What should I buy for budget XXX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simplifi

We have so many audiophiles here. But we don't have a simple thread which says what to buy if your budget is 10k/20k/.. etc. Well that is what we are trying to come up here as I found something similar to western consumers in the link below. Let us do something similar for items available in India - instead of everyone trying to spend too much time trying to find some simple answers.

Please send your suggestions in each price point - I will try to update this post.

Here is something to start:

For 10k:
1. Edifier R1280T :
Powered Speakers. Basic Remote. Got only 2 RCA inputs. NO Bluetooth. No Optical input. 2.0 Bookshelf speakers.

2. Swan M10:
Powered Speakers. No Remote. 2.1 setup. Got only 2 RCA inputs.

For 20k:
1. Edifier R1280DB:
Powered Speakers. Got Remote. Got Bluetooth. Bookshelf speakers.

As I promised here the one page list of consolidated list of entry level speakers / best bang for the buck audio:

https://realsimplifi.blogspot.com/

Tags: What to buy - best speakers under - budget audio

Last edited:
For powered speakers, I’d add the Presonis e4.5. A big step up from the Audioengine A5 I had earlier in both sound quality and reliability. 16.8k on Bajaao.com, typically you can get another 5pc off with a coupon. No Bluetooth or remote but great sound in a small (160sft) room.

We have so many audiophiles here. But we don't have a simple thread which says what to buy if your budget is 10k/20k/.. etc.

(reposted on the correct thread)

Individual preferences, perception, the room, and people are different. And the individual in question his situation, budget, expectations, judgement of VFM and experiences are not constant. And all to frequently a system may work below the level you'd expect any of its components to, simply throwing a speaker, an amp into a room and expecting magic is a recipe for disappointment. Price and availability or the possibility for audition are hardly constant. Somethings work much better than what their price point suggests, others are just overpriced or downright bad. Then there is the possibility of buying used.

There is no "safe" path to a "destination".

In my youth, I was very happy with a sony boom box I spent 23 K (paid in EMI for a year !) 25 years back. I can assure it was not even 0.099% of what I expect from my rig today. Has my budget increased by 1000% hardly (nor have I reached my goal, though I think I have a pretty clear idea of where I am headed).

The journey, and the discovery is fun, but ultimately it is each individual's personal journey.

I spent 0.26L on a highly praised speaker a few years back, it was a complete POS. The learning and the mistakes are part of the journey too :)

I don't think I'd want to follow a list, for one it would be boring (and for all i know will not work for me) and secondly I'd rather have only myself to blame for my mistakes.

What I do value and rather highly at that are the discussions, opinions and general wisdom on the forum. You might get to hear stuff at an FMs place or triangulate from multiple sources.

Note I am not in anyway disparaging the effort, I am merely pointing out there are probably more productive (sonically) and interesting ways to do what you seek

ciao
gr

Last edited:
For 10k: For 20k:

For 10 ~ 20K budget, any of the chinese digital amplifiers like SMSL Q5 Pro, FX Audio D802 and similar amplifiers for 8 ~ 10K on aliexpress which have most digital inputs, USB playback, bluetooth, handy remote + any inexpensive bookshelf should make a good set-up..

@sound_cycle : Did someone compel you to follow this list? You go ahead with your theory of experimenting and wasting money - no one is stopping you. This is for people who don't have the time to experiment - but want to enjoy some good sound in whatever budget it may be. As I said earlier, I am not here to start a flame war. So nay sayers, Please excuse.

Last edited:
Indian audio market is much different from U.S market. Even Canada and US have different pricing structures for brands available. Availability of various brands is also a problem, that adds to the confusion. Prices on Amazon and the likes are unpredictable at best. Some sellers will price it double than what it's actual value is if you buy from a dealer. You can bargain with dealers ,whilst You cannot with Amazon.I do agree such a list should exist but if the prices keep bouncing around all over creation, it would end up being of little help to serious buyer. Then there are issues with warranty, as there is a large grey market thriving, which adds to the pricing difference. Few months ago i got a Crown power amplifier for 34,000 INR in Mumbai, whilst the same amp is being sold in Hyderabad for 25,000. that is a big price difference in percentage.
The US has generous return policies, in India we don't get that. To conclude, the buyer has to do a lot of investigation in the pricing arena to get the best deal, and not blindly rely on a list provided whomever. Check the pricing of JBL LSR305, in the list provided it shows $285 but if you click the link Amazon shows $495.85. Quite helpful right?

For 10 ~ 20K budget, any of the chinese digital amplifiers like SMSL Q5 Pro, FX Audio D802 and similar amplifiers for 8 ~ 10K on aliexpress which have most digital inputs, USB playback, bluetooth, handy remote + any inexpensive bookshelf should make a good set-up..

Thanks for amp suggestion. Can we get some suggestions for passive bookshelf speakers to go with them? What happens is people buy some speakers without knowing all the details of impedance and sensitivity, etc and will be underwhelmed in the end. Hope we can avoid that.

Indian audio market is much different from U.S market. ... Check the pricing of JBL LSR305, in the list provided it shows $285 but if you click the link Amazon shows $495.85. Quite helpful right?

But still we need a list of good buys for each price point. Prices are obviously valid at the time of edit, which people can understand.

Last edited:
Thanks for amp suggestion. Can we get some suggestions for passive bookshelf speakers to go with them? What happens is people buy some speakers without knowing all the details of impedance and sensitivity, etc and will be underwhelmed in the end. Hope we can avoid that.

Most chinese amplifiers are rated at 4 Ohms & sometimes 2 Ohms capability.. At the moment, i have the SMSL Q5 Pro paired with Taga Harmony Platinum S90 SL bookshelf, 6 Ohms rated and they work just fine.. I have also used Klipsch RP 160M with this amplifier sometime back and they were fine too..

They should be capable of powering a FS in a small room too easily..

The most budget bookshelf speakers are rated either at 8/6 Ohms, so there shouldn't be compatibility problem.. 4 Ohms too should be fine..

Some of the budget bookshelf that i recollect for less than 10K, are JBL control one and Taga Harmony 806S BS, and just above 10K mark is Taga Harmony platinum one (12K)..

Hifimart helps to find price information of each brand , but if you need more extensive list, i am sure only our FMs can contribute the model nos and price (dealers/other portals) of each one to this thread.
Because many of our FMs having different setups and bought either through portals/onsite/local dealers.

@elangoas : The fx audio d802, shows connecting phone thru OTG usb cable instead of 3.5mm cable. Does usb connection give any more functionality? (eg., forward a song, etc)

@sound_cycle : Did someone compel you to follow this list? You go ahead with your theory of experimenting and wasting money - no one is stopping you. This is for people who don't have the time to experiment - but want to enjoy some good sound in whatever budget it may be. As I said earlier, I am not here to start a flame war. So nay sayers, Please excuse.

LOL where did you get that I want to start a flame war ? Did you *actually* read my post in its entirety before taking offence. I'll quote it for you, with some emphasis
Note I am not in anyway disparaging the effort, I am merely pointing out there are probably more productive (sonically) and interesting ways to do what you seek

Never mind, as requested I am out of here.

Peace and out

ciao
gr

@elangoas : The fx audio d802, shows connecting phone thru OTG usb cable instead of 3.5mm cable.

No hands-on with FX Audio D802.. But with SMSL Q5 Pro, i have connected it to my Neuxus 6 via USB-OTG and it works pretty well..

Does usb connection give any more functionality? (eg., forward a song, etc)

USB-OTG gives digital out to amplifier from mobile.. A very good handy feature, that we can use it to best.. digital out from a mobile is always better than the 3.5mm output.. The playback controls will remain with the android phone..

USB-OTG gives digital out to amplifier from mobile...

Good to know.. thx

...Note I am not in anyway disparaging the effort...

But that is what you are doing exactly... but telling 'I am not doing..'.
This is the typical of following the rule by text not by spirit example.

This forum software does not allow update to my first post anymore - the moderator also not able to help. So I have to come up with some other way to do this. May be reddit blog is one option (same like the AverageJoeAudiophile link). Let me know if there are any other options. Ideally the first post should hv all the compiled items recommended.

i am looking for soundbar / home theatre setup in the 20K range, but what I observed that suggestions are always like Amps + Speakers, however such professional research is not required for end users. That is why most end users go with Sony or LG or Samsung wherein they get a package of Amp + Speakers along with warranty. In India we have the following issues with buying professional audio equipment: No doubt there are brands like onkyo, yamaha, wharfedale in India, but main issue is pairing an Amp with Speakers and ensuring they last a lifetime. The following things matter to Indians:

1) Reliability of Brand
2) Whole package rather than customer breaking his head over Amps + Speakers.
3) Warranty & Guarantee for the product and easily serviceable in case any issue arises. When you buy Amps + Speakers different you deal with two companies and two warranties.
4) Grey market / buying from unauthorized distributors - Not all shops selling Onkyo / Yamaha /Wharfedale etc are authorised and these brands have to build a good customer base in India, apart from Metro cities, hardly these brands have showrooms or service centres. Considering the bomb cost price of such products and very low or nil after sales support, many customers do shun from these brands no doubt they may have a good quality sound.

The above are points which will affect my decision rather than just getting a great sound quality and then waiting for months or years to resolve if any issue arises.

i am looking for soundbar / home theatre setup in the 20K range, but what I observed that suggestions are always like Amps + Speakers, however such professional research is not required for end users. That is why most end users go with Sony or LG or Samsung wherein they get a package of Amp + Speakers along with warranty. In India we have the following issues with buying professional audio equipment: No doubt there are brands like onkyo, yamaha, wharfedale in India, but main issue is pairing an Amp with Speakers and ensuring they last a lifetime. The following things matter to Indians:
Reasons you get those suggestions is a stereo setup will always give you a better price to performance ratio than a soundbar. 20k Home theater setup is not a possible solution below 20k unless you go for Samsung/LG or low end Sony. Lot of users come back to the forum requesting info as they regret their decision buying without research. One reason auditioning is encouraged is to make sure the pairing is to the liking of the end user, as recommendations are not absolute. Most equipment will last for at least a few years if taken care of properly and making sure the electrical wiring in the house is also supplying power without spikes and outages, hence always use some kind of a stabilizer if problems in your are persists, or get a UPS or Inverter.
1) Reliability of Brand
2) Whole package rather than customer breaking his head over Amps + Speakers.
3) Warranty & Guarantee for the product and easily serviceable in case any issue arises. When you buy Amps + Speakers different you deal with two companies and two warranties.
4) Grey market / buying from unauthorized distributors - Not all shops selling Onkyo / Yamaha /Wharfedale etc are authorised and these brands have to build a good customer base in India, apart from Metro cities, hardly these brands have showrooms or service centres. Considering the bomb cost price of such products and very low or nil after sales support, many customers do shun from these brands no doubt they may have a good quality sound.

The above are points which will affect my decision rather than just getting a great sound quality and then waiting for months or years to resolve if any issue arises.
Reliability also depends how your own home power supply behaves.

Whole packages are also available from reputed hifi brands, but if they are uncommon in local shops, one has to make an effort to go out and source it for the right price. You will be surprised how a little effort can go a long way to eventually get the system you really like listening to. Impulse buyer's or people without patience end up regretting it or not using it at all.
I agree with the warranty and servicing point, but to say Samsung/LG/Sony are better is misleading. They too have their own problems of availability of parts, or service center depending on where you live. There is a reason Reliance and likes are offering extended warranties.
One cool thing about being on this forum is you also get to know a bit about local manufacturers like Norge, Lyrita tube amplifiers and others where you can buy with confidence that the gear you buy will be reliable and get serviced even after 10-15 years of usage. People using these products are extremely happy with their purchase.
If you care about sound quality and the money you are about to spend, you have to do some research on forums as these, and also as most forum members will urge you to go out and audition it for yourself, which you owe it to your hard earned money. Magazine articles can also be influenced by companies advertising in their magazines,hence always take it with a pinch of salt.
Lastly India is still not a mature market for HI Fi products, which makes it a difficult task for most buyers in the market, especially if the buyer is from a rural area. One needs to be realistic about it and find what fit's them best.

We understand the logic behind both philosophies. Its like Microsoft vs Linux. Let's not waste time pushing one idea over the other. Some dont want to deal with linux complexity - its that simple. Sound bar - For 21k, i saw polk magnify mini in the audio show. If u want stereo setup, buy pair of active speakers. Some do hv optical inputs with dolby support. Check my first post.

We understand the logic behind both philosophies. Its like Microsoft vs Linux. Let's not waste time debating it. Sound bar - For 21k, i saw polk magnify mini in the audio show. If u want stereo setup, buy pair of active speakers. Some do hv optical inputs with dolby support. Check my first post.
Would you spend 21k without hearing it?

Let's not take it personal. He needs some suggestions for 20k budget. If u hv some suggestions, please give. Otherwise leave it.

Let's not take it personal. He needs some suggestions for 20k budget. If u hv some suggestions, please give. Otherwise leave it.
Audio is a very personal thing. Which is why we need to take advice from forum members. Forum as this is for debates and exchanges of ideas. If a list like you posted above is all one needs, why come to a forum? Plenty of recommendations available on Indian websites that offer lists like you posted above. Recommendations based on prices are also available on NDTV website. Look up gadget guru. But reality strikes after you realise that you paid too much and ended up with a crappy system. I don't take forum members criticism personally, because it's their experience that they opine. One can always discard them and make a decision for themselves. No one's holding a gun to their heads.

Indian audio market is much different from U.S market. Even Canada and US have different pricing structures for brands available. Availability of various brands is also a problem, that adds to the confusion. Prices on Amazon and the likes are unpredictable at best. Some sellers will price it double than what it's actual value is if you buy from a dealer. You can bargain with dealers ,whilst You cannot with Amazon.I do agree such a list should exist but if the prices keep bouncing around all over creation, it would end up being of little help to serious buyer. Then there are issues with warranty, as there is a large grey market thriving, which adds to the pricing difference. Few months ago i got a Crown power amplifier for 34,000 INR in Mumbai, whilst the same amp is being sold in Hyderabad for 25,000. that is a big price difference in percentage.
The US has generous return policies, in India we don't get that. To conclude, the buyer has to do a lot of investigation in the pricing arena to get the best deal, and not blindly rely on a list provided whomever. Check the pricing of JBL LSR305, in the list provided it shows $285 but if you click the link Amazon shows $495.85. Quite helpful right?

You have pretty much summed up all the valid reasons and prevailing situations but op is not interested nor cares for this. His requirement is that of building a database where at specific price point what is best/available locally. Yes, the pricing will fluctuate and that also he wants to be able to correct/edit as required but i don't think his requirements on both fronts are going to be possible currently in this forum. Though his intentions are noteworthy and good, I think he will get frustrated and leave after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back