What to buy ? Confused

sushantsah

Hi Forum friends
in a budget of 120k to 150k, here is what i have got quotes...

Please suggest....if anything better /VFM

Option 1
Tannoy Eclipse 3 Series 5 speakers 72000
Sonodyne Roarr 108 1 subwhoof 18900
DENON AVR-X1200W (any best rates ???? recent buy forum member)

Options 2
QACOUSTIC 3000i 5.1 Home Theater Package (99000)
DENON AVR-X1200W (any best rates ???? recent buy forum member)

Also they are asking the following extra money, which i feel is onhigher side
1.) Wall mount price @ 3200/- each pc.
2.) Wiring and Accessories approximate Rs.5,000/-
3.) Installation charges 10% of product value. (my case 15000)
installation outside delhi at dehradun

thanks

Why do you want someone to install? It's not too difficult to do it yourself. Plus it's a lot of fun once it's done.

Hi Sushant,

Have you auditioned other brands of speakers and AVR? With the budget you have, you can get a nice decent system.

Don't rush...carry your music and audition systems and decide...

Of the above , I would go for the Q Acoustics package. Have heard em. very nice.

Also they are asking the following extra money, which i feel is onhigher side
1.) Wall mount price @ 3200/- each pc.
2.) Wiring and Accessories approximate Rs.5,000/-
3.) Installation charges 10% of product value. (my case 15000)
installation outside delhi at dehradun

thanks

20K + for stuff that you should be doing on your own, ouch.
Pocket the difference or spend on extra elements like DAC, BD player, etc.
Cheers,
Raghu

Lots and lots of other options in your range.
1) Dali Zensor series speakers + Marantz
2) Usher + Marantz/Yamaha
3) KEFQ series speakers + Denon
4) Monitor Audio + Yamaha

Listen and listen and listen some more before you write the check, that is the most important thing you will do when you buy a system.

Why not try the Elac debut series? F5 towers, B5 bookshelves, C5 center and S10 sub. After discount it should be somewhere between 1.2 to 1.25 lakhs. Denon X1200 is readily available for 42k.

However, if you think the above combo will go beyond your set budget for the equipment then you can consider the B6 bookshelves instead of F5 towers as fronts. That should reduce the cost by 20k atleast.

Happy hunting

If it is exclusively for movies, i would suggest you to consider spending more on AVR and less on speakers...

An AVR like Marantz SR 7010 / Denon X 4000 / Pioneer LX series would make a significant difference to your movie watching experience than the pricier speakers can do...

All these AVR's have capable Digital Room Correction feature which will help the acoustic shortcomings in your room..

An AVR like Marantz SR 7010 / Denon X 4000 / Pioneer LX series would make a significant difference to your movie watching experience than the pricier speakers can do...

To add-on Elango's idea, if you manage to get the premium electronics (since your budget permits the amount), you can go through used route for LCR or all the speakers.

From a budgeting POV, a few points to keep in perspective:

1. If you were to go for BS instead of FS, then you would have factor for cost of stands as well. DIY stands would cost about Rs.4000/- per pair. There are posts about them as well.

2. Finolex cables - 4 sq mm (90M bundle) should cost you about Rs.2500. There are post about this cable in the forum. If your cabling distance is not going to all the way through 18 feet, then you can even opt for 2.5 sq mm (90M bundle). This would have to be decided by the speaker's impedance. You can get a local eletrician to fix up the conduits and wire.

3. Terminations - Basic banana plugs would cost you approximately Rs.40 per piece. You would need 4 per speaker (if you were to use terminals on both the ends. So, base cost would be Rs.40 X 4 X 5 = Rs.800 at minimum. You can seek suggestion on good terminals.

These are smaller bits which can eat anywhere between 10K-20K in your budget.

Take your time and think through. Are you really a movie buff who needs to experience the thrill of surround sound every week (even after the initial thrill tapers down)? Or would you prefer to watch movies occasionally (may be once or twice a month) but prefer to listen to music as well. I too had this crush on HT thingie until I figured out movies interested me lesser than music.

I am not trying to talk you out of HT setup. The point is if you figure out your needs then it will help you spend wisely. For example, instead of buying the surround and atmos speakers, you can spend them on cables, interconnects, DACs etc. If you are keen about atmos, then you might have to scale down on AVR segment to fulfil the speaker's cost.

More than anything else, if there are FMs near your place, please try to audition their setup. That experience would be more realistic than what you get in showroom. Please try to watch movies in a stereo/LCR setup as well. Having patience is very important. Impulsive purchase would lead to compromises.

To add-on Elango's idea, if you manage to get the premium electronics (since your budget permits the amount), you can go through used route for LCR or all the speakers.

- What is LCR ?

1. If you were to go for BS instead of FS, then you would have factor for cost of stands as well. DIY stands would cost about Rs.4000/- per pair. There are posts about them as well.
- BS with 8000 stand, are BS good in comparision to equal money towers ?

2. Finolex cables - 4 sq mm (90M bundle) should cost you about Rs.2500. There are post about this cable in the forum. If your cabling distance is not going to all the way through 18 feet, then you can even opt for 2.5 sq mm (90M bundle). This would have to be decided by the speaker's impedance. You can get a local eletrician to fix up the conduits and wire.

- distance and relation of 4mm and 2.5 mm ??
- ok, any electrical setup photo on internet for 5.1

3. Terminations - Basic banana plugs would cost you approximately Rs.40 per piece. You would need 4 per speaker (if you were to use terminals on both the ends. So, base cost would be Rs.40 X 4 X 5 = Rs.800 at minimum. You can seek suggestion on good terminals.

Take your time and think through. Are you really a movie buff who needs to experience the thrill of surround sound every week (even after the initial thrill tapers down)?
- watch movies a lot, usually 5 to 7/week, but usually internet download 1 to 1.5 gb ones (not 4 to 10 gb)

I am not trying to talk you out of HT setup. The point is if you figure out your needs then it will help you spend wisely. For example, instead of buying the surround and atmos speakers, you can spend them on cables, interconnects, DACs etc.
- What is DAC

Please try to watch movies in a stereo/LCR setup as well.
- ok, any benefit of this testing, sorry layman i am....

LCR - Left, Center & Right. I am basically requesting you to audition without surround speakers. If that experience satisfies your needs. If that is the case, they you can drop the surrounds for now and spend the money on rest of the setup.

BS vs FS - IMHO since your requirement is more for movies BS + sub should give more VFM than FS as FS might not deliver chest thumping bass for the budgets that you have.

Relation between distance and thickness of wire: Crude generalization is longer the cable runs, thicker the better (FMs - please correct me on this).

DAC - Digital Analog Converter. This is a device primarily for stereo listening (getting optical/co-ax out of CD player and plug into DAC's input). You can stream music from PC/media players/ET. This would not be needed if you are going for a receiver like SR5010 or LX59.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back