Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 or Monitor Audio BR5

Joseph

Hello,

Could somebody help me with choosing between the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and Monitor Audio Bronze BR5. Is the BR5 significantly better than the Wharfedale? Would like opinions/ views from fellow forum members who might have had a chance to listen to both theses speakers.

Hello,

Could somebody help me with choosing between the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 and Monitor Audio Bronze BR5. Is the BR5 significantly better than the Wharfedale? Would like opinions/ views from fellow forum members who might have had a chance to listen to both theses speakers.

Hi:

Very good choice of speakers indeed. Actually, I have heard 9.5 with Marantz amp and really liked them, very musical, sweet treble, and good bass, lovely speakers with lots of warmth; I think that holds good for 9.6 also.

Now, I've also heard BR5 with Marantz amp, here we have a more refined speakers in BR5, lovely midrange and a bit edgy treble, got to partner it carefully with a more warm amplifier, also have to be more careful with positioning to get that soundstage. I felt bass is nothing great here. Yeah, they are small floor standers when compared to 9.6.

My pick would be Diamond 9.6 :D

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for your reply. Let me please clarify on your opinion.

1. Wharfedale 9.6 scores high on treble and bass performance, however the BR5 is more refined and has better mid range.

Is the above inference correct? Also, is the MA RS6 a significant upgrade compared to Diamond 9.6 or BR5.

I tend to like the MAs for their compactness and finish, but had not got a chance to listen.

Hi Vinod,

Thanks for your reply. Let me please clarify on your opinion.

1. Wharfedale 9.6 scores high on treble and bass performance, however the BR5 is more refined and has better mid range.

Is the above inference correct? Also, is the MA RS6 a significant upgrade compared to Diamond 9.6 or BR5.

I tend to like the MAs for their compactness and finish, but had not got a chance to listen.

Hi:

You are correct. Yes MA speakers have excellent finish, all their range are compact and are a treat to have it in the living room:)

Well, MA RS6 is far superior to 9.6 and BR5 and will beat them hands down any day. If you can stretch your budget, you can take the plunge and get the RS6.

I have RS6 for the last one month and they are stunning:D

PS - Please audition all three speakers before taking the plunge.

The Monitor Audio BR5 is far better than wharfedale 9.6. It has slightly lesser bass but its bass is better controlled and more accurate than 9.6. Also, its drivers are of far superior quality and cabinet more dead.

Above all, it is lot more listenable than the wharfedale. Fatigue sets in much much later. This is a very important but often overlooked aspect in speakers. A speaker can stun a listener and make him sit up when it starts playing but you may feel like turning it off after 20 min. Another one wont impress you when turned on but lets you enjoy music and before you realise its 2:30 AM when you thought you go to bed at 11:30 PM after a small session with your stereo

The MA belongs to the 2nd category. Which one would you choose? Take your pick

Thanks a lot, Vinod and Flanker for sharing your valuable experience. I shall be auditioning these speakers soon.

Flanker is probably right. But the impression I got when I listened to the BR5 was that it was not such a special speaker. It is refined, alright, but maybe a little too refined. This may contribute toward it being eminently listenable.

But the Wharfedales (9.6) are more emotionally involving as well as warmer plus they have deeper and tighter bass.

Pure voice is better handled in the MA BR5 though. So, depending on musical tastes, your choice is made. The PSB Image T45 is what I would personally prefer over both these.

And if instruments, voices and long term listenability are such a priority, then an audition of the comparatively priced KEF iQ5SE is recommended. They recently bested the MA BR5 easily in a WhatHiFi comparison, I believe.

Both PSB t45 and KEF IQ5 are superior to Wharfedales.

Watch out if you decide to go for PSB. They are tricky to partner with lot of amps. they have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms (not a major hassle but old amps are not too comfortable driving them). Also at 88db/w/m they are not of the efficient side. But ya when matched well, they are excellent speakers

Back