What is the lowest realistic amount required for a Hi-fi setup?

spy king

Hey all!

I have been reading these forums and for a long time been wanting to get into serious stereo setup for music...

I would like to know, what according to you, would be the minimum($$ :p) one requires to get into this? :)

Looking forward to your inputs :)

Hey all!

I have been reading these forums and for a long time been wanting to get into serious stereo setup for music...

I would like to know, what according to you, would be the minimum($$ :p) one requires to get into this? :)

Looking forward to your inputs :)

Are you open to used products? That would help better answer your question.

You should get a Used amplifier in good condition for Rs.7500/- Used CDP for Rs.5k and Used speakers for Rs.7500/- Keep looking for the sale ads in hifivision , You may end up lucky .

You should get a Used amplifier in good condition for Rs.7500/- Used CDP for Rs.5k and Used speakers for Rs.7500/- Keep looking for the sale ads in hifivision , You may end up lucky .

Even new amp from Norge for 7500 & spk 7500.

second had stuff well, that would depend right on the time and how lucky I get...

for new, stuff, what is the minimum one would need? :)

Thanks!

as mentioned,used deals can get you some pretty decent equipment.the only thing required will be patience for the same.pm hifipalforall(ramesh),he may be able to help u.as for new stuff,like spiro suggested,goin for a amp/spkr combo from norge with a decent cdp like the marantz cd5001 will get u a very satisfying vfm setup.cost accrued should be around <30k tops.cheers

And why is everyone assuming that he is on a budget trail and recommending used stuff? Do you guys know something that I don't?

Spy king - what equipment exactly are you looking for? To some - an iPod + good headphones also would constitute "serious" hi-fi.

Different "oddiophiles" have different takes on "serious" - so it would help to specify what you are looking for. A ballpark ceiling for your budget would help too. What sort of music do you listen to? What is your room size?

And why is everyone assuming that he is on a budget trail and recommending used stuff? Do you guys know something that I don't?

Exactly.

Spy King, though the enthusiasm of our members in giving you answers is always welcome, you need to be more specific in your queries. The range of equipment and prices are as varied as 10,000 to a couple of lakhs or even more.

Let me add my bit to the confusion. If you are not worried about a budget, I would say, at the minimum, look at the following figures for your equipment:

1. CD Player - 25K
2. Amplifier - 50K
3. Speakers - 50K
4. Cables and ICs - 15K

Cheers

my bad,folks.just assumed the tone to the qn seemed one determined by "minimum budget" for max bang and hence the options.of course as venkat,keith have suggested will help if u have a ballbark figure in mind.if not limited by budget,its an open ocean out there,but the break up of costs as stated by venkat would be a great start.happy hunting.cheers

Hey all!

Thanks again for the inputs.. :)

A little background.. I'm 19.. So not really earning anything :p So wanted to know, what would be the minimum required to save up to get a VFM Amp/Speaker combo :)
Music taste would be pretty diverse, but mainly Progressive Rock, metal, and also ghazals.. :) and umm.. room size.. :S not measured.. I will have to get back to you on that one :)

Not looking at any active speakers(Ae2, Ae5, swans) casue then the upgradability factor goes for a six as i understand it right now..

And I plan to drive the amp/speakers right away from my computer via digital out or decent DAC/soundcard
Later plan to upgrade to better stuff :)

From what I've picked up, the Norge + Wharfedale is the best bang for the buck?

PS:bear with me.. I learn fast though :D

Edit:I am currently using a sansa fuze with rockbox and Fiio E5 with the Beta Pro by brainwavz (not serious audiophile stuff I know)

@grubyhalo yep.. :) I am open to DIY.. I checked out the DIY forums too been pondering about the same...

Last edited:
Bottom scraping level:
Norge amplifiers
Norge speakers

Entry level:
Miniwatt amplifier
MP-301 amplifier
Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers
Cambridge Audio S30 bookshelf speakers
Q Acoustics 1020/2010 bookshelf speakers
Tannoy F1 custom bookshelf speakers
Yamaha NS333 bookshelf speakers
Yamaha NS6490 bookshelf speakers

Have to get back to work now. Later...

I bought the AE2 for 10k, sold it for 7.5k after a year.....and still got some 8-10 other inquiries when I was selling it......so upgrading shouldn't be much of a concern....a net loss of 2,500 bucks for 1 year of exceptional usage is pretty sweet i would say.

Not looking at any active speakers(Ae2, Ae5, swans) casue then the upgradability factor goes for a six as i understand it right now..

haha! True! :)

So it seems like around 20k is the bare minimum..

Hmm thanks all for your inputs! :) gotta start saving up now!

spy_king,

For a hi-fi system that blows your mind from day one i would say it would cost you 50K.

Another option is to start with entry level equipment and then upgrade over time as you improved your listening skills and collect music of your taste. I had a DVD player with a Sony combo unit. Threw out the combo main unit, bought a Norge amp connected to the Sony Speakers. Sound quality improved significantly, now i got a pair of good speakers. Sound quality has again improved. I am saving up for a DAC now :clapping:

EDIT: I agree with Rajanravi, you can listen to true audiophile systems when you have loads of moolah. Right now buy a dvd player, a norge 2060 amp and norge millieniums. Should cost you 3000+7800+11500+Interconnects=Approk 23K.

Last edited:
hey wait! even I have an old Sony hi-fi system.. will a norge amp bring them somewhat to life? :S then I can get the amp now, and bookshelves when I can save up enough! :D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back