What speaker /amp to buy online from USA

rpanand25

I intend to get pair of bookshelf and possibly an amp from USA as a family member would be bringing it after purchasing on line there.

As regards stereo amp like Marantz etc, I found that USA rates, particularly in Amazon, are as much or more than in India with the absence of warranty. But AV receivers are another game with onkyo,Yamaha etc far cheaper ($200-300)including conversion to 220v/adding step down transformer. But knowing the penchant for stereo amps(over AV receivers for music)in our group I thought I would take the advice if good stereo Amps are available at that price point.

First I would like to focus on speakers around $350. My reference price line is Amazon but FMs could suggest equally good online stores as it would be shipped to Atlanta.

I found the following bookshelf within my budget . I am looking for neutral kind of speaker with well rounded mids. A little bit of sparkle would do but nothing bright. The speaker which provides maximum tight/deep bass extension would be preferred. Detailing and sound stage should be decent at this price point. I have indicated cost per pair although some are quoted per piece online for new pieces. Just some indicative models

1. BIC America Dv62sSi ------- $ 105
2.BIC America 350w(175 rms) ------- 202
3. Wharefdale 10.1 -------- 299
4. Wharefdale 10.2 --------- 379
5.Definitive technologySM45 -------- 400
6.Cambridge audio SX 60 -------- 349
7. MA BX1 -------- 329
8. Fluance XL7S --------- 179
9. Infinity primus 2 way --------- 172
(6.5 inch mid woofer)

I have not preferred Klipsch or polk audio as they are supposed to be bright. Of those listed above some may be bright and could be eliminated based on FMs advice as there is no way I can listen to some of them. But popular ones I can try to audition in Delhi once I shortlist some.

Going by reviews I think Both BICs,Wharf 10.2,Infinity primus,DEf Tech SM 45 would suit.

I was also looking at powered Audioengine A5+($399) as it would save the bother of looking for an amplifier.

The maximum spare weight would be 15-17 kg including amp if any purchased there. I have about a month time to decide and place order.
I would like FMs advice on these and any other. I will move to amp once I decide on speaker and availability of spare capacity. I think these speakers would not exceed 11-12 kg max per pair.

A thought occurred to me Would these be better than Andrew Jones Pioneer floor stander(including bass extension) available at Rs 20000/ in India. In that case I can focus on stereo amplifier/better AV receiver.

Would Appreciate views/comments.

Last edited:
This site is much better than amazon.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

And refurbished is fine.. I have bought a lot of refurbished items and never had a problem.

My vote would be to get a 220v compatible avr or amp. Speakers are quite bulky to carry. If you are looking for quality, NAD d3020 could be an option. Or marantz slimline series. Not sure about their 220v compatibility though. I have the nr1403

This site is much better than amazon.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

And refurbished is fine.. I have bought a lot of refurbished items and never had a problem.

My vote would be to get a 220v compatible avr or amp. Speakers are quite bulky to carry. If you are looking for quality, NAD d3020 could be an option. Or marantz slimline series. Not sure about their 220v compatibility though. I have the nr1403

Does this Accessories4less ship items to India? Is it possible to import factory refurbished electronic items to India?

I would recomend an amp/pre amp etc that has a 230 v switch.
If you want to get more details - send me a PM, I have a bunch of stuff and have seen a lot more in playing with these.
Anyway - power amps, carver tfm 42, alesis RA500, Crown ce 1000 etc come to mind.
Grant fidelity Tube dac 11.
Preamp - rotel rsp 1068.
A power amp required like 500-800 watts of power. Makes a lot of sense to keep that guy a 230 unit. Pre, dac, CD player etc etc are 10-50 watts. Those can ve run off a step up trafo.

Anyway the underlying logic is a switchable 230v will work a lot better for you.

Cool.
Srinath.

Does this Accessories4less ship items to India? Is it possible to import factory refurbished electronic items to India?

I think accessories4less only ships to usa.
But other sites or services might ship Intl.

Do check out the Emotiva range of audio products at www.emotiva.com

I checked from Emotiva. XPA200 (power amp)seemed attractive but beyond budget as I have to buy pre amp additionally with matching considerations. Further one FM commented that sound was dry and perhaps clinical. The lower integrated model FUSION seems well priced but output is 50wpc. While this may suffice I donot know about its sound signature. They donot seem to have any other integrated within say$400 with higher output for headroom consideration.

Though I received few more feedback any more comments/suggestions?

I checked from Emotiva. XPA200 (power amp)seemed attractive but beyond budget as I have to buy pre amp additionally with matching considerations. Further one FM commented that sound was dry and perhaps clinical. The lower integrated model FUSION seems well priced but output is 50wpc. While this may suffice I donot know about its sound signature. They donot seem to have any other integrated within say$400 with higher output for headroom consideration.

Though I received few more feedback any more comments/suggestions?

I think this amp is a rebranded Sherbourne amp. It is available cheaper on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sherbourn-PA2...18975876&sr=8-1&keywords=sherbourn+amplifiers

Have you looked at NAD D3020? I know wattage is low, but most reviews I have read have been rave reviews. You also get a DAC for free.

while there have been responses to the above thread i have some doubts as to how to bring bookshelf speakers if two trolley bags/items are allowed as check in and how to package the speakers.

The trolley INNER size is 25*17*9 inches with one or two inches can be squeezed being soft luggage. Is it better to bring a bookshelf each (about 15*12*8 max, maybe less) in a trolley or pack both bookshelf as a separate baggage(i.e not in trolley but in a box )

(i) The second option would ensure i retain thermocole packing etc of the company. In that case should i keep the original outer box of the speaker or change the box but keep the inside packing, to avoid undue attention of the customs? or any other method to show it as used although it will be almost a new set.

(ii)If i opt for the first option carrying it inside the trolley then i cannot perhaps keep the original thermocole etc packing due to lack of space and the speakers may perhaps be bubble wrapped and packed with clothes.

(iii)Another question is if i carry it as check in with either of the above options then will it be safe as there will be one changeover of planes and luggage handling.
(iii) Being bookshelf perhaps i may be able to keep both of them in the same trolley with some adjustment but i feel carrying each in one trolley would help in better packaging due to more space.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back