What do i do with these boxes?

trumee

I have collected boxes for Polk speaker and the AVR. There is no space in the apartment to store them, so they are stacked in the living room :(

Should i throw them away?

What did you do with yours?

W1IV8K4.jpg

What is your selling/upgrade propensity? You’d need them in case you envisage putting them up for sale. But if you are the kind that doesn’t change his rig often, and plans on keeping the speakers and equipment for years, disposing them off makes sense for those living in space-constrained urban regions (unless we are talking of equipment costing lacs of rupees). At the worst, you’d be forced to sell locally (without the original packaging) if you eventually decide to sell. It’s not clear where you live, but if the distributor has a repair center in your own city, then even that eventuality (shipping for repairs) is covered. Flattening isn’t an option as the boxes are of no use without the cut-to-profile thermocol packing inside.

Please read my suggestion if you have a loft, if not, ignore.

Keep the thermocols only in the loft and just dump the rest, the boxes anyhow become useless after a point. You can later get PVC sheet/double or triple density packing cardboard and make a box around the thermocol, it works for me. I keep boxes of a few things, but mostly due to similar constraints, I have to get rid of most of the boxes.

What is your selling/upgrade propensity? You’d need them in case you envisage putting them up for sale. But if you are the kind that doesn’t change his rig often, and plans on keeping the speakers and equipment for years, disposing them off makes sense for those living in space-constrained urban regions (unless we are talking of equipment costing lacs of rupees). At the worst, you’d be forced to sell locally (without the original packaging) if you eventually decide to sell. It’s not clear where you live, but if the distributor has a repair center in your own city, then even that eventuality (shipping for repairs) is covered. Flattening isn’t an option as the boxes are of no use without the cut-to-profile thermocol packing inside.
Oh yeah sorry I forgot Thermocol packing inside, without them outer box is good for nothing for shipping, so flattening is not a right option.

Great comments guys. Seems the thermocol packing is worth holding onto. If I were to throw them away, is it possible to buy thermocol from the market and make them the right shape. I have never bought thermocol before :)

Great comments guys. Seems the thermocol packing is worth holding onto. If I were to throw them away, is it possible to buy thermocol from the market and make them the right shape. I have never bought thermocol before :)
Thermocol from open market will be low density with bigger granules. Sheets lesser than 2" thickness will tend to brake even for little pressure. It requires skill to cut in to exact shapes, otherwise the particles of thermocol spreads everywhere and stick onto the objects due to static charge. The original packing will have densified thermocol and in compressed format for exact fitment of Equipment. IMO, better to keep the original thermocol packing as for as possible. After market Thermocol is only an alternative.

I would suggest to keep thermocol as well as the boxes (in flattened condition). I've been doing the same for years.

I have thrown away the boxes but kept the thermocol. Movers and Packers can built the boxes easily but cannot replace the thermocol easily as others pointed out.

Unfortunately, in an apartment the space is at a premium so need to store things judiciously.

Bro boxes are a pain but you are going to need them whenever you want to sell the items for an upgrade, better flatten them and store them.
it will be a pain to sell anything without original box to ship in.
Yes that's the way to save space or can be kept under bed if has space.

I have collected boxes for Polk speaker and the AVR. There is no space in the apartment to store them, so they are stacked in the living room :(

Should i throw them away?

What did you do with yours?

W1IV8K4.jpg
Keep the smaller speaker boxes inside the bigger ones and store them in your attic if you have one. If you are planning to keep your gear for a long time then dispose the big ones.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back