What genres sound best on Vinyl?

Varma

What genres sound best on Vinyl?

I know Rock sound great on vinyl. I was wondering, how does Classical and Film Scores sound on Vinyl?

Following Artists/Recordings will sound phenomenal on any Laser aligned , Geopolitically stable,Non nuclear fuel propelled analogue rig.( Sub to availabaity of Vinyl for that perticular title.

But issue is that if they sound good ARE YOU GOING TO CHANGE your favorite jonoure??

Partial List -

Solomon Linda
Shalom Hanoch
Slin hans Jns mns
Moksha - Marathi Heavy Metal
Altaf Raja
Arnold Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony No. 1
Rampat Harami
Mamta Banerjees Speeches
DJ V-Nutz feautring Yin Ts

In my opinion, its nothing to do with genre.

Vinyl always sounds much better than any other format.

For instance, I have Michael Jacksons Thriller Album, in 3 different formats - LP, Casette, CD. LP always sounds warm, complete and natural. I never found anything (high,low, mid) missing when I listen in LP.

Last edited:
There are two assumption's that the title of this thread makes.
First that one is familiar with a wide variety of music.Which is usually not the case.Most people listen to only a particular kind of music and have little interest or knowledge of other kind's of music.Before making generalisation's one would probably need to spend year's,decade's,multiple lives :) before possibly being in a position to venture any opinion on multiple "genre's".I dislike using or hearing the "g" word because it is used too casually or thoughtlessly by most people.
The OP 'knows that rock sounds great on vinyl'.Which rock?The easy listening soporofic rock of Eagles,Dire Straits and Pink Floyd?The screaming,wailing rock of Led Zeppelin,Deep Purple,King Crimson and Black Sabbath?The Rock'n'Rolling sounds of The Beatles,Rolling Stones and The Who?The live rock of Cream and Grateful Dead?The blues inspired rock of Hendrix,Clapton,Stevie Ray and Mayall?The protest rock of Woody Guthrie,Phil Ochs,Bob Dylan and Joan Baez?British Rock?American Rock?Rock from the 60s,70s,80s,90s?Male rockers or women rockers?
Second that listening to a particular genre on Vinyl can be better than listening to the same stuff from a CD or a Flac/Dac,Mac/Dac.One would not only need to listen to all the "genre's",but listen to them on Vinyl,on cd,on a hard disk,on a cassette.....before being able to draw any conclusion.
Whether one prefers cd or vinyl is a matter of preference based on which format one has invested time and money in over the years.Good sound,from vinyl or cd,irrespective of the music being played,would depend on the entire chain of clean power,quality of recording,source,amp,ics,speaker cables,speakers,room acoustic's,placement,listening position,lack of ambient noise.

Last edited:
I am thinking of getting into Vinyl. I already started getting some LP's.

The reason for starting this thread -
From what I read, most of people mentioned that Rock music sounds great on Vinyl. But, I mostly listen to Film Scores and Classical music. So experienced Vinyl users can let me know their experiences.

Now that the new film score releases ( The Dark Knight, Inception, Gladiator ) are coming on Vinyl, I thought instead of buying CD's I can get Vinyl and can convert them to Flac.

I second ajay...

there vinyl is a medium. it is meant to convey the music, now whether it does well on a particular genre or not is not really a valid question.

Being an extreme analogue audiophile (for the lack of a better description!), i can very enthusiastically say that vinyl does all genres very very well. That is, if set up properly.

The other day, this was revealed to another hifivision friend who was over - amit (denzong). As per him, "vinyl can't do rock very well..."

after about an hour and several songs by Metallica, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden later, his perception took a complete U-turn...

Now, as a closure, i'd like to say this: CD or vinyl, whatever your preference, choose your components carefully. get them to work well together, tune your room up and enjoy! In the end, it not about what medium you choose is about how well you implement it. the genres will sound good irrespective....

It all boils down to the mastering. A well mastered cd will sound better than a poorly pressed/mastered lp and vice versa on similar level systems. In general vinyl has better highs as compared to digital. You have to spend a lot of money on digital to get the highs right.

As far as I know vinyl will always have difficulty at very low frequency response as stylus will require huge excursions to make and rumble noise gets mixed with audio. So any music which has very low frequency sound will not sound good. Having said that personally I think it won't be noticeable in wide variety of popular music.

As far as I know vinyl will always have difficulty at very low frequency response as stylus will require huge excursions to make and rumble noise gets mixed with audio. So any music which has very low frequency sound will not sound good. Having said that personally I think it won't be noticeable in wide variety of popular music.

Hiten, I haven't experienced this in my set up yet....

I am thinking of getting into Vinyl. I already started getting some LP's.

The reason for starting this thread -
From what I read, most of people mentioned that Rock music sounds great on Vinyl. But, I mostly listen to Film Scores and Classical music. So experienced Vinyl users can let me know their experiences.

Now that the new film score releases ( The Dark Knight, Inception, Gladiator ) are coming on Vinyl, I thought instead of buying CD's I can get Vinyl and can convert them to Flac.

If the purpose of buying vinyl is to convert into FLAC/Any digital format, IMO it is not necessary. Professional companies are already doing that and releasing it in the form of CD. It is easier to convert a CD into digital format, than a vinyl into digital foramt. Also when you convert audio tracks from vinyl into FLAC or any other digital format, you may need to do post processing to achieve better result. You can buy vinyl if you want to listen vinyl, but buying vinyl for converting into digital format is like re-inventing wheel.

If the purpose of buying vinyl is to convert into FLAC/Any digital format, IMO it is not necessary. Professional companies are already doing that and releasing it in the form of CD. It is easier to convert a CD into digital format, than a vinyl into digital foramt. Also when you convert audio tracks from vinyl into FLAC or any other digital format, you may need to do post processing to achieve better result. You can buy vinyl if you want to listen vinyl, but buying vinyl for converting into digital format is like re-inventing wheel.

What I meant was, if I buy Vinyl, I can listen to vinyl plus I can listen to them on computer too. But I can't do the other way around.

Manav.... Buddy..... I love vinyls. Even though I listen to them on average setup, I still like them. And you are more experienced and have heard more systems than me. So hoping you don't bash me up :p ....

Bro, Isn't it true that to get more dynamic range Vinyl comes in 12 inch singles format which has only one song per side with much more groove space ? So logic tells that loud passages and very low frequencies will benefit from wider grooves. But normal vinyls don't come in that format. What I meant from Very low frequencies like church organs instruments, etc. that's why I used words "Very low frequency" and "Wide variety of popular music".
Also Vinyls are cut with equilisation and played with reverse equilisation, so how true (Fidelity) it remains to the music? Anyway I am open to change my thoughts because it makes this hobby very interesting. :)

To me bengali modern /film songs from 60s to 80s sounds much better in vinyl. This could be true in case of Indian Classical /hindi film songs from that time provided the LPs are in good condition. To me Bade Gulam ali sounds better in vinyl - much more involving sound. Recently I started listening to vinyls to listen these musics only. I am not commenting on any other type.

Thanks

In my opinion, its nothing to do with genre.

Vinyl always sounds much better than any other format.

For instance, I have Michael Jacksons Thriller Album, in 3 different formats - LP, Casette, CD. LP always sounds warm, complete and natural. I never found anything (high,low, mid) missing when I listen in LP.
Dear ukj,Agreed though i do get the feeling its bland sometimes.do i call it as lacking sharpness. Or is it because of the all pervasive CD sound whch i have heard in the last 20 years.rgds.visu

Sound reproduction on LPs are definitely not Genre-Specific...although most vinyl junkies tend to associate vinyl with old releases, classic releases, original releases during the prime days of vinyl, etc....however, i still enjoy listening to brand new releases on vinyl...its got nothing to do with the Genre and date of release of the album....its the pleasure one gets from vinyl fidelity...!!

Manav.... Buddy..... I love vinyls. Even though I listen to them on average setup, I still like them. And you are more experienced and have heard more systems than me. So hoping you don't bash me up :p ....

Bro, Isn't it true that to get more dynamic range Vinyl comes in 12 inch singles format which has only one song per side with much more groove space ? So logic tells that loud passages and very low frequencies will benefit from wider grooves. But normal vinyls don't come in that format. What I meant from Very low frequencies like church organs instruments, etc. that's why I used words "Very low frequency" and "Wide variety of popular music".
Also Vinyls are cut with equilisation and played with reverse equilisation, so how true (Fidelity) it remains to the music? Anyway I am open to change my thoughts because it makes this hobby very interesting. :)

That is true. But every method has its trade-off... but before i get into that, lemme share this lil analogue secret with you: try and get as many LP's on the 45RPM format. it negates all the limitations of the 33.3 rpm to quite a bit.
The sound is superior.

now coming back to fidelity... while its true that there is a bit about eqiualisation and reverse equalisation in effect, but that is just one single step of 'tampereing'.
In the cd format, one has many such steps at play:
1. The music is compressed into binary spirals... a process that involves compressing data as well... so there you have it- data is compressed at stage one itself... this then has to be decoded at the time of play...
2. Filters and Digital to Analogue conversion...
3. Clocking and reclocking of data for playback...
2. The recording process, itself, involves aliasing filters for bandlimiting, the redbook cd format does 20/20 hzt on either side of the spectrum, completely within the human hearing range. but, BUT, completely cuts out all the subsonics... subsonics are noises that we can't hear but they are FELT by our bodies (ever had your hair stand up while listening to vinyl? well, if your amp and speakers are capable enough, you'll experience this with vinyl.)
3. Jitter: most cdp's don't handle this very well and believe me, this is as bad and worse than wow, flutter & rumble... to handle this well, one has to invest upwards of Rs 1L on a cdp.... one can do much better with a vinly player at a third of this cost!

these are just a few very basic processes involved in cd playback (and yes, there are many more) while vinyl playback has only one stage of equalisation/re-equalisation... the other great digital format (DAC + PC) that is growing in popularity is still struggling on many fronts... but IMHO, once it licks these probs, it might finally bury the vinyl format on most counts. and epecially on the fact that HD tracks have a superior dynamic range, no-maintenece and instant playback.....

though, it still won't have the tactile feel and emotional involvement that vinyl has. this last is seen as a great plus by people like me... and seen as a HUGe negative by some other people (like Prem)! so there you have it!

Last edited:
Hi Malvai

I went into vinyl because it has higher emotional involvement but at that mid level i did not find it superior to Esoteric. To my ears the vinyl did more things wrong than right. Maybe my vinyl was not set up correctly? I do not know but in my rig Esoteric did almost everything better.

Last edited:
Hi Malvai

If you want your cd player to sound like a very good analogue set up, go for the AMR 77 cd player. When you listen to a AMR 77, it sounds as if a turntable is playing. It has a lot of those qualities which impresses a vinyl guy.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back