What is your experience with up firing Atmos speakers?

Yes, I saw the MX, they are a knock-off of the JBL. I did not want to risk it sounding harsh since I did not have the option to hear them before buying.

@OP - I got my JBL from AV shack 6 months ago, they had the best deal at that time.
JBL is not smooth sounding either but they do the purpose of surround.

JBL is not smooth sounding either but they do the purpose of surround.
Yup exactly, but being locally made and considering the rest of the components in the setup, one needs to strike that balance/compromise, whatever we want to call it :)

I have not heard the JBL Control 1 so really can't give a comparative opinion. Because I wanted something specifically for the Top channels, I made the compromise favoring lower cost of MX with a hope it is actually a OEM copy of JBL with different sticker on it. Well MX was just a sticker in the front and back, literally. :)

I did a brief listening test of the MX pair as Front LR with some movie scenes and music before installing them on my ceiling as Top channels and in my subjective opinion, found it bright in the voice/mid frequencies, lows were not great as expected for a small speaker with plastic housing and highs were decent. One thing I can say for sure is they can get really loud for the small size and price.

I have not heard the JBL Control 1 so really can't give a comparative opinion. Because I wanted something specifically for the Top channels, I made the compromise favoring lower cost of MX with a hope it is actually a OEM copy of JBL with different sticker on it. Well MX was just a sticker in the front and back, literally. :)

I did a brief listening test of the MX pair as Front LR with some movie scenes and music before installing them on my ceiling as Top channels and in my subjective opinion, found it bright in the voice/mid frequencies, lows were not great as expected for a small speaker with plastic housing and highs were decent. One thing I can say for sure is they can get really loud for the small size and price.
Thanks. Going for MX is no brainer than paying more than twice for the JBL. How is the actual Atmos response?

Thanks. Going for MX is no brainer than paying more than twice for the JBL. How is the actual Atmos response?

Been only 2 weeks since I added the top front channels so was able to do only some brief testing with Atmos and DTSX demo videos which was good but I had a feeling the front LCRs overshadowed the top channels so planning to do more level calibration and testing this weekend.

I am yet to identify some good movies that have noticeable height effects for the true Atmos experience. I do not mean to derail the topic on this thread but any suggestions for good Atmos movie/scenes with height effects would be appreciated.

Been only 2 weeks since I added the top front channels so was able to do only some brief testing with Atmos and DTSX demo videos which was good but I had a feeling the front LCRs overshadowed the top channels so planning to do more level calibration and testing this weekend.

I am yet to identify some good movies that have noticeable height effects for the true Atmos experience. I do not mean to derail the topic on this thread but any suggestions for good Atmos movie/scenes with height effects would be appreciated.
Top front? Atmos best effect is speaker on top of the listener.

Godzilla.vs.Kong is the best movie for Atmos effects.​

Top front? Atmos best effect is speaker on top of the listener.

Godzilla.vs.Kong is the best movie for Atmos effects.​

Speaker on top of MLP in Dolby terms is Top Middle position and this is ideal when using only 2 speakers for overhead effects. I am using 4 speakers and Dolby recommends Top Front and Top Rear for this setup. Below is Dolby recommended layout for 7.x.4 configuration.

7_1_4_mounted_overhead.jpg

Speaker on top of MLP in Dolby terms is Top Middle position and this is ideal when using only 2 speakers for overhead effects. I am using 4 speakers and Dolby recommends Top Front and Top Rear for this setup. Below is Dolby recommended layout for 7.x.4 configuration.

7_1_4_mounted_overhead.jpg
Thats great. Do you have dedicated room for this? Generally rear surrounds are difficult in Indian homes

Please illustrate how you mounted speakers on the celling and what safety precaution you have taken. Actual photo are appreciated.

I have fall ceiling in the HT room so I have the mount base screwed to the cross beams that actually hold the gypsum boards. Luckily the base of the wall/ceiling mount that came with this speaker is rectangular in shape and all 4 screw holes fitted perfectly within the width of the cross beams. This speaker weighs around 1.3kg. So the mount is secured well with 4 screws and one additional nut and bolt I added but no additional safety precaution to secure the speaker itself from the mount for now. This speaker has a additional provision to secure it so I may tie it with a safety wire for the extra precaution.
IMG_0586.jpg

Here is how both speakers look from the side. I particularly went for book shelf speakers for the Top Front position so I can angle them towards the listening position. Tilting will not be necessary in a 2 speaker only setup where it will be right above the Listening position so should face directly downwards. For the Top rear speakers, I have used in-ceiling speakers pointing straight down.
IMG_0587.jpg

Thank you so much for detailed reply and illustrative photos. This will help not only me but other forum members also who want to upgrade to Atmos. I see height speakers are not straight facing downwards but angled, I believe it is so to aim at listening position.
I have fall ceiling in the HT room so I have the mount base screwed to the cross beams that actually hold the gypsum boards. Luckily the base of the wall/ceiling mount that came with this speaker is rectangular in shape and all 4 screw holes fitted perfectly within the width of the cross beams. This speaker weighs around 1.3kg. So the mount is secured well with 4 screws and one additional nut and bolt I added but no additional safety precaution to secure the speaker itself from the mount for now. This speaker has a additional provision to secure it so I may tie it with a safety wire for the extra precaution.
View attachment 62412

Here is how both speakers look from the side. I particularly went for book shelf speakers for the Top Front position so I can angle them towards the listening position. Tilting will not be necessary in a 2 speaker only setup where it will be right above the Listening position so should face directly downwards. For the Top rear speakers, I have used in-ceiling speakers pointing straight down.
View attachment 62412

View attachment 62413

Off the topic but when one sets up Atmos speakers these are the best new scenes to test and feel Atmos:

1) Money Heist season 5 1st episode starting scene
2) Mad Max Fury - Intro & chapter 3
3) Bohemian Rhapsody - Live Aid performance
4) 1917 - many scenes with planes and bombs

There are multiple movies and series, but I use these as reference when I calibrate systems.

Off the topic but when one sets up Atmos speakers these are the best new scenes to test and feel Atmos:

1) Money Heist season 5 1st episode starting scene
2) Mad Max Fury - Intro & chapter 3
3) Bohemian Rhapsody - Live Aid performance
4) 1917 - many scenes with planes and bombs

There are multiple movies and series, but I use these as reference when I calibrate systems.
Thank you very much for this input. This will help many members to caliberate their systems, at least for the new members.

Thank you so much for detailed reply and illustrative photos. This will help not only me but other forum members also who want to upgrade to Atmos. I see height speakers are not straight facing downwards but angled, I believe it is so to aim at listening position.
Yes, this is the reason I chose to install a bookshelf for the Top front pairs which is not possible with in-ceiling speakers. (I did mention this in my post too). I think even Dolby recommends installing bookshelf speakers or speakers that can be angled towards the MLP for Top front channels.

PS: In the Dolby world, the term "height" speakers (front height and rear height) are used for the speakers that are installed in the front wall above the screen/display or in the rear wall above the rear surround speakers. The front and rear height speakers setup are actually deprecated and Atmos speakers for height effects that are installed in the Ceiling at different distances from the MLP are currently referred as Top Front/Top Middle/Top Rear speakers.

I was considering buying the JBL control 1 to install as Top Front speakers and then bumped into a seemingly OEM copy of it sold by MX at a much lesser price and took a chance by purchasing as the price was impulsive.

It looks exactly similar to JBL but I have no way to tell if it is using the same components inside. It comes with the same sturdy mount that comes with JBL.
Hi,
did you get it as 3000/- per pair or for a single speaker only?

frankly, I have a fear that they will fall on my head while sleeping.
Your fear is totally unnecessary. The very purpose of any standard ceiling mount is to secure the mounted item such a way that it never falls no matter what. The mounts are carefully designed keeping in view the specific weight and dimension of the item being mounted. So rest assured. There is a very good science behind the way the ceiling screws are installed rotated in a particular shape and then secured on a ceiling. One in million chance that any will falls on your head. Go ahead without fear

Yes, I saw the MX, they are a knock-off of the JBL. I did not want to risk it sounding harsh since I did not have the option to hear them before buying.

@OP - I got my JBL from AV shack 6 months ago, they had the best deal at that time.
is av shack delhi cr park genuine seller? i am getting good for denon

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back