What is the right approach for room treatment in high end audio ?

I was thinking of a few panels of diffusers behind the speakers and couple of panels of absorbers behind my head on the wall.

Sounds like a reasonable plan of action. Strong (broadband) absorption behind listening position would certainly stop reflected sound from messing with the primary wave front.

Space behind the speakers is also similar. I was thinking of a few panels of diffusers behind the speakers and couple of panels of absorbers behind my head on the wall. I don’t need anything on the sides because the speakers fire into sofas and bookshelf full of books, curtain etc. Also there is ample space on the sides and my listening is nearfieled ( 8 ft max distance from head to speakers)

GIK has these cool looking panels with designs which blend into the décor. Hence the interest in them.

Looks like a good plan, GIK is a good option, QED diffusors will be bit expensive but again it will make room live. If possible you can put some absorption panels in roof also, people say the smallest dimension in most cases will be the height ( especially in US) of room and hence room modes.

I was thinking of a few panels of diffusers behind the speakers and couple of panels of absorbers behind my head on the wall.

Hmm. If I were in your position, I'd first list, subjectively, the issues I sense with the sound in the room. Then, I'd measure the room to get an objective view. Then, and only then, would I start to take measures to fix the room acoustics.

Like with most everything else, if you don't know what the problems are , you can't know what the solutions might be.

I have been largely successful in removing 50% of the reflection from my room by using controlled dispersion in my open baffle speaker. This has removed all confusion and clutter in my midrange and highs. The rare wave from my open baffle meet the front waves at the baffle edge and cancel out. So more of direct sound reaches you at the sweet listening spot. This has dramatically increased center image and sound stage

How little or how much of room treatment do you do ?

At what point did you feel it is too much or too little ?

What are critical room treatments that you feel is necessaryfor the magic to happen ?

My thought process is like this :

A room with no treatment is a bare room with nothing in it. I mean totally bare concrete walls and a person sitting on a wooden stool in front of the speakers. Anything that is added to this will act as a some kind of treatment because everything has some absorption or diffusion properties.

Carpets, curtains, sofa, chairs, bookshelves with books in it, material of the walls / floor / ceiling. Everything changes the sound in someway. If you add professionally created treatment materials you are doing something in a scientific manner rather than putting a sofa or bookshelf with books which has got some unknown properties.

In the light of the above thought, I would like people whohave a lot of experience put forth the thoughts which govern their approach.
I came across this clip of musicians playing inside this huge cooling tower and looked for the right thread to post it.
this one seemed somewhat related (Mods please feel to relocate it if you feel it fits better elsewhere)
Here it is:

I came across this clip of musicians playing inside this huge cooling tower and looked for the right thread to post it.
this one seemed somewhat related (Mods please feel to relocate it if you feel it fits better elsewhere)
Here it is:
Wonderful...the difference with playing it live is the musicians adjust the music so it fits in with the surroundings !!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back