Wharfedale diamond 220 for Yamaha RX-V477?

I am so glad to share that bought my first HT ( AVR + Fronts) :clapping:

AVR: Yamaha RX-V477
Fronts: Wharfedale Diamond 220.

Will be taking the delivery after 20th April.
Eagerly waiting..

Thanks a lot for the the help and guidance :clapping:
Congrats for going for wharfedales. can you share images without grills.
I have wharfedale dx-1 with yamaha avr. I am also looking for upgrade Fronts BS.
can you give updates after installation and breakeven. Do they have Kevlar cones.
I mean are they better than 10.1 Fronts or 10.1 diamonds at par.

Kindly share the experience and what db level of avr are setup. Since i am -21 db at avr and still my dx-1 sounds cupid, my living rooom is 13x12 ft.
Can you share me the price of Wharf 220.
Regards

Congrats for going for wharfedales. can you share images without grills.
I have wharfedale dx-1 with yamaha avr. I am also looking for upgrade Fronts BS.
can you give updates after installation and breakeven. Do they have Kevlar cones.
I mean are they better than 10.1 Fronts or 10.1 diamonds at par.

Kindly share the experience and what db level of avr are setup. Since i am -21 db at avr and still my dx-1 sounds cupid, my living rooom is 13x12 ft.
Can you share me the price of Wharf 220.
Regards

Thanks! Yes 220 is having Kelvar woofer. I am not so sure how it will compare with 10.1. But 220 is improved 121 and sounds better/equal to 121 as per reviews.

I could see in spec that DX-1 satellite is having sensitivity of 84db only. Are you using 477 with DX-1?

Got the RX-V477 and Wharfedale Diamond 220 yesterday and hooked up today.:yahoo:

The speakers looks great with very good build quality and finish. Connected using DAC 14AWG speaker cable. BDP, D2H etc connected to HDMI IN and HDMI OUT to TV HDMI(ARC).
YPAO set the speakers to small. Changed manually to "Large". Distance calculated was correct. All other channels it identified as "none".

Speakers are placed on Sound Foundation's Nexus stand and this stand is a perfect affordable stand for 220's. Used isolation gel pads for placing the speakers. First thing noted was the bass produced by this small bookshelf speakers. Midrange clarity is also good. After placing the speakers slightly angled towards seating I could get a proper stereo imaging. The vocals just came straight from the center.

Played some blurays and it was an awesome experience even though it is in 2.0. Equally good for music too.
477 is driving 220 comfortably and I feel the speakers are worth more than its price.

Here is the pics..

Attachments

• C360_2015-05-07-20-34-17-746.jpg
    C360_2015-05-07-20-34-17-746.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 250
  • C360_2015-05-07-20-36-54-845.jpg
    C360_2015-05-07-20-36-54-845.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 242
Hey nice pics.
I also have Yamaha 477 paired with Monitor Audio BX2 + BS Centre + Sunfire Sub. Yamaha AVR sound is quite good.
Cheers!

Thanks and agree with you.
RX-V477 is a very good AVR compared to similarly priced other models.
Good thing is Yamaha uses Burr-Brown (TI) DACs even in entry models which makes it a level up in the sound quality.
I did not find any other manufactures published the DAC chip details in the AVR specifications in the same price category.

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy your music and movies. Can you share the cost details and the shop information for the purchase. I am planning to take an audition of this setup and purchase it if I am impressed, my music taste is similair to yours. I enjoy listening to Rahman and Ilaiyaraja.

Congrats on your purchase.
Could you please tell any specific reason why you did not opted for 122's instead of 220 ?

I guess 122's are the bigger ones. Planning to buy these for room size 23x13 Ft.

Congrats on your purchase, enjoy your music and movies. Can you share the cost details and the shop information for the purchase. I am planning to take an audition of this setup and purchase it if I am impressed, my music taste is similair to yours. I enjoy listening to Rahman and Ilaiyaraja.

Thanks !
Bought it from HT Store.

What are the crossover setting used for the bookshelves and woofer ?

I am using it in 2.0 now.
AVR + Fronts only. In speaker setting it is set to "Large"
So it will play all freq and crossover setting is not needed.

Are you using Sub in your setup. Then you need to change Fronts to "Small" and crossover ( I think 80Hz you can try). If no sub just make sure Fronts are set to "Large".

Congrats on your purchase.
Could you please tell any specific reason why you did not opted for 122's instead of 220 ?

I guess 122's are the bigger ones. Planning to buy these for room size 23x13 Ft.

Yes you are right. 122 has bigger driver and costly.
220 was the new model with better finish and was in my budget.

Thanks for helping the rest of us making a decision regarding the wharfedales.

The Diamond 122 are on sale for 160 in UK and the 220 are still 200. I also have a Yamaha receiver (rx-v473) and trying to decide between diamond 122 and diamond 220.

How would you compare the bass response of 220 (5.1" cone) vs the 122 (6.5" bass cone) ? What about the rest of the sound quality, is diamond 220 now worth the 40 extra ?

Thank you.

Hi,

I heard 122 paired with Demon X2100. It was very good. But could not hear 220 in the same setup. 122 is still costly here. It is a good buy if on discounted sale.

Diamond 210 is extremely small. 220 is the minimum for listening to stereo music. All speakers work with all amplifiers within reasonable limits. The mass market Diamond and Yamaha models are all "standard" equipment that alway work fine together. There is no difference between any similarly priced amplifiers - it's placebo or outright lies if someone claims otherwise.

Last edited:
Have been using my 2.0 setup yamaha rx-v477 paired with diamond 220 bookshelf for few months.
Planning to demo and add the center channel now.
I hope diamond 220c is the the suitable choice being from same series and to match with the fronts as per the general LCR timbre matching.

Please share the experience if anyone using 220c or any other better center can be in audition list in the same budget.

Have been using my 2.0 setup yamaha rx-v477 paired with diamond 220 bookshelf for few months.
Planning to demo and add the center channel now.
I hope diamond 220c is the the suitable choice being from same series and to match with the fronts as per the general LCR timbre matching.

Please share the experience if anyone using 220c or any other better center can be in audition list in the same budget.

The Diamond 200 series sound matched and have a very distinctive sound. Don't buy any other speaker for the front.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back