Bug Head Player

For quite some time now the developer has stopped supporting anything other than Windows 10 (but I can personally confirm that 7.28 and beyond runs without a hitch on Windows Server 2012). And from version 7.28 one needs a processor that supports AVX 2.0.

For quite some time now the developer has stopped supporting anything other than Windows 10 (but I can personally confirm that 7.28 and beyond runs without a hitch on Windows Server 2012). And from version 7.28 one needs a processor that supports AVX 2.0.

Oh this may be the reason the later onces are not working on my laptop. How do I check AVX?

Check the model number of your processor and look up the detailed spec sheet of the processor and see if it supports AVX or AVX 2.0. I think Intel Haswell and Skywalk onward are AVX 2.0 compliant.

Can someone please point me to a download link for an older version that supports versions of windows earlier than Win 10 ? I am unable to find it online, only links to recent versions all of which require Win 10. Thanks!

Vineetrad, sent you PM.

Older versions are not archived by the author. I can upload specific version for you as I downloaded most (but not all).

I'll be happy to share of I have the version you need but I honestly don't know which version works on Win 7. There are lots of discussions on Jplay forum.

Version 6.66 works on win 8.1 and Win 7. I'm running 2x upsampling, sGalaxy, Phase adjust A, Snow3x2 with stardust x4, avx x2, and I'm happy with the sound. Quite mellow and relaxing.

I tried maxing out the upsampling and the optimization with 30+ lines but I don't really find the sound much different so stick to the above settings now.

I'm running an i7 5960x with 64GB DD4 RAM in case that is relevant to anyone.

Oh, and I'm using the tissue paper trick on my tweeters to take away that last bit of digital glare. A bit of "jugaad" but important thing is I'm listening to music instead of worrying about analysing the sound and fiddling more with the settings :)

You can go easy on the number of Optimisation lines. In my experimentations, I've liked 5-7 lines most. Higher numbers like 12 to 21 simply deadens the music. Also, do set to use all your processor cores. Setting on right hand side of playback screen.

Before playing an album, use Rewrite to rewrite the full album. If you're going to use AVX2 during playback, use the same AVX2 flavour to rewrite. It does really improve the quality of the sound.

If you're keen to access your PC remotely from a handheld device, you can try using something like Splashtop to take remote control of your computer. I stopped using it as I hate constantly switching tracks.

Thanks Joshua

Yes correction on my previous post what I meant to say is that higher lines muffled the music and it made it worse for me not that there wasn't any difference :)

I'm currently using 8 lines. Sit at my desktop while editing most of the time with near field monitors so don't need to control the PC remotely. Will keep the AVX2 rewrite in mind. I think I have it set that way but will double check.

Does anyone have 6.61? I can't get the current version to work, it also seems to flag it as a virus.

I'll check my music PC if I have that version.

In the meantime, check if your processor supports AVX2. If it doesn't, 7.27 was the last version that runs AVX. All later versions are AVX2 only.

I'll check my music PC if I have that version.

In the meantime, check if your processor supports AVX2. If it doesn't, 7.27 was the last version that runs AVX. All later versions are AVX2 only.

I have an Intel 3930k, I think that is AVX, based on a quick google.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back