What will I lose/gain? - Replacing Floor standers with Bookshelves

From your original question

Pros of FS
Till about 60 Hz you can get better performance from the FS versus the BS + subs
Integrating subs to speakers esp. for music is not always easy
You are replacing effectively two bass units(in the FS) with 1 sub
You can play in pure mode, so the AVR is interfering less with the reproduction
BS need stands

Cons of FS
Space
Subs will go much lower
Placement options are lesser

At the end of the day it depends a lot on the actual speakers and the subs rather than a generic answer

Yes, sudden rise in costs of almost many products. And this is not a marginal increase it is a step rise.
Concept 20's where available for 37k but they also have gone up.

@sl4y3r I am from Andheri east close by, you can come over. Have few dealers in touch can get you some deal.
Will try getting LX2's at home so you can judge the sound difference and take a call.

PMing you my number.

Guys, please consider posting a video of comparing both speakers. Only if it is possible.

I know one cannot judge speakers through a video. But, it will be nice to see a setup singing, you know.

Thanks. Have a good time :)

Not sure if this is going to help in anyway , placed on table and not enough distance from back plus a mobile recording. Toyed with the idea of uploading recordings , but was not too happy with actual sound vs recorded sound results and stopped doing it eventually :)

Thanks for your reply. In your earlier post you said the Qx2 >3020i's I assume you have heard both? I suppose the QX2 have a considerably better low end due to the larger driver..?
Qx2 has very good low end and excellent center image performance. Even though i have a denon 5.1 receiver i mostly like watching my tv/Tata sky using norge1000 2 channel stereo amp. The Qx2 speakers come to life with that combo. I use blue jeans lc-1 cable to connect tata sky and norge. Previously i used mx rca cable. The difference in sound quality between MX and Blue jeans can be easily heard. Blue jeans sound excellent. I use the same to connect my subwoofer also.

Dear FMs, below is my setup (please ignore the mess, house shifting WIP).

The FS sound absolutely hollow the way they positioned. The other problem is my AVR does not allow me to set individual channel crossovers. When these FS were placed where the TV is (before the TV and unit were moved) and set to large they packed a punch, now, in the below position when set to large the bass is absolutely gone and when set to small they sound totally hollow. What's the best option for me? Replace the FS with BS (3020i or Mission QX2) or keep the FS but get a smaller (less wide) TV unit and place the FS on either side of the TV, almost touching the wall?

Attachments

• IMG-20211112-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20211112-WA0003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 40
Dear FMs, below is my setup (please ignore the mess, house shifting WIP).

The FS sound absolutely hollow the way they positioned. The other problem is my AVR does not allow me to set individual channel crossovers. When these FS were placed where the TV is (before the TV and unit were moved) and set to large they packed a punch, now, in the below position when set to large the bass is absolutely gone and when set to small they sound totally hollow. What's the best option for me? Replace the FS with BS (3020i or Mission QX2) or keep the FS but get a smaller (less wide) TV unit and place the FS on either side of the TV, almost touching the wall?
Hi,
Before buying anything new, can you try moving the speakers like in attached pic and see how they sound as compared to how they are now.
Also, try setting AVR to small for all speakers.

As for points mentioned in original question:
1. An 18" L room should be perfect for your Polks.
Ya, a drop in sensitivity will tax your AVR for this room.
I have auditioned the 3020is in a similar sized room with a basic Marantz and they did sound okay. But again, why venture when there might be ways to make what you have work for this room.

2. Besides all you say, it is better to set your polks inside the room before you try anything with BS, considering that door. (Pls try layout in attachment, with L-Rs placed inside the room, and TV and centre shifted slightly more towards the door. Don't think you need to downgrade your TV acreage)

Attachments

• slayer.jpg
    slayer.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 30
Unable to see a sub. Do you have one ?
If so, I suggest adjusting the settings for the sub.

I dont see a reason for changing speakers. Need to adjust position and settings until you get a good sound.

Hi,
Before buying anything new, can you try moving the speakers like in attached pic and see how they sound as compared to how they are now.
Also, try setting AVR to small for all speakers.

As for points mentioned in original question:
1. An 18" L room should be perfect for your Polks.
Ya, a drop in sensitivity will tax your AVR for this room.
I have auditioned the 3020is in a similar sized room with a basic Marantz and they did sound okay. But again, why venture when there might be ways to make what you have work for this room.

2. Besides all you say, it is better to set your polks inside the room before you try anything with BS, considering that door. (Pls try layout in attachment, with L-Rs placed inside the room, and TV and centre shifted slightly more towards the door. Don't think you need to downgrade your TV acreage)
Thanks for your reply. The AVR is set to small. Not sure how you are recommending I position the speakers.. the pic is as-is. I dont see any other way to do it :(

Unable to see a sub. Do you have one ?
If so, I suggest adjusting the settings for the sub.

I dont see a reason for changing speakers. Need to adjust position and settings until you get a good sound.
Sorry I should have mentioned, the sub (SVS sb1000) has got the white cloth over it (below the tv)

My pain is, if the sub is doing all the work and the FS are not giving any mid range at all (owing to the placement) what's the use of them taking so much space?! :(

Have you tried moving the speakers back as far as possible closer to the front wall and a bit away from the side walls ? I feel it might improve a bit.

Have you tried moving the speakers back as far as possible closer to the front wall ? I feel it might improve a bit.
Yes, they were both in the position where the TV is (before I setup the TV) and they sounded great, sadly I cannot do that now due to the TV unit and door obstruction. That's the whole debacle as of now.

Try moving them a feet away from the side wall and firing straight into the room without toe in incase you have not already tried it. Sometimes, even small changes in placement can improve the sound.

Last edited:
Try moving them a feet away from the side wall and firing straight into the room without toe in incase you have not already tried it. Sometimes, even small changes in placement can improve the sound.
Have not tried this. Thanks will try and report back.

Sorry I should have mentioned, the sub (SVS sb1000) has got the white cloth over it (below the tv)

My pain is, if the sub is doing all the work and the FS are not giving any mid range at all (owing to the placement) what's the use of them taking so much space?! :(

That I agree.

Just my personal view - in 5.1 setup with AVR, FS are not required. BS are fine.

So if space is the issue, switch to BS.
Get ones that are designed to be wall mounted - say Polk RTi A1 or QA 3020i.

Thanks for your reply. The AVR is set to small. Not sure how you are recommending I position the speakers.. the pic is as-is. I dont see any other way to do it :(
I meant pulling the speakers into the room to the nearest tile intersection point, which seems doable from the pic.
Only, the doorside speaker will be kind of on the way. But manageable.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back