What is the best point and shoot in the market today ?

Here a couple of L120 . .

Amazing Field of depth

31279320882816979221571.jpg

Super macro mode. The caterpillar is no more than 5cm in length ...

31784921003764402831571.jpg

37519320855550297571571.jpg

Pigeon image is at full 21x Zoom ....... image as still/stable as if taken few feets away ....

30268920882818579261571.jpg

Last edited:
Canon ELPH 300HS, in adddition to common features this have Full hd video and super slow motion mode.

Because this point and shoot will probably deliver better images than a 19k DSLR with a kit lens. Also there are times when you can't lug around a DSLR - especially parties and such when you'd look like a clown if you are carrying a DSLR :lol:.

At times you need reasonable quality images and you can't carry a DSLR. That is when a super fast compact like the above is very very useful. My primary camera is a 40D with a canon 17/55 f/2.8. But most of the times, when I don't particularly care about image quality and need convenience, a small high quality P&S like the above wins.
Hmm ..i am not camera guy, just said value proposition .

I know the convenience part,personally carry as PS,but paying 3X for a point-and-shoot dunt u think customer is made already a clown :eek:hyeah:

Forums like this has been used to market products ,beware customers ..dont end up finding ....it's just 'snake-oil' !!! . :yahoo:

Quality wise will Nikon D60 is unbeatable i guess with that overly marketed PS camera.

Hmm ..i am not camera guy, just said value proposition .

I know the convenience part,personally carry as PS,but paying 3X for a point-and-shoot dunt u think customer is made already a clown :eek:hyeah:

Forums like this has been used to market products ,beware customers ..dont end up finding ....it's just 'snake-oil' !!! . :yahoo:

Quality wise will Nikon D60 is unbeatable i guess with that overly marketed PS camera.

Hey Kaushik,

I already own a DSLR. Canon 450D.

But a DSLR is just not practical in many situations :)

Can you tell me in technical terms why the olympus camera is not a good idea ?

I am looking to buy a secondary camera for casual photography.
- Budget 12 20 k
- Good zoom capability. Not looking at ultra zoom capabilities but need just enough to probably zoom into a bird on a tall tree.
- Want reasonable wide angle capability.

I was on same lookout a month back.

Try the canon Ixux 230. It has 8x zoom and is very small. This was one of the contentions along with Canon Sx220 when I was to purchase mine a month ago, but the Ixux 230 was very very new that time and did not reach the stores in time for my purchase.

I got the Sx220 and Iam happy. The Ixus 230 has lesser zoom and is ultra compact. (In fact very compact to the level of not being comfortable using it).

Both have High sensitivity sensor (HS) and retail around 15k.

I own an s95 and I am happy with it. S100 is out. That should be a good point and shoot camera. (And BTW, I also have a Nikon D80)

Nikon Coolpix P7000 is retailing for $250 on Amazon (probably a black Friday deal) if you can get someone to bring it to India. I have used many of the Coolpix series and they have always done the job for me.

Amazon.com: Nikon Coolpix P7000 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Wide Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3-Inch LCD: Camera & Photo

Retails for > $450 at both Adorama and B&H.

as per comments on amazon, it used to sell for 339 some days ago, raised to 399, and now its for 250. so basically its 80$ discount. its an older model as 7100 is already out.

Does it worth spending some 14k for a PS ?. obviously you wont be using it to capture an image for an exhibition . Any 6 or 7 K PS can easily do the job its meant to .

Last edited:
Does it worth spending some 14k for a PS ?. obviously you wont be using it to capture an image for an exhibition . Any 6 or 7 K PS can easily do the job its meant to .

well thats more of choice... a 6-7 PS would generally have lower quality lens and fancy pixel rating.. perform bad at high iso's..

now that does not mean that everyone has to buy an expensive camera..
quality increases as the price tag goes up...

point is.. satisfaction... what would make you happy.. if a 6k camera makes u happy.. it anyday beats a dslr.. that might be in your wardrobe..

however now that he mentioned a budget of 20k.. he can look for options under that range and yes anycamera wud do the job..

but camera's with better sensors and lens will be able to deliver far superb quality.

also look for pana lumix LX5

keep canon g12, s100 and nikon p7100 in your checklist.. these are the best of camera in compact class.. all under 20k ...

Last edited:
a DSLR cant replace a point and shoot , some occasions convenience matters much more than image quality .

Hi Kannan,

I entirely agree. Portability and convenience of use are major factors in photography. A point and shoot camera in your hand will get that shot that a dozen larger SLRs sitting at home or in the studio won't. Some of the folding German roll film cameras had a "red point" at which the aperture, shutter speed and focus could be set for "point and shoot" photography under under most conditions.

Henri Cartier-Bresson made his name by capturing "The Decisive Moment" with the Leica that he carried in his hand for taking photographs at the time when the subject was perfectly framed. Dr. Erich Salomon took historic photographs of international conferences with his hand held Ermanox and later with a Leica. Of him the French Foreign Minister Aristide Briand famously remarked, "All you need to organise an international conference is a table, a few foreign secretaries and Dr. Briand."

Regards.

Last edited:
@theironhorse ,
its true , the "happy factor" really matters , most of my photographic needs as a hobbiest is fulfilled by my humble 1KD and 350d but always there is craving for a 5d Mk2 or at least a 7d and i know that the 3x or 5x price difference wont bee seen in the pics, still there is a want in me for those bulky beasts . So if its the happyness factor leads you and got enough money to spend get the best may be a Leica M9 only a bit bigger than those pricey PSs but 100x Happy factor only negative is that you wont get a retractable lens .

after much agonising research i finally zoomed in on Olympus E-PL1(with 14mm-42mm kit lens) which I ordered from Flipkart for 18.5K....
this will replace my old and sturdy Minolta Dimage A1...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back