Whats the big deal with these LED tvs?

frnd08

Samsung is giving huge ads in the newspaper about LED tvs.

the price as of now is of course over the top, none of the tvs are below 1 lakh. whats the advantage of leds over lcds? better contrast or something?

Panal is made itself by LEDs,so nomore Backlight.
Technically it emitts light & not blocks it, so black levels are perfect.
Contrast ratio is very high & so the colour reproduction.
It is lighter & consumes less power.
Its new so the price is high.

The Samsung is the same LCD TV. They are using some LEDs to improve contrast, back lighting, etc. It's not an LED TV, just an LCD with LEDs being used.

Google for "OLED TV", they are the next generation of TVs based on LED technology. But they are some way away still and will be initially expensive. But in terms of PQ just unbeatable and in looks too. They are in fact paper thin.

Panal is made itself by LEDs,so nomore Backlight.
Technically it emitts light & not blocks it, so black levels are perfect.
Contrast ratio is very high & so the colour reproduction.
It is lighter & consumes less power.
Its new so the price is high.

wrong the panel is just like the way it was before,instead of the ccfl backlight they now have LEDs placed on the sides ,light is spread evenly by optics and a diffuser.contrast ratios are the same ,it still blocks the light every lcds tv out there no matter what type of backlight it has still has to block the light.only local dimming LED lcds like the sony X450A and samsung 9 turns off/dims the backlight localy when required,sony goes one step further with the RGB(red,green,blue) dimming,in normally scenes all the RGB leds would be turned On to produce white light,but it can vary the brightness of each to show more of red tint or a blue etc depending on the scenes like when seeing a L 'oreal ad when they show scarlett johanssons lips the leds behind the lips are going to show more of red color/tint or whatever the color of the lips is.

The Samsung is the same LCD TV. They are using some LEDs to improve contrast, back lighting, etc. It's not an LED TV, just an LCD with LEDs being used.

Google for "OLED TV", they are the next generation of TVs based on LED technology. But they are some way away still and will be initially expensive. But in terms of PQ just unbeatable and in looks too. They are in fact paper thin.

okay. thats the thing. now i get it. coz i thought oleds were stuck at 26".how could they have come up with a 40" oled! :) so thats basically a modified lcd. :) btw, is the pic quality comparable to oleds? or are the oleds far superior?

okay. thats the thing. now i get it. coz i thought oleds were stuck at 26".how could they have come up with a 40" oled! :) so thats basically a modified lcd. :) btw, is the pic quality comparable to oleds? or are the oleds far superior?

well we can expect next year 30inch oled tvs to go on sale from samsung.oled prototypes have already achieved the 40inch size .a oled screens offers far superior contrast to current lcds and plasma ,the only flat panel that can give pure black levels of 0.0cdm2 in any image is oled.

@spirovious
the subject being talked in this thread is samsung led tv,which u know is just a lcd with led back/edgelight.
samsung led tv is first of all falsely marketed,and even then led tv is no OLED.

After reading about the series 6 & 7 SAMSUNG LEDs (ok..same thing....LCD with LED backlight / edgelight) on this forum and seeing the TV commercials, went to Reliance Digital today and saw these for the first time. They were playing "HALO" game demo and "The Chronicles of Narnia", movie trailer.

Without getting into too much technical nitty-grittys' , pricing and spec comparisons with competition etc., just two words to describe it, Absolutely Stunning"!

In other words, if budget was not a constraint, would we have picked it up today, Most Likely! ;) ....would have been an impulse purchase without getting into tech / specs details. Of course how would Tata Sky and regular DVDs watching have looked on it....separate discussion :).

It may have been our imagination, but certain scenes in the Halo game demo were giving a 3D effect.....the PQ was so crystal clear. SAMSUNG has certainly done a fine job!

They were very thin (compared to LCDs), impressive and of course nice looking too. Price was 1.15L+ and way out of budget. Understandably, since they are brand new entrants in the market, they will demand that price currently. But all the same, they were really good to look at.

Based on specs the OLEDs are far superior but its tough to say because I only saw the 11" demo piece when traveling abroad. Have not seen the 26" myself. The Samsung is actually pretty good. The best in terms of PQ right now at least in comparison to all LCDs. Need a side by side comparison with a Kuro to see how it fares with a Plasma though.

After reading about the series 6 & 7 SAMSUNG LEDs (ok..same thing....LCD with LED backlight / edgelight) on this forum and seeing the TV commercials, went to Reliance Digital today and saw these for the first time. They were playing "HALO" game demo and "The Chronicles of Narnia", movie trailer.

Without getting into too much technical nitty-grittys' , pricing and spec comparisons with competition etc., just two words to describe it, Absolutely Stunning"!

In other words, if budget was not a constraint, would we have picked it up today, Most Likely! ;) ....would have been an impulse purchase without getting into tech / specs details. Of course how would Tata Sky and regular DVDs watching have looked on it....separate discussion :).

It may have been our imagination, but certain scenes in the Halo game demo were giving a 3D effect.....the PQ was so crystal clear. SAMSUNG has certainly done a fine job!

They were very thin (compared to LCDs), impressive and of course nice looking too. Price was 1.15L+ and way out of budget. Understandably, since they are brand new entrants in the market, they will demand that price currently. But all the same, they were really good to look at.

just wait for the cheaper B650 and B750 to hit the street same performance but for a much cheaper price.

its all good an awesome. but the thing is, to get the difference between an lcd an led and say oled (although its not really available in the country right now) we need vids at 1080i/p. and that unfortunately isnt really a viable option as of now. blu-ray player prices still way over the top, western media does offer an alternative but it doesnt play anything (like say cds or dvds) or storage is an issue there.

with so many people getting hi def tvs i think its time some viable options like say moser baer type cheaper blu-ray (okay that was an exaggeration! :D but cheaper blu ray) and cheaper blu ray disc players below 10 grands becomes available in the market. what do u think?

just wait for the cheaper B650 and B750 to hit the street same performance but for a much cheaper price.

Thanks!

Timelines for these to hit the market? Price guesses? In what ways would these be comparable to the SAMSUNG LEDs currently in the market?

These TVs show the 720P/1080i signals very well as well. No need to get a blu ray to enjoy them. So upscaling will help as well.

its all good an awesome. but the thing is, to get the difference between an lcd an led and say oled (although its not really available in the country right now) we need vids at 1080i/p. and that unfortunately isnt really a viable option as of now. blu-ray player prices still way over the top, western media does offer an alternative but it doesnt play anything (like say cds or dvds) or storage is an issue there.

with so many people getting hi def tvs i think its time some viable options like say moser baer type cheaper blu-ray (okay that was an exaggeration! :D but cheaper blu ray) and cheaper blu ray disc players below 10 grands becomes available in the market. what do u think?

These TVs show the 720P/1080i signals very well as well. No need to get a blu ray to enjoy them. So upscaling will help as well.

nah! upscaling isnt even close to the real thing. my lg dv 388 upscales to 1080p but its nowhere close to the 720p video i saw at a sony centre. :)

Thanks!

Timelines for these to hit the market? Price guesses? In what ways would these be comparable to the SAMSUNG LEDs currently in the market?

well should be available commonly by next month ,the B750 has 200hz tech, sony also has the new Z550A which again has a slightly better 200hz tech.
the new models should however be available in grey market.they are already listed in the indian website,the b650 prices at MRP90k and B750 prices at MRP1.20lakh

Last edited:
well should be available commonly by next month ,the B750 has 200hz tech, sony also has the new Z550A which again has a slightly better 200hz tech.
the new models should however be available in grey market.they are already listed in the indian website,the b650 prices at MRP90k and B750 prices at MRP1.20lakh

tell me something, if my lcd doesnt support 200hz would i get to watch the vids at that refresh rate if the source hd disc is 200hz and if the blu ray player supports it?

I setup a samsung 61" DLP using LED a few months ago. The picture was superb so to say. The cost was way cheaper than the plasma/lcd as well. The form factor has reduced a fair bit for the DLP TVs as well.

Search the forum for additional observatoins on the same. I have put it in another post at that time.

nah! upscaling isnt even close to the real thing. my lg dv 388 upscales to 1080p but its nowhere close to the 720p video i saw at a sony centre. :)

That's because it's an LG. Even my Philips 3669 and 5996 both upscale to 1080 and the while they are good enough to watch they are no patch on the Oppo.

But original 1080 content viewed via HDMI on a 1080 TV and on a Blu-Ray player is something, that's correct.

But the Oppo does a very good job too.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back