What 5.1 setup with a/v receiver

Barun7

Hi all,
I am currently in the process of renovating my house(Kolkata). And by renovation, I also plan to take care of the entertainment part. :)
I have a budget of around 40-50K for a decent entry level 5.1 setup. After a lot of searching, I've zeroed in on the Harman Kardon HKTS 20BQ and the Harman Kardon AVR 70. I already own a JBL charge by the way and have confidence in JBL/HC.
My living room size would be 325 sqft(approx). Order of preference- Movie 70%, Music 20%, Games and others 10%.
Can anybody suggest whether it's a good choice or not? I have found good reviews for Yamaha NS-P40 as well but also not sure about the after sales service.
People who have owned or have knowledge about this speaker and/or the a/v receiver please suggest. This is my hard earned money and I don't want to end up repenting afterwards.
P.S. Should this setup compliment Sony Bravia Xreality Pro(32 inch)?
Thanks in advance,
Barun Dey

With a big room, go for a 7.1 setup if you budget permits.... If you like the HK stick to that... Pick a 7.1 AVR, complete your 5.1 set-up now and then add speakers to complete 7.1 setup...

You can use front heights/surround back for more movie like experience...

Thanks. But, wil the Harman Cardon be good enough for now?

'for now' is not a good way to go, I would think so.

I would suggest to get a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver over Harman. Pioneer has some good entry level models in budget. Check Reliance Digital outlets, they sometimes have some very good deals and offers on AVRs, especially Yamaha ones.
My second and very strong suggestion would be not to go with a 5.1 package such as Yamaha NSP-60 or others. Instead take your time and visit some of the well known high-end audio dealers in the city, listen to few brands (Dali, PSB, Wharfedale, Polk and others), see which one you like best in your budget and then pick up the two fronts. A center speaker is the next step, good centers do not come cheap. You will need a sub-woofer, for movies the Sonodyne Roar 210 would do. Build gradually and in the end you will have a great HT system, if you want to get a 5.1 package within 50K then after a few months you are sure to find it lacking and will end up spending more money.

Lastly why are you leaning toward Harman? Are you getting a good deal from somewhere?

Last edited:
For the room size i guess going with bookshelf speakers+sub would be sufficient. Would say dont buy sat+sub since the subwoofer may not produce room filling bass. Since most htib packages come with 8inch subwoofers. I would tell you to go in for polk audio actually since your movies ratio seems to be higher than music. So polk audio is ideal. However with a limited budget. Going with bookshelves would not be possible due to budget constraints. One package i would rather recommend you is the boston acoustics a2310hts. I have heard this one and its very good for the price it comes at. The other alternative would be pioneer andrew jones 5.1 which again would be expensive like polk audio. You may audition some of these at some stores nearby. Remember audition is a must. You need to be satisfied as a user. We can atmost suggest you to hear a speaker. But the decision should be completely yours. As for the receiver stick with a denon. As i feel them more balanced and puchy as far as movies are concerned. In my signature you will find the models of polk which i have. They are the entry level ones. And costed me 73k inclusive of avr+5speakers+subwoofer. So you need to really make a choice only after auditions. Jbl/Harman Kardon.......well they are definately good brands but seem overpriced. Also i have heard about service issues related to harman/kardon so would say stay away.....but do audition them. You will get an idea as to where they stand against the other brands.

'for now' is not a good way to go, I would think so.

I would suggest to get a Pioneer or Yamaha receiver over Harman. Pioneer has some good entry level models in budget. Check Reliance Digital outlets, they sometimes have some very good deals and offers on AVRs, especially Yamaha ones.
My second and very strong suggestion would be not to go with a 5.1 package such as Yamaha NSP-60 or others. Instead take your time and visit some of the well known high-end audio dealers in the city, listen to few brands (Dali, PSB, Wharfedale, Polk and others), see which one you like best in your budget and then pick up the two fronts. A center speaker is the next step, good centers do not come cheap. You will need a sub-woofer, for movies the Sonodyne Roar 210 would do. Build gradually and in the end you will have a great HT system, if you want to get a 5.1 package within 50K then after a few months you are sure to find it lacking and will end up spending more money.

Lastly why are you leaning toward Harman? Are you getting a good deal from somewhere?

Yes sir, I'm getting a reasonable offer along with free installation from a reputed dealer.

For the room size i guess going with bookshelf speakers+sub would be sufficient. Would say dont buy sat+sub since the subwoofer may not produce room filling bass. Since most htib packages come with 8inch subwoofers. I would tell you to go in for polk audio actually since your movies ratio seems to be higher than music. So polk audio is ideal. However with a limited budget. Going with bookshelves would not be possible due to budget constraints. One package i would rather recommend you is the boston acoustics a2310hts. I have heard this one and its very good for the price it comes at. The other alternative would be pioneer andrew jones 5.1 which again would be expensive like polk audio. You may audition some of these at some stores nearby. Remember audition is a must. You need to be satisfied as a user. We can atmost suggest you to hear a speaker. But the decision should be completely yours. As for the receiver stick with a denon. As i feel them more balanced and puchy as far as movies are concerned. In my signature you will find the models of polk which i have. They are the entry level ones. And costed me 73k inclusive of avr+5speakers+subwoofer. So you need to really make a choice only after auditions. Jbl/Harman Kardon.......well they are definately good brands but seem overpriced. Also i have heard about service issues related to harman/kardon so would say stay away.....but do audition them. You will get an idea as to where they stand against the other brands.

Thanks sir for the inputs. I'll keep this in mind.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back