What is the best all rounder loudspeaker in the 75k to 100k budget these days ?

Hmmm, I wonder what the retail for a pair of Tablette Anniversary is. Any idea?

About 1200 pounds in UK. Singapore dealer was quoting approx US$2k. In India - not too sure. I believe Absolute sound in B'lore is a dealer.
Cheers
Sid

Thanks guys.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Proac tablette looks ravishing. I have sent him some of your suggestions. I keep you all updated. He is also looking at the new Epos epic floor-stander and creek electronics since he is particular about a floor-stander. All cables, source, floor-stander needs to fit into 1.4 lakh.

Square_wave, when I heard the Creek (CDP and amp), I found it absolutely average, too soft and polite, lacking in detail and dynamics. I heard it with the latest Epos M12i.

@Sarge in,
He is particular about an audition before he pays. With salks, you cannot do that. And with shipping and customs, it will blow his current budget. He needs everything under 1.4 lakh INR. The songtower would be my top pick for anyone looking for a floor-stander at sane price levels.

DR Bass, thanks for the tip.

Hope you won't mind some OT here. So many praises for Salk speakers have kindled my interest but the shipping would be the biggest deal killer I guess. I wish they ship the drivers+crossovers with build plan. I sent a PM to Mr. Salk about it in AC but got no response.:indifferent14:

@Sarge in,
He is particular about an audition before he pays. With salks, you cannot do that. And with shipping and customs, it will blow his current budget. He needs everything under 1.4 lakh INR. The songtower would be my top pick for anyone looking for a floor-stander at sane price levels.

DR Bass, thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I hear you. No audition, shipping and esp customs can be a deal-killer for so many.

Btw, my personal next-in-line non-ID speakers are Focals. Just go up the line as high as the budget allows.

captrajesh - keep us posted if you hear back about the kit..

No audition, shipping and esp customs can be a deal-killer for so many.

Btw, my personal next-in-line non-ID speakers are Focals. Just go up the line as high as the budget allows...

Hope you won't mind some OT here. So many praises for Salk speakers have kindled my interest but the shipping would be the biggest deal killer I guess. I wish they ship the drivers+crossovers with build plan. I sent a PM to Mr. Salk about it in AC but got no response.:indifferent14:

Just found this thread.

If you are into kits then why not try these. They might not be Salk standard but will come pretty darn close if done right.

New DIY MTM Towers designed by Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger - Audioholics Home Theater Forums

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6258&d=1262478303

I too wrote to Jim Salk and he responded overnight (he might have been travelling or preapring for a show when you wrote). With regards to kits this is what he wrote:

We do not offer kits. We don't work from typical CAD drawings (we build so many cabinets, we don't need detailed drawings for our purposes - just accurate measurements). So we don't really have any drawings that we would be comfortable publishing. And we aren't set up to provide the kind of support individuals would need to do projects of this sort (it is somewhat specialized and typical cabinet maker skills don't always apply).

Just to give you an example of what DIY would cost (paying retail for drivers - manufacturers pay a fraction of retail). The Focal Chorus woofers sell for about $70 at Zalytron (http://www.zalytron.com/focal.html). So for a pair of say 836V (retail $3000/pr). you will shell out $800 in drivers (assuming T120 tweeters). Add another $400 for cabinets and $200 for crossovers and you have a cost of $1400. For a typical mass market manufacturer like B&W/KEF/Focal this would probably drop to $500 or so (for a pair) but these prices (cabinet or driver) are not available to most of us.

Last edited:
You must audition MA Silver RX6 & Dali Ikon6. Both are "all-rounders" at about 70k.

Hi guys, what to choose between Polk Rti A9 vs Kef Q900 for 80% movie preferences? Thinking about buying one of them today. Quick replies appreciated?

Between the two...Kef anyday!!! <IMHO>

Hi soulforged. Thanks for your reply. I've heard that Q900's (93000) don't deliver low frequencies well when compared to Polk A9's (82000) as well as Polk equivalent models of Kef are better for movies as Kef is for music enthusiasts. Is that true?

Also, if you've had any experience with Definitive Technology BP10's, are they in the same league? I've been offered 75k for a pair of said deftechs. Please advise, thanks.

Hi soulforged. Thanks for your reply. I've heard that Q900's (93000) don't deliver low frequencies well when compared to Polk A9's (82000) as well as Polk equivalent models of Kef are better for movies as Kef is for music enthusiasts. Is that true?

Also, if you've had any experience with Definitive Technology BP10's, are they in the same league? I've been offered 75k for a pair of said deftechs. Please advise, thanks.

Comparing KEF and Polk, I have found Polks to be very bright and harsh. They maybe ok if you are throwing a party and want loud music with not much fidelity. It's not just about how low or how high they can go, it's about how faithfully the reproduce the freq spectrum. KEFs are definitely good with music but that does not mean they cannot do movies. I actually use my KEFs exclusively for movies. Also, you will be having (eventually I guess) a sub to take care of the LFE.

Now adding DefTech to the equation...I have not had any experience with the said model but the models that I have heard blew me away...they are fantastic HT speakers. You should definitely consider them. I cannot comment on the price, maybe others can provide some inputs.

In the end, please listen to all options and then decide...

Last edited:
You must audition MA Silver RX6 & Dali Ikon6. Both are "all-rounders" at about 70k.

Ikon6 are more of movies speaker and less musical. Play a Rock song with lots of instruments and imaging, instrument separation is lost. Won't recommend at all if you listen music > 50% of the time.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back