What is your experience with up firing Atmos speakers?

ISO

I need to take decision between ceiling mounted down firing speaker (which is difficult and not safe also but very effective) v/s up firing speaker (very easy just place on L/R speakers) that sits on the L/R tower speaker. .

I read on various forum that sound coming from Atmos height speaker is so weak that some people do not make out difference that up firing speaker makes.

Hence, I want to ask what is your experience with Atmos up firing speaker?

I need to take decision between ceiling mounted down firing speaker (which is difficult and not safe also but very effective) v/s up firing speaker (very easy just place on L/R speakers) that sits on the L/R tower speaker. .

I read on various forum that sound coming from Atmos height speaker is so weak that some people do not make out difference that up firing speaker makes.

Hence, I want to ask what is your experience with Atmos up firing speaker?

Ceiling downfire speaker sounds way better than upfiring speakers. The atmos content relatively even is low but is amazing for ones which do have content, you can make up for atmos getting overshadowed by giving it a higher gain in AVR settings and that makes it easily distinguishable when the channel is in use. With upfiring speakers the height dimension was not as spectacular as with downfiring speakers..

As mentioned above, ceiling mounted ones sound much better. For top firing ones, you need to have perfect acoustics to get the expected output which is very difficult in most Indian homes where we typically have fans, lights, wall beams etc. on the ceiling.

Are you planning for 2 or 4 speakers on the ceiling? Also do you have a fall/drop ceiling installed or the speakers have to be mounted using a mounting bracket? The speaker and placement recommendation could be better based on this information.

Are you planning for 2 or 4 speakers on the ceiling? Also do you have a fall/drop ceiling installed or the speakers have to be mounted using a mounting bracket? The speaker and placement recommendation could be better based on this information.
Thanks, no falls ceiling. need to mount them using bracket.
frankly, I have a fear that they will fall on my head while sleeping.

My AVR supports only 5.1.2 Atmos or 7.1 so only two speakers on ceiling.

I bought a pair of JBL control 1 for Atmos, but couldn't use then as the clearance for my fan wasn't enough. But i used the stands that came with them. They are pretty sturdy. Those miccas look a bit big and might need to be added flush, if you dont intend to angle them, then it's fine.

I bought a pair of JBL control 1 for Atmos, but couldn't use then as the clearance for my fan wasn't enough. But i used the stands that came with them. They are pretty sturdy. Those miccas look a bit big and might need to be added flush, if you dont intend to angle them, then it's fine.
Yes JBL control one I'm using them as surround sound. They are sturdy. They are better than Micca. I need one more JBL pair. Anybody wants to sell them?

Yes JBL control one I'm using them as surround sound. They are sturdy. They are better than Micca. I need one more JBL pair. Anybody wants to sell them?
How is the quality of JBL as surrounds better than Taga basic speakers ?

JBL Control 1 also have safety wire, right? That's the additional fail safe.

Friends, I got a suggestion of following speakers for ceiling. pl. give your frank opinion.

Micca COVO-S Compact 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers

I do not see a mounting provision on the back of these Micca speakers in the Pictures. Since you need to mount on a ceiling, ensure any speaker you purchase for this purpose has a standard thread hole(s) for wall/ceiling mounting.

Also, as your config would be 5.1.2 max, the ideal Celing speaker position for 2 speakers is Top Middle (directly above your Listening position). For this position, the speaker should be mounted so its fully pointing downwards. If this is not possible and you need place the speakers in front or back of your seating position, then the speakers should be angled towards the listening position.

I was considering buying the JBL control 1 to install as Top Front speakers and then bumped into a seemingly OEM copy of it sold by MX at a much lesser price and took a chance by purchasing as the price was impulsive.

It looks exactly similar to JBL but I have no way to tell if it is using the same components inside. It comes with the same sturdy mount that comes with JBL.

I was considering buying the JBL control 1 to install as Top Front speakers and then bumped into a seemingly OEM copy of it sold by MX at a much lesser price and took a chance by purchasing as the price was impulsive.

It looks exactly similar to JBL but I have no way to tell if it is using the same components inside. It comes with the same sturdy mount that comes with JBL.
Impedance‎4 Ohm

check once.

How is the actual performance?

Yes, I saw the MX, they are a knock-off of the JBL. I did not want to risk it sounding harsh since I did not have the option to hear them before buying.

@OP - I got my JBL from AV shack 6 months ago, they had the best deal at that time.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back