What is your configuration for Computer Audio?

I use it this way

Mac book pro
JRiver - Media Center - Memory play
M2 Tech EVO USB Convertor ( with SMPS adaptor) -> BNC Out to DAC

I tried once with the 9V Alkaline battery for the M2 Tech EVO USB convertor , while there was some improvement , it did not motivate enough to get into additional trouble

Just found "A+ remote" via Google search: https://audirvana.com/?page_id=3620

Nikhil, I found this and am using it now: https://www.splashtop.com/

It connects any device (Android or iOS) to any computer (Windows or Mac). Isn't that awesome?

You can control, not just your music player, but any file or application on the computer from a mobile phone or tablet. This also gives you touch functionality which is absent on the computer. I'm amazed by the cross platform functionality which lets me control A+ on the Mac mini with my Android phone.

Thanks for prodding me in this direction :)

Cheers!

Hi Kishore,

These new remotes are amazing. I now almost exclusively use my phone to control playback while listening. Much more than the iPad which I used to use before. Must take a look at Splashtop

Regards.

I was expecting to see a lot more FMs using computer audio.
Especially with the convenience of computer audio etc.

While there are quite a few computer audio users how many on here are also using conventional sources?
The reason I ask is because a few people I know are going back to CDs which is interesting.
Personally I have given up on CDP playback over three years ago and haven't looked back.

Last edited:
I was expecting to see a lot more FMs using computer audio.
Especially with the convenience of computer audio etc.

While there are quite a few computer audio users how many on here are also using conventional sources?
The reason I ask is because a few people I know are going back to CDs which is interesting.
Personally I have given up on CDP playback over three years ago and haven't looked back.

Nikhil, in addition to computer audio, I use CDP and Cassette tapes. Some thoughts:
- Vinyls, CDs and prerecorded cassettes are perhaps the only accessible media that bring music directly to the listener from the recording company, in (presumably) the way they wanted it to sound;
- the liner notes and accompanying anecdotes provided with the above media certainly add to my enjoyment of the music;
- official sources of digital music for the computer are very limited or very expensive (e.g. HDTracks) or not the best quality (Google Play/ Apple Music). So one is forced to copy or use pirated music, often claimed to be remastered and ripped expertly, but stripped of its original balance by unnecessary enhancements. Moreover, this has perhaps led to the decline of the recorded music industry, with great musicians having to struggle hard to get by, sometimes having to sell themselves to commercial demand, rather than devote themselves to creative pursuit;
- lastly, each medium has a characteristic sound with its own unique charm, even if the sq isn't technically superior.

Would love to see others share their views.

Cheers!

Never got chance to listen to Vinyls but still do have a good collection of cassettes although the player has died so they are gathering dust but I agree I liked the quality from cassettes very much.

Nikhil, in addition to computer audio, I use CDP and Cassette tapes. Some thoughts:
- Vinyls, CDs and prerecorded cassettes are perhaps the only accessible media that bring music directly to the listener from the recording company, in (presumably) the way they wanted it to sound;
- the liner notes and accompanying anecdotes provided with the above media certainly add to my enjoyment of the music;
- official sources of digital music for the computer are very limited or very expensive (e.g. HDTracks) or not the best quality (Google Play/ Apple Music). So one is forced to copy or use pirated music, often claimed to be remastered and ripped expertly, but stripped of its original balance by unnecessary enhancements. Moreover, this has perhaps led to the decline of the recorded music industry, with great musicians having to struggle hard to get by, sometimes having to sell themselves to commercial demand, rather than devote themselves to creative pursuit;
- lastly, each medium has a characteristic sound with its own unique charm, even if the sq isn't technically superior.

Would love to see others share their views.

Cheers!

You make some great points there but where do you get CDs nowadays?
All the usual places seem to be closed for all purposes.

On the software side of things - yes it's hard to get good material. The prices are on the higher side but I get what you mean when you say the material's provenance sometimes is a bit mixed. Probably a good topic for discussion on another thread maybe as I would like to discuss hardware here.

BTW I use Musicscope to check the provenance of files:
https://www.xivero.com/musicscope/

Regards.

I wonder why noone mentioned any SBC for computer audio. Am I missing something?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I wonder why noone mentioned any SBC for computer audio. Am I missing something?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Allo sparky can be called as a SBC for audio and can be used a a NAA or a direct computer which will do playback

My configuration is a simple Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Sound card with Creative INSPIRE T6060 5.1 Speakers. Forgot how many years went by with that setup, still going strong with desirable results.

Apart from a few it doesn't look like a lot of FMs are using SBC.
Although like you say there should be more given the high vfm factor.

Not only vfm
I feel if processing needs not high then sparky would work better then a AVG audio pc
Specially with the new usbridge card

I am extremely happy streaming from laptop to chromecast audio to power amp and then to speakers. A simple but effective chain.
I either use 'Tidal' or 'foobar with bubble pnpserver'.

Not only vfm
I feel if processing needs not high then sparky would work better then a AVG audio pc
Specially with the new usbridge card

I know you were keen on the SBC but I didn't go that route because I was looking to use HQPlayer for PCM upsampling to DSD. This needed a pretty decent machine at the time.

What is the highest rates that these SBCs can handle?

Regards

I'm using Raspberry pi 3 Kodi via USB out to Schiit Gungnir DAC which accesses my files from HD and from NAS. I don't know whether it'd qualify for computer audio...
I found USB out from raspberry pi better than the digi+ board.

Rarely I use my MBP for listening via the same DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back