What do you’ll use to clean inside of equipment?

Here is the best Prem, a water filter, nothing available, even remotely will compare :

Since 1936 !!! Patented.
How do we use this Equipment to Clean the Insides of an Amp/PC/TV ?

Please don't faint, but I really used to dismantle the boards and rinse them under running tap water. Then I used to scrub the pcb's with baking soda to remove the oxidation on the copper tracings. Then a final wash with mineral water and drying for 2 days before assembling it back. I did this several times with noticeable improvements to the sound. I finally stopped this procedure after it killed my AMR dac. Guess I must have scrubbed off all the copper in my hunt to make the sound super clean 😅

Please don't faint, but I really used to dismantle the boards and rinse them under running tap water. Then I used to scrub the pcb's with baking soda to remove the oxidation on the copper tracings. Then a final wash with mineral water and drying for 2 days before assembling it back. I did this several times with noticeable improvements to the sound. I finally stopped this procedure after it killed my AMR dac. Guess I must have scrubbed off all the copper in my hunt to make the sound super clean 😅
Did you unwind copper coil from transformers too to clean the core??? 🙂🙂🙂

@prem do consider not cleaning the insides of the electronic components unless there is a malfunction. Dust may not interfere (perceptibly) with electrical signals in a circuit, but the risk of loose contacts while cleaning is a possibility

Been there and done the same with my HTPC computer board. I regularly clean the computer desktop fans under running water. It feels great to see a shiny PCB that looks like new and fans without a speck of dust on the blades :):). However I wouldn't recommend this procedure to anyone. You have to be careful and use it only when the PCB is thoroughly dry.

Last edited:
Been there and done the same with my HTPC computer board. I regularly clean the computer desktop fans under running water. It feels great to see a shiny PCB that looks like new and fans without a speck of dust on the blades :):). However I wouldn't recommend this procedure to anyone. You have to be carefully and use it only when the PCB is thoroughly dry.
Yeah I used to airblow them with the vacuum cleaner and then dry under the sun till I was certain they were absolutely dry. Maybe it was my imagination, but I felt it sounded better after a clean up.

Edit : thought I'd add that the purpose of my cleaning was not to just remove the dust. But it was to remove the oxidation on the copper tracings. Luxman now use a gold copper mix for their tracings with an additional layer of varnish on top to prevent oxidation which deteriotes sound. And it will be more prevalent in coastal areas due to increased salinity. Something for coastal belt members to try this Sunday 😜😜

Last edited:
Luxman now use a gold copper mix for their tracings with an additional layer of varnish on top to prevent oxidation which deteriotes sound. And it will be more prevalent in coastal areas due to increased salinity. Something for coastal belt members to try this Sunday 😜😜
I believe all manufacturers now coat the PCB with some kind of green paint to protect the copper traces (in rare cases I have seen red paint too).

Prem,

For not-too-sensitive equipment and to blow away accumulated dust, I use a blower like this (it's not too bulky really)

It has variable speed and has an option to switch from blowing to vacuuming. Service technicians use this too.

On the other hand, for grimy tiny crevices, I use a paint brush moistened with diluted IPA

Best

I have seen my friends Boss cleaning his old Yamaha amp with soft brush(make up one) and then blowing away the dust.The procedure was done side by side and too much dust was wiled out. Amp looked very cleaned.

Only heavy duty vacuum cleaners works for me. Only last month I cleaned my Denon AVR after 6+ years. First I used suction mode to remove any dust and then full blower mode to carefully blow any resuidal dust.

If moisture in your area is an issue, then there are sprays available online which can be sprayed below the track side of PCB to prevent shorting etc. I have tried using them 15 years ago in my Sony amplifier and they really work.

Check this out @prem https://scscoatings.com/electronic-...Ea--OB_mZztMcg5TfDwXyigngKUz_JB8aAnODEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back