32 bit vs 64 bit Software

Nikhil

Staff member
This is a bit of a dated question but I just realized a few days ago that I was running 32 bit JRiver on my AudioPC. Uninstalled it and got the 64 bit version installed. I don't know if I'm hearing things but the music seems to flow with a little more ease. Confirmation bias? Who knows. I am aware of the benefits of 64 bit software in terms of memory handling etc but still not sure if that in any way is supposed to affect the sound.

Has anybody else experienced this?
My setup at the moment has the following software:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Version 1803 (Build 17134.860)
Process Lasso v9.3.0.74
Fidelizer Pro 8.5
JRiver Media Center v25
HQPlayer 3.25.4

Hardware is circa 2015 so old but still functional

Intel Core i5 4440 CPU 3.1 GHz processor
Asus B85M-G motherboard
Kingston 32GB RAM
Kingston 120 GB SSD

In a Win 64 bit OS, 32 bit applications run under a different subsystem - WoW64 (a layer). Who can say how much dumbed down that layer is (or even if it is dumbed down at all). Then, there are many things that technically shouldn't affect the sound in Windows but they do. Why they do is beyond my comprehension. A latency of microseconds in some operations, affects sound very evidently sometimes and at other times, it does not. I realized that I was spending more time trying to find out the "why" and getting nowhere - these days I just slot it in the bracket of the unexplained like UFO's and the Yeti, and move on. :)

Edit: Yes, 64 bit JRiver sounds different as compared to its 32 bit version.

Last edited:
100 percent in agreement with Keith.. Keith noticed my 32 bit Jriver and changed it to 64 bit which did change the sound along with a host of other things which only he can explain...

In a Win 64 bit OS, 32 bit applications run under a different subsystem - WoW64 (a layer). Who can say how much dumbed down that layer is (or even if it is dumbed down at all). Then, there are many things that technically shouldn't affect the sound in Windows but they do. Why they do is beyond my comprehension. A latency of microseconds in some operations, affects sound very evidently sometimes and at other times, it does not.

Edit: Yes, 64 bit JRiver sounds different as compared to its 32 bit version.

100 percent in agreement with Keith.. Keith noticed my 32 bit Jriver and changed it to 64 bit which did change the sound along with a host of other things which only he can explain...

Thanks guys. For a while I was wondering if I was just hearing things!
The sound is more free flowing or open. With 32 bit sounding slightly flat in comparison.

I still can't figure out how my JRiver ended up being 32 bit.
Could the JRiver update(s) have been the cause?
Either way I'm glad to have moved to the 64 bit version.

Regards

I was in the same situation Nikhil but thankfully Keith pointed it out. The 64 bit did sound a bit open just as you said... I may have changed my OS after installing Jriver to a 64 bit one and therefore forgot to reinstall the 64 bit Jriver

I checked my old JRiver install file and saw that it was 32 bit.
Might have taken place when I switched to v25 earlier this year

Last week JRiver correctly (auto)detected my OS and sent the 64 bit version.
But yes - 64 bit does sound better and is now becoming the new "normal" sound in my setup.

Bits are certainly not bits in this case!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back