whats the ideal room dimensions ? (maximum 200-220 sqfeet room)

dr.arun

Hi,
I'm starting to build a home now . Im planning to dedicate a room for HT . Whats the ideal room dimensions that i should opt for a single row HT with 4 seats - (80% movies and 20% music ).Please do limit the floor area around 180-220 sqft . I can only dedicate that much

Hi,
I'm starting to build a home now . Im planning to dedicate a room for HT . Whats the ideal room dimensions that i should opt for a single row HT with 4 seats - (80% movies and 20% music ).Please do limit the floor area around 180-220 sqft . I can only dedicate that much
I believe one important point people tend to miss is how important is having one row of seating v/s 2. If you have a 2 + 2 configuration (2 seats behind 2 seats), you will need a bigger screen size (hence more expensive and brighter projector or a much more expensive TV), the sound gets messy as now you have to optimize volume and room correction a lot more. Also, a minor point but you'll also have to consider rear seat comfort and position, when the front seat person reclines/is upright.

When I was planning on an HT room (pushed back due to COVID) I always thought about 1-2 fixed seats(recliners) with a couple of bean-bags for extra people in case. Made things a lot easier to plan and requires less space. Just FYI, bean bags are amazing for watching movies. You need 2-3 minutes to adjust position and angle but it's super comfortable for 5-6 hours of watching.

Hi,
16.5 x 13.4 feet with screen on the 16.5 feet wall.
Accomodates 4 seats + 2.5 to 3 feet space from the walls.
Seats 3 feet from rear wall.
This dimension, with subwoofer placed in center we can achieve great and near identical bass for all four seats. :)
With 2 smaller ( relatively) subwoofers in front left and right corner even better bass can be achieved. ;)

Last edited:
Four seats in a single row would be 8 feet wide. With at least 2 feet on either side and you are looking at a minimum width of 12 feet. So the length would be 15 to 18 feet to keep within the floor are requirements. Which is very doable but a little tight in width. You cound do 13 x 17. As prateek just suggested as I am writing :)

Do look at two rows. But that comes with issues of visibility for the back row. Ideally it needs to be raised. Distance between the rows is usually suggested 4 to 5 feet. here you can reduce the width and increase the length.

With a smallish room, I would go with a 2 seater main recliner with smaller comfortable chairs and bean bags as further options.
I have done this in my 13' x 23' space. Mine is a multipurpose room so actual floor space used for the HT is lesser.
Do make sure no two dimensions (L, B, H) are the same or multiples of one another.

My room is 15*12*9 and I have 4 recliners.

The screen is 124 inches in the 12 feet wall. The recliners are broad and cover four seats and take around 10feet width. Have kept three feet width from rear, (two are required for the recline).

I have done wall to wall carpeting, with a foam layer so, a lot of people are fine to even sit on the carpet.

I also have a couple of bean bags.

Built a grid in the ceiling for acoustic tiles and added bass traps in all four corners alongwith treatment at various points for better sound.

Kept flexibility for additional channels at the ceiling to add atmos speakers.

My room is 15*12*9 and I have 4 recliners.

The screen is 124 inches in the 12 feet wall. The recliners are broad and cover four seats and take around 10feet width. Have kept three feet width from rear, (two are required for the recline).

I have done wall to wall carpeting, with a foam layer so, a lot of people are fine to even sit on the carpet.

I also have a couple of bean bags.

Built a grid in the ceiling for acoustic tiles and added bass traps in all four corners alongwith treatment at various points for better sound.

Kept flexibility for additional channels at the ceiling to add atmos speakers.
1 feet from side walls is too close ..

I was thinking to start a similar thread. The only difference being is stereo setup. I am also planning a new home and thinking and searching what should be the room size, basement vs top floor. Will watch this thread to gain knowledge on this.

You may want to decide on Screen size and configuration for sound first may be to decide. Also would you be going for in wall speakers?
With single row of seats you can probably achieve much better enveloping Atmos having 5.1.4 setup

Agreed, but my projector needed a throw of 12 feet for generating a 120 inch screen, so I couldnt have made the screen width wise. So depending upon the OP's choice of projector and screen size, that will also be a factor.
I'm looking at 125-130" screen . Probably gonna buy Epson TW9400 PJ , which needs 13-14 feet throw distance . Right now I have a benq w 1070 I'm my rented home which is now 4yrs old and working super fine .

I'm looking at 125-130" screen . Probably gonna buy Epson TW9400 PJ , which needs 13-14 feet throw distance . Right now I have a benq w 1070 I'm my rented home which is now 4yrs old and working super fine .
Epson projectors have a very high zoom range. The 9400 can have a throw distance from approx 13 feet to 25 feet for your screen size.
You can place it very easily on a shelf on the back wall. Much better than having a projector hanging from the ceiling.
I have the EH-TW8100 at a throw distance of about 21 feet in a dedicated room and the picture is excellent. It's on a shelf on the back wall.
I have a 150 inch DIY acoustically transparent screen with the front LCR behind the screen. Viewing distance is around 14-15 feet.
Screen cloth is spandex obtained through a forum member. Frame is made of wood.

BTW, why not continue with the BenQ?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back