Wharfedale 9.5 with Denon 1910

john_k_antony

Dear all,

Has anyone paired Wharf 9.5 with Denon 1910? I am seriously considering Wharfs 9.5 FS as my fronts.

I took an audition today of Wharfs 9.5 at Vector System Bangalore. They paired Wharf 9.5 with Onkyo 702 and an old Yamaha. In both cases the speakers were sounding harsh / bright. Not as sweet as Kef IQ50 with Denon.

I would like to know whether Wharfs sound less harsh with Denons. Was it Onkyo / Yamaha making Wharfs sound more harsh?

BTW, I am planning to get a new AMP and Speaker package. I have already decided on the AMP - Denon 1910.

Now the speakers. My MAX budget for speakers is - 80K (Fronts FS, Center, SUB. NO rears for now).

So far I have auditioned

1. Denon with Kef iQ50 (Sweet and Warm, less lively for fast disco music, perfect for vocals, classical, soft and movies).
2. Onkyo with B&W 684 (Great, but expensive way above my budget. Just the front pair cost around 75K).
3. Denon with Polk Lsi 300 & 400(Not impressed. Too harsh and lack of quality compared to Kefs)
4. Onkyo with Jamo 606 - Not impressed. I think it was harsh
5. Onkyo with Klipsch - Expensive and not impressed. I think it was harsh.

BTW, is Onkyo more bright / harsh AMP than Denon. Will the above speakers sound warm with Denon?

Pending audition

1. Denon with Monitor Audio BR5

Any other good options for 80K speaker budget???

Thanks in advance,
John.

I have paired a Denon 1909 with Wharfedale diamond 9.6's. I think the combination doesn't sound harsh at all.

But you must also listen to the 10 series, i certainly liked it.

What is your room size?

Hey VJ,

Thanks for the quick reply. My room size is 25ft x 12ft. The distance from my listening point to speakers would be around 18ft.

Taking this dimensions, I thought Wharfs 9.5 should be a appropriate than 9.6. Looking at the driver sizes in 9.6, I think 9.6 would be an overkill!.

I am planning to go audition Monster Audio BR5 today. Its above my budget, but just giving it a try. If it is sounding really nice, I may just take the 2 fronts and center now and sub later. I already have the 100W onkyo sub from my existing system that is sounding okay :).

Hi john,

If you are not very particular about Denon why not try for an audition of a Marantz AVR in your budget with the 9.5s. When i bought my 9.2s, i auditioned them with a Marantz AVR and i liked the HT sound very much. The sound was so clean with no frills. Marantz and Wharfs match very well IMHO.

If you can get a Universal DVDP like Oppo 980H later, the combo will give you the best of both worlds,music and movies.

Thats my two cents mate.:)

cheers,
sri

After reading to all the suggestions I can say that you won't be too happy after Auditioning Monitor Audio with the denon model in consideration as Monitor Audio will sound bright to u if paired with denon. Polk Lsi sounded harsh to you because they r 4 ohms speakers and not meant for Denon entry level models like yours the best could have been Polk Rti A3, also Onkyo's entry level models Are on the bright side so do not compare the audition with them to the denon it's better that u buy your amp if you have decided onto it then try carrying it for audition of whatever speakers you want to listen, remember to turn off the audissey eq settings and turning pure direct mode on in the denon whenever u wana audition. Wharfedale 9.5 is a good match for this model and try auditioning it with denon itself

srikarkav -> Thanks for the reply dude. I decided on Denon 1910 for the features it provide and its not as bright as Onkyo / Yamaha. This is my personal opinion :). I think Wharf may sound better with Denon as Denon is not so bright and Wharfs are more on the brighter side. The only issue is I cant audition this combo unless I buy the AMP and take it with me to different places :(.

ashishkesarwani -> I just had an audition of BR5 with Denon 1909. To my surprise the BR5 with Denon sounded too laid back and dull. The Highs were totally cut off. I cudnt believe what was going on. I thought there was some thing wrong with connection, or a faulty amp, wrong settings etc etc. But everything looked fine. Then just to check we changed the speakers to Dali Ikon 6. Wow.. all the clarity and highs came back just fine. However you mentioned that BR5s are bright, but I felt its too dull. Could this be becuase of the speakers are gone bad? I am sure its not the AMP/Cables/Settings. As Dali Ikon-6 sounded perfect with the same configuration. What cud have gone wrong ?

Now I really wanted to audition Whars 9.5 with Denon 1910. I might have to do what u suggested. Buy the AMP and take it around :(. I have a feeling that it would sound just fine :). And this will workout easy on my pockets too :D. All the other speakers I have auditioned cost 70-80% more than Wharfs.

Thanks,
John.

ashishkesarwani -> I just had an audition of BR5 with Denon 1909. To my surprise the BR5 with Denon sounded too laid back and dull. The Highs were totally cut off. I cudnt believe what was going on. I thought there was some thing wrong with connection, or a faulty amp, wrong settings etc etc. But everything looked fine. Then just to check we changed the speakers to Dali Ikon 6. Wow.. all the clarity and highs came back just fine. However you mentioned that BR5s are bright, but I felt its too dull. Could this be becuase of the speakers are gone bad? I am sure its not the AMP/Cables/Settings. As Dali Ikon-6 sounded perfect with the same configuration. What cud have gone wrong ?

Now I really wanted to audition Whars 9.5 with Denon 1910. I might have to do what u suggested. Buy the AMP and take it around :(. I have a feeling that it would sound just fine :). And this will workout easy on my pockets too :D. All the other speakers I have auditioned cost 70-80% more than Wharfs.

Thanks,
John.

Recently I auditioned Monitor Audio Rs8 with Denon 3808 and the conclusion was that the highs were a bit too much for longer listining hours. In your case its a simple case of Bad Pairing, I would also like to remind you here that Denon 1909 and their latest model which is 1910 is a totally different product from their last year model as they have added a diffrent power supply to all their newer series and also used the high current design, so it would be best that you audition your purchse with this particular amp itself to understand better. In your case Dali might have matched well with 1909 but if would defenitely sound different with 1910.

Has anyone paired Wharf 9.5 with Denon 1910? I am seriously considering Wharfs 9.5 FS as my fronts.

>>>> Wharfedales are smooth, denon is also in the same category. But somewhere in the forum i remember Venkat saying that Denon 1910 is a bit harsh. So combination of these would be good only. Denon 1909 is really smooth and good for music and then movies. What is your preference? is it music more or movies more?

I took an audition today of Wharfs 9.5 at Vector System Bangalore. They paired Wharf 9.5 with Onkyo 702 and an old Yamaha. In both cases the speakers were sounding harsh / bright. Not as sweet as Kef IQ50 with Denon.

>>>>>I have auditioned the same in Vector. For me it sounded smooth and sweet. But i was watching only movie discs there and i did not care to play an audio cd in that system.

I would like to know whether Wharfs sound less harsh with Denons. Was it Onkyo / Yamaha making Wharfs sound more harsh?

>>> With Denon 1900 yes, but with 1910 i think it is more tuned for movies and will be bit harsh.

1. Denon with Kef iQ50 (Sweet and Warm, less lively for fast disco music, perfect for vocals, classical, soft and movies).

>>>> I think you have liked this. So just go for it.

2. Onkyo with B&W 684 (Great, but expensive way above my budget. Just the front pair cost around 75K).

>>>B&W are good. if you are planning to upgrade slowly then there is nothing like that. You can have only front left, centre and front right for B&W. Surrounds you can go for some other brand. Mind that B&W's are really good.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Dear all,

My hunt is over :). I finally decided to go for this

AVR - Denon 1910 AVR (Black)

Front LR - Kef iQ7 cherry (This is the discontinued model. The latest one in the Q series is Kef iQ70. I got a neat deal from ProFx as they had some old stocks left for this model, but sealed ones though. Got around 30% discount. These speakers are rated only 3/5 in "What Hi Fi" reviews. But when I looked at the discount and since I like Kef in general I just grabbed them. I auditioned Kef iQ7 with Denon 1910 at ProFx. It sounded bright compared to new Kef iQ50 and Kef iQ70, but with little tweaking on the AMP I almost got a satisfying sound. However I didnt like Kef iQ70 when I auditioned them last week, but Kef iQ7 sounded much better. But looking at the 30% discount, I thought it was a good pick for me now).

Center - Kef iQ60C cherry (I wanted to get a good center speaker for the movies. Though it is expensive, I just went for it as it sounded great for the movies).

For the Amp and Center, after some bargain, I got 12% discount. So overall I think I got a neat deal. You might get a better deal if u hang in there for a while and bargain better:). Unfortunately I am pathetic in bargaining :( and just took the offer.

Delivery due on next Monday evening:D.

I appreciate all yout valuable replies. Thanks once again.

Thanks,
John.

I think you should give a try with Jamo Concert Series speakers (ex: C407). They are really neutral and fits in your budget.

Thanks for the reply KBS.

BTW, I already purchased my system :)

1. Denon 1910 (Planning to upgrade to 2310 :D)
2. Kef iQ7 - Fronts
3. Kef iQ60c - Center

Bought from ProFX, Bangalore.

Thanks,
John.

Congrats john! Have a blast:). Do post your impressions on your setup.It will be very useful for guys looking to buy gear.

IMHO the Wharfs are not bright at all. They are considered as laidback all over
the net.All they want are suitable matching gears.

cheers
sri

Dear All,

Thanks for all your support. ProFX said they will deliver my system tomorrow. I will post a detailed review of the same pretty soon :).

I am going to upgrade to Denon 2310 from my initial plan for 1910. Looks like it really worth the extra bucks. Much better sound and better video processing.

This is the price breakup. Price in brackets are MRP

1. Denon 2310 - 54500 (62000)
2. Kef iQ7 - 37500 (59900). Big discount due to discontinued model.
3. Kef iQ60c - 26500 (29900)
4. Cables - 1500 (2000). These are NOT QED. They are ProFx cables that are Rs 50/meter. Looks fine.

I have seen in this forums people got better bargain than mine on similar products. As I mentioned earlier, I am really BAD at bargains and dont have that much patience :lol:

Well, I didnt buy surrounds and subwoofer. As I am going to use both of them from my existing Onkyo HTS 320 HTIB. I used the extra 15K I set aside for the sub to upgrade my Amp from 1910 to 2310 :D.

Thanks,
John.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back