What would artists and music creators listen to music on?

thevortex

I have always wondered - what sort of music setup would these geniuses have at their private home? What are their thoughts about using the popular home theatre setups such as Onkyo, Denon, Marantz etc? What are their thoughts on using exotic pre and power amplifier combinations along with huge multi driver speakers?

What are their opinions regarding using high sensitivity horn loaded speakers with tube amplifiers?

What are their thoughts about using pro-audio circle studio monitors to get the job done in a home scenario?

I wish we could get some insight into this from at least one person from the artist fraternity.

I have always wondered - what sort of music setup would these geniuses have at their private home? What are their thoughts about using the popular home theatre setups such as Onkyo, Denon, Marantz etc? What are their thoughts on using exotic pre and power amplifier combinations along with huge multi driver speakers?

What are their opinions regarding using high sensitivity horn loaded speakers with tube amplifiers?

What are their thoughts about using pro-audio circle studio monitors to get the job done in a home scenario?

I wish we could get some insight into this from at least one person from the artist fraternity.

I also had the same amusement :)

I don't know about the very rich and famous, but I have seen some well known artists having Sony music systems at their homes eventhough they can easily afford some good HiFi setup.

Even I wondered about the same.

I think If the guy is rich and famous, he doesnot have time to work on the system and tweak it time again.

If the guy has time then I am sure he does not have money to listen to it.

Most times one of the two is true.

HI end Audio is for people who love audio not for the people who have money.

It needs lots of passion lots of time and lots of money too. THese all things need to come together to have a good system.

Lots of times I have see just for the sake of building it they build it but dont have time or passion to enjoy it.

A R Rehman's state-of-the-art recording studio has the following equipments:

A.M.Studio | AR Rahman's New studio | A.R.RAHMAN Online BETA 4.0

Maybe, they have an integrated high-end setup made of flesh and blood playing all time in them!:)

Most Music Directors from the past hardly had any high end equipments because they created music by their own calibre but now its all machine that does the job ....you dont require the Piano and Violin to make Music but a Computer. Softwares have taken places of Musicians....its too mechanical and synthetic....:rolleyes:

correct
most of them i suppose use studio monitors and hi end headphone rigs
(my cousins frinds in london some semi pro musicians use the above)
i have no idea what the big guys use

when they want the live feel they sing themselves!

Bumping up a somewhat old thread...

Does anybody know of any performing artste? If so what do they use when it comes to their own home music usage?

Venkat - I know you were mentioning a famous Carnatic (Bhajan) musician who is your friend. Do you know what he uses when he wants to listen to music at home? On the same lines does anybody else know what any of these artistes use for home audio reproduction?

Well, Norge does list RD Burman, Mohd Rafi, Lata Mangeshkar as one of their clients..
Lata Mangeshkar listens to 'Tannoy' speakers. By the way. 'Tannoy' also has the highest market share in studio monitors worldwide.

EDit: Should add that Asha Bhonsle has 'Tannoy' speakers too. So does the 'Queen of England'.

Last edited:
Lata Mangeshkar listens to 'Tannoy' speakers. By the way. 'Tannoy' also has the highest market share in studio monitors worldwide.

Does anyone know what sort of amplification she listens to?

I have the fleeting feeling that these artistes may not really care so much about audio reproduction as us lot! :)

Most Music Directors from the past hardly had any high end equipments because they created music by their own calibre but now its all machine that does the job ....you dont require the Piano and Violin to make Music but a Computer. Softwares have taken places of Musicians....its too mechanical and synthetic....:rolleyes:

No matter what software or synthesizer, a composer has to come up with the music , this modern day expectations have changed hence the music making process also has changed.

It does not mean that modern composers don't use real instruments for composing and recording if they have a technically state of the art setup.

What you said about past music directors may be true in India where they just bothered about making good tunes and forgot about the remaining part of music, but in western countries composers concentrated equally on recording, equipments and the tune(they always wanted to use and try new technology no matter software of hardware).

I know there is a lot of talk specially about Rahman making music using software(like software writes its own music) which is not true, in fact he records using a lot of live instruments but he does use technology in mastering and changing whatever he wanted in a particular composition.

IMO Illayaraja was the first composer in India who started to record songs with good quality and giving importance to technology at the same time preserving the musicality.

Last edited:
My mridangam teacher (when he wasn't listening to film music on the TV for relaxation) could be found listening to bad cassettes on dreadful machines. Cassettes duplicated for classroom use might be umpteenth generation copies that I could barely stand to listen to.

I can only surmise that, as a professional musician, his listening experience was completely different to mine!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back