What AV Receiver to buy ?

Hi,

Thanks a lot everyone for earlier replies.

I do have a set of 5 JVC speakers (model: SP THS11) which are old though. It came along with my DVD home theater long back.

I checked the Power of those speakers and it were 33W/40W at 4/6Ohms.

would you advise me to temporarily connect them with HTR 3067.

HTR 3067 is rated at 6 ohms.. So if your speakers are 6 ohms, then you can safely re-use it..

Here is you speaker specification..

(SP-THS11F)Type: 1-Way Bass-Reflex Type (Magnetically-shielded Type)Speaker: 8.0 cm cone M 1Power Handling Capacity: 33 WImpedance: 6 CFrequency Range: 90 Hz to 20 000 HzSound Pressure Level: 84 dB/WmDimensions (W M H M D):92 mm M 101 mm M 95 mmMass: 0.58 kg each

Center speaker (SP-THS11C)Type: 1-Way Bass-Reflex Type (Magnetically-shielded Type)Speaker: 8.0 cm cone M 1Power Handling Capacity: 33 WImpedance: 6 CFrequency Range: 90 Hz to 20 000 HzSound Pressure Level: 85 dB/WmDimensions (W M H M D):92 mm M 101 mm M 95 mmMass: 0.65 kg

Surround speakers (SP-THS11S)Type: 1-Way Bass-Reflex TypeSpeaker: 8.0 cm cone M 1Power Handling Capacity: 33 WImpedance: 6 CFrequency Range: 90 Hz to 20 000 HzSound Pressure Level: 82 dB/WmDimensions (W M H M D):92 mm M 101 mm M 95 mmMass: 0.56 kg each

If i can use them for next 2 to 3 months i will buy woofers now and if not then i have to buy the speakers now.

Yes.. You can think abt adding a subwoofer now than getting a 5.0 package..

Since the watts are low, i have stick to low volumes from my HTR right ?

Will connecting those speakers harm the Receiver even if i listen at low volume say like 30% to 50% of volume range?

Don't think so..It should do fine.. Even the Yamaha YHT series HTIB speakers have same efficiency.. So it should work..

One More query as well.

The 2 ch driven and 1 ch driven parameters.

How to chose my speakers?

Either based on 70W when 2ch or 100 W 1ch drive.

In other words, do i have to stick to min of 70W speakers or 100W speakers.

What will be my overall receiver output. 70W or 100W technically.

Heard 2ch drive is not a real world parameter to verify either.

So pls advise. what is my receiver capacity and how much min wattage to chose the speakers.

One More query as well.

The 2 ch driven and 1 ch driven parameters.

Either based on 70W when 2ch or 100 W 1ch drive.

In other words, do i have to stick to min of 70W speakers or 100W speakers.

What will be my overall receiver output. 70W or 100W technically.

Heard 2ch drive is not a real world parameter to verify either.

So pls advise. what is my receiver capacity and how much min wattage to chose the speakers.
Hi,

I would say neither. Look at the impedance supported and go through the manual. In the manual in the specs you should see 20-20k specs. That is the one you should refer to.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Per the manual, it is 85W+85W in 2 channel driven from 20hz - 20Khz..

Look at the sensitivity of the speaker..In your case,
Sound Pressure Level: 84 dB/Wm
Required SPL for a speaker from your listening position is 75 dB.. Assuming you would sit within 10feet from your speakers, it should still do fine..

How big or small is your room?

If your speaker is more efficient, say bet 87 ~ 90 dB/Wm, then you will need very less power from AVR..

If you add a good sub for 25K, it will take the load off the speakers.. Use the highest crossover setting for all your (present) speakers when you get the sub..

Per the manual, it is 85W+85W in 2 channel driven from 20hz - 20Khz..

Look at the sensitivity of the speaker..In your case, Required SPL for a speaker from your listening position is 75 dB.. Assuming you would sit within 10feet from your speakers, it should still do fine..

How big or small is your room?

12x16 hall size.
12x10 (80%) or 12x12 (20%) will be listening size.

If your speaker is more efficient, say bet 87 ~ 90 dB/Wm, then you will need very less power from AVR..

If you add a good sub for 25K, it will take the load off the speakers.. Use the highest crossover setting for all your (present) speakers when you get the sub..

Heard in one of my colleague Polk Audio PSW110 and was impressed.
Shall i place my bid on that woofer or you have any other suggestions :)

Pls guide me if am wrong.

12x16 hall size. 12x10 (80%) or 12x12 (20%) will be listening size.

Why difference of 2 feet :)..Also share a room layout w.r.t speaker positioning..

Heard in one of my colleague Polk Audio PSW110 and was impressed. Shall i place my bid on that woofer or you have any other suggestions :)

If you like Polk, choose one from the same series (or) BIC America & Taga are options below 25K..

So will it work fine even in high volumes ?
Is that what you meant ?

Though i don't know the exact SPL required, but approx 75 ~ 80 dB SPL is required from the 5.0 speakers.. Which is capable with your speakers..

You will need good volume of bass from your active subwoofer, but not much from satellite speaker..

I dont have a layout handy. i will prepare something for your reference and share by noon.

The Receiver is on the way and may reach tomorrow or wednesday (max).

i am in chennai now. i will take off from work and go home the next day it reaches my hometown in thanjavur.

how can we confirm the product is genuine ?

The seller said he placed the warranty card signed from his end and i have to check with yamaha warranty center for any further queries.

What are the first things to do once i receive the receiver :)

And HDCP2.2 is not available in HTR 3067.

Will that be any problem or setback ?

I use PS4 for gaming and now have huge collection of downloaded bluray movies and remux content. Playing either via PS4 or Laptop.

I have downloaded lots of FLAC files now for the receiver and any specific way it has to be loaded in usb for direct play ?

I dont have a layout handy. i will prepare something for your reference and share by noon.

The Receiver is on the way and may reach tomorrow or wednesday (max).

i am in chennai now. i will take off from work and go home the next day it reaches my hometown in thanjavur.

how can we confirm the product is genuine ?

The seller said he placed the warranty card signed from his end and i have to check with yamaha warranty center for any further queries.

What are the first things to do once i receive the receiver :)
As far Genuinity aspect look for si no on the backside of the AVR and compare with box and bills.IMO

[emoji41]

And HDCP2.2 is not available in HTR 3067.

Will that be any problem or setback ?

I use PS4 for gaming and now have huge collection of downloaded bluray movies and remux content. Playing either via PS4 or Laptop.

I have downloaded lots of FLAC files now for the receiver and any specific way it has to be loaded in usb for direct play ?
HDCP 2.2 is a copy protect license like Cinavia which is really going to be future proof as they are claiming only for 4k contents in that case your TV/Projector also falls on that category.
If you dont have 4K tv or 4K Bluray player as of now forget about those things and enjoy your Receiver.
Those are gimmicks i would say IMO.
Let us see FM view on this HDCP 2.2 for your case
All the best
Happy listening ,[emoji106]

[emoji41]

Apart from original 4k content, hdcp is also required for streaming Amazon prime HD video, probably Netflix also. For downloaded content, forget it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Apart from original 4k content, hdcp is also required for streaming Amazon prime HD video, probably Netflix also. For downloaded content, forget it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
If i recollect that what i understood from one link is,
we need to have 4K tv aswell that does not help if we are running hdcp 2.2 compatible receiver and we need 4K tv (with hdcp 2.2 )also or is it support via downgrading thru AVR for normal 1080p (Full Hd)TV? -For Amazon prime HD VIDEO

[emoji41]

If i recollect that what i understood from one link is,
we need to have 4K tv aswell that does not help if we are running hdcp 2.2 compatible receiver and we need 4K tv (with hdcp 2.2 )also or is it support via downgrading thru AVR for normal 1080p (Full Hd)TV? -For Amazon prime HD VIDEO

[emoji41]

I tried amazon prime video, it said that video will play in SD (not even HD) as your equipment is not HDCP compliant.

I tried amazon prime video, it said that video will play in SD (not even HD) as your equipment is not HDCP compliant.
I never tried and m not into it.
So it means we need to confirm with 4k chain of components onl. including 4k tv with hdcp 2.2(All 4k Tv is not hdcp 2.2 version imo)
Gud info

[emoji41]

Last edited:
How to check the serial numbers for originality ?

Since am not available to verify in person please guide me to help my mom and dad to verify on my behalf.

Exactly what has to be done on delivery ?

I am attaching the layout :)

7 feet above ground is way beyond ear level.. The fronts left, center, right is best placed at your ear height (seating position)..

Surrounds can be placed at ear height (or) above slightly above ear level depending on preferences..

Since you have HTIB satellites, best to match all of them at ear level..

Also you can place surrounds towards the corners of your room (behind your listening position) facing your listening position, which is almost center of the room..

How to check the serial numbers for originality ?

Since am not available to verify in person please guide me to help my mom and dad to verify on my behalf.

Exactly what has to be done on delivery ?
http://firmware.denon.eu/serial.php

Above link shows for Denon.Similar way it is suppose to be available with AVR and Carton Box .Same number should be mentioned in the bill aswell
2e0f8bb9568cf0f4ac0e7455a4dccce8.jpg

[emoji41]

Guys,

Sorry couldn't post anything after Nov.

I cancelled the Yamaha HTR3067 & Polk PSW110. The cancellation was very tedious process and lot of issues happened in the background. So unable to post anything related to the Setup. A week before only i got my refund.

I bought Denon X1400H along with Taga SW10 Subwoofer.

Thanks a lot to my sound guru @elangoas for all the guidance he gave me throughout the discussion online and offline. It widened my Knowledge on Sound Systems.

Regarding the performance, I would say it sounds the best even with my old speakers. Was mesmerized with the way my old low power speakers perform with this receiver along with my SW10 beast. Enjoying every detail and very much excited to upgrade the speakers in near future.

The speaker upgrade may happen anytime soon and will seek all your guidance as well during Feb last or March 1st Week.

Overall, a very happy purchase and every one of my friends are going WOW on the output.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Thanks a lot !!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back