What cable has most influences on your systems sound?

My experiential learnings:
- Cables ‘change’ the sound.
- ‘Different sound isn’t necessarily ‘better sound’
- One tends to like the ‘difference’ when one introduces a new cable in the system.
- Cables (usually complex and costly) that add refinement could cut down on the naturalness/emotionality in the sound.
- Simpler and cheaper cables could do the job (arguably better) if you aren’t after refined, hifi-ish sound.
- Optical improves separation, clarity. But coaxial cable keeps the sound textured and flowing.
- The ultimate test of any change in the system is whether makes you listen to the music more.

Speaker cable seem to make the most noticeable change in my setup. It's like an ice cream flavour. They are all good, but one flavour will become your favourite.

MaSh

Speaker cable seem to make the most noticeable change in my setup.
I find any change with cable in the chain can cause alteration in sound quality .It can be speaker cable, powerchord, Digital cable or cable/wire inside pre/amp/Dac(found when did DIY).
After all path should be clean as much as possible.

I find any change with cable in the chain can cause alteration in sound quality .It can be speaker cable, powerchord, Digital cable or cable/wire inside pre/amp/Dac(found when did DIY).
It’s obvious when the cable you changed has some resistance / capacitence change compared to Original ones. Therefore the length matters too. A very long coiled cable works like an inductor!

Also some of them are better shielded.Poor shielding Leads to addition of emi from surroundings. Depending on how “quiet” your surroundings or what type of noise your surroundings have it may make improvement or make it worse.

To me cables are a sensitive area which works and not works depending on where you use them, and what it is connected.

That being said, it’s not a good idea to go for a cable reading a review or by reading an impression by some random guy on his random system . Try it out, sell it out if it didn’t work out for you.

it’s highly possible that a cheap cable works wonders on your system than an expensive one.

Last edited:
Well unless you are listening in a studio or a live show, the sound is altered in my opinion. I just run after what sounds best to me in my room.

MaSh

Power cables areike the canvas to the painting. Rest of the cables act like the paint n brush. I feel spesker cables affect the bass more than ic. Wht Sachin said is right. They all change the flavour and eventually you may want something different. Suggest one avoid cables rhat.ame drastic changes to the sound like too warm too bloom etc or you'll get a one trick pony. I've had very good experience with simple coaxial designs for the ics and twisted pair for speaker cables and very mixed results with litz wire. Twisted speaker cables with 2 or 4 wires per channel using good copper material gave me the best sound IMHO. IC that use a high Guage central conductor like 26awg copper one gave the best results. Power cords there was no fixed formula. Guage, geometry all did something.
As someone pointed out its totally dependent on the Amp you use. I've loved some pc on amp x and hated the same on amp y. But I do feel that pcs set the stage on which the ics and speaker cables perform, especially the blackness of the background and control of the bass.

Eventually I just use the cheapest or second from the bottom range of cables of any decent manufacturer based on the geometries as described. Prefer simple thin rca plugs over overbuilt ones.

The best and most balanced cables I've heard are transparent but you need to get the entire loom and you have to go pretty high in their lineup to get everything. But the cost is simply to high to achieve. I know many people will poopoo the boxes but the higher end transparent are really superb. The cable favors multiple frequencies instead of building everything around one.

Last edited:
Speaker cables do play important role, I have used QED, monster & nordost difference is very clear and visible. IMO

The entire audio chain is important so all cables matter.. I personally have found the interconnects and usb cable to have the most impact on my system..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back