and the sheer numbers of instruments in the performance just come do not across via Audio. Visually one also gets an appreciation of the skill and sheer effort that goes into some performances.

Here is the London Symphonic Orchestra's performing the first movement of Mahler's Symphony No 2 "Resurrection"

Last edited:
This is indeed beautiful.

Actually, for Mahler Nikhil, you need to close your eyes and get within, and feel the chill "of a cloud passing on a summer day, and you shiver, and you don't know why you have the sense of foreboding"....and moments of aching beauty (e.g. around 7.18-7.47, visually you tend to concentrate on the winds, but see the texture provided by strings) ! And sometimes (sacrilege yes) bombastic and too long!

But yes, these concerts do help - like in "oh so, that was played by a bass clarinet"!! But musically, this youtube was great...hope we get a CD (that will be my 5th Mahler 2nd...Mahler wrote 9 symphonies (10 if you consider the unfinished), and how do I have about 30 CDs?)

VIvek

Tippett The Rose Lake & Mahler Symphony No 10
Sir Simon Rattle/London Symphony Orchestra

Versions

Hi,

Earlier in this thread, @vivek_r mentioned how it is relevant to select not just a composition, but also a specific version. This selection can be quite daunting when buying music, particularly vinyls. One is faced with multiple variables - the conductor, the orchestra, the soloist, the pressing/recording quality. The last criteria is pretty important, particularly in a forum such as hfv centred on audio quality. When I buy a record, it is a hit or miss, with a success rate of just around 40%. There are many among you who have compared different recordings and versions, and it will be helpful to the rest of us to get your inputs to aid in purchasing. And appreciation. So rather than ask for recommendations on good classical pieces, which generally results in a long list, I wanted to focus on one piece at a time and get views from others. Like this:

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, versions I have heard:
1. Zubin Mehta conducting the New York Phiharmonic
2. Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic
3. Michael Tilson Thomas conducting the Boston Symphony Orchestra

My favorite is the Bernstein version. But I have not heard the numerous other versions. Anyone else with his favorite Rite of Spring?

In this way, maybe we can move on to other famous pieces.

Cheers!

PS: I want to know your personal experience as a listener, so request you not to refer me to website links

LSO performance of "Right of Spring" in September 2017 at The Barbican

How beautiful.... Feels like this is how Stravinsky meant it to be! It takes a live visual performance to really appreciate the intensity and versatility of this piece. Seeing each section and soloist contribute definitely makes it so much more impactful. A brilliant composition performed brilliantly. Definitely sits right up there in the top 'Rite of Spring' performances.

Thanks for sharing Nikhil. Look forward to more such shares.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back