What does the Logo on Records refer?

alwayslogo

Hi
I attaching the image of Aaradhana LP with a different Logo.

Can anyone tell its significance? And how its price varies?
6d47c5f9a0454a09b385a999b8e480c3.jpg

Regards
Logo

Each vinyl LP is pressed from a "Master" disc and each Master disc has a certain useful life after which the LPs made with this master does not give a very good quality sound. So I presume (not sure) that the LP manufacturers come out with new LPs under new logo made from the worn out master LP and they market these LPs at a cheaper rate. By doing this they can avoid legal problem if someone decided to sue them for bad quality.

On another note, I have Aradhana songs on an HMV branded disc but here you have it on Angel records. Though, both owned by the Gramophone Co. I guess Angel might be the first press. Other learned members may offer their views please.

Angel is the first press. Odeon is the second press. Angel is the more sought after and will command a higher price

I am of the same opinion.

However one of my friends referred that Odeon vinyl material is better than Angel and hence sounds better. More precisely, Angel sounds softer than Odeon. The quality difference may be prominent in high end set-up. As I have a lower middle level audio rig, I did not notice any difference.

No Souravin, Angel sounds better. First presses always sound better. The problem is to get them in a good condition. Most of them have been abused with heavy cartridges. Hence dynamics are squashed. However the Angel first presses were introduced as Odeon first presses in the international market. They will have a white odeon sticker on the lp cover. These sound good but very difficult to get

Souravin, it's easy to get a mint lp of Aradhana or Jewel Thief or Guide or Teesri Manzil on the Odeon label. It's kind of impossible to get them on Angel label. Between a mint Odeon copy and a highly used Angel copy I would go for Odeon.

This thread is going great.

@Prem, I agree for the rarity of the Angel press. I have seen instances (read Teesri Manzil) the back cover says Angel however the LP logo is Odeon.

When I laid my hands on Teesri Manzil Angel press I found the LP back cover is also different - the logo.

Then there is Odeon double groove and Odeon plain logo story. Listeners belief is that Odeon double groove sounds better.

I have several LPs where the there is golden sticker in the logo - meant they have been produced for overseas market- again advised by a friend.

There's one more thing.

You may find that the weight of records kept reducing over the decade and change in label.

Angel Label circa 1960's - The heaviest

Odeon circa 1970's - Markably Lighter but still good

HMV / EMI 1980's - Very light and fragile also very easily chipped.

The golden sticker are for the later presses. No difference between press for Indian market and press for international market with golden sticker

Double circle Odeon is for the early MOCE releases. Typically released between 1970 and 74. Then came the red dog for titles like Aap ki Kasam, Majboor, Roti Kapda Aur Makaan,etc. the last one I think was for Trishul. I that period they also had black dog releases. For example Aandhi. So I am not sure what the criteria was for Red Dog and Black Dog

Basically try and get the first press.

Frend2001, I am not sure what is the co relation between the wt of the vinyl and its sound quality. Maybe other experts can chime in. Also as thickness of vinyl changes, one needs to change the VTA on the tonearm. This is a feature that most tables dont have.

I find the pre 1985 EMI/HMV lps to sound very good. Absolutely no issues.

Souravin, the golden Odeon sticker in the later releases was put for business reasons. Odeon was the releasing label for the international market. So unlike in the 60s when there were separate presses for Angel and Odeon, post 70s, they just affixed the Odeon label on the Indian release and shipped it abroad.

@Prem, you're right I guess.

CBS records are way lighter then other ones but still sound comparatively good but I guess we need veterans of forum to throw some light over this "Weight to Quality Ratio"

Thanks Prem. Very informative post.

Frend2001, I am not sure what is the co relation between the wt of the vinyl and its sound quality. Maybe other experts can chime in. Also as thickness of vinyl changes, one needs to change the VTA on the tonearm. This is a feature that most tables dont have.

I find the pre 1985 EMI/HMV lps to sound very good. Absolutely no issues.

Souravin, the golden Odeon sticker in the later releases was put for business reasons. Odeon was the releasing label for the international market. So unlike in the 60s when there were separate presses for Angel and Odeon, post 70s, they just affixed the Odeon label on the Indian release and shipped it abroad.

Don't have any experience of Bollywood LP pressings, but with pop/rock/jazz/ Indian classical releases the HMV/EMI Indian pressings were way way superior to anything issued by Polydor. The latter used thin recycled vinyl that was crackly even when new, and I've lost count of LPs that I had to discard even when bought new. A pity, because they had some good titles in their roster in the 70s and 80s.

CBS India used the Polydor factory for their own releases in the 80s, but they must have insisted on higher quality standards, because their pressings were much better than Polydor's own, though still a notch lower than those that came from HMV.

Some years back I'd responded to an 'LPs for sale' ad, where the seller had more than 150 unplayed pop/rock LPs. Sadly, I had to pass when he mentioned that he was one of Polydor's factory managers, and these were titles he'd acquired from unsold stock when they shut down.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back