What's your electricity bill ?

hitensitapara: Thanks. Fascinating, and not really off-topic at all. By far the greatest use of the cost of electricity, which we are talking about, seems to be climatic. If we did not use ACs or fridges, our bills would be in the hundreds rather than the thousands.
Yes. And I was also thinking can this mats be used as acoustic room treatment ? :lol:

After reading all the posts till now I seriously envy you guys as my bills are on huge side and during summer season when 8 Tonns of AC run for 12 hours in my house hold, and being on the top floor of an apartment building also adds to the heat so I get a bill around 30-35K bi-monthly. In my bedroom too it sometimes gets close to 38 degrees if the room is closed for the entire day and my entire Penthouse feels like an oven. These days when the day temperatures are close to 45 degrees here so we are not left without an option but to keep ACs on for close to 14-16 hours which adds further to the bills.

when you are able to buy and install this tech - you will save big bucks!-

Researchers Develop Incredibly Efficient Air Conditioning Tech

I have an alarm system which warns me if I miss the bath and start to smell. It is called Wife!

you better have back-up!

oops! - you will have neighbors backing off - and keeping a safe distance -

and three days later - your alarm system will request an appointment with the ENT doc.

you better have back-up!
I have tested the system, and it is fully functional!

She also lets me know when I haven't been drinking enough water, an early symptom of which is bad breath.

Otherwise, we'd have to sit in separate rooms, using two ACs, and then our electricity bill would soar.

Off-topic? What, me? :cool:

when you are able to buy and install this tech - you will save big bucks!-

Researchers Develop Incredibly Efficient Air Conditioning Tech

This is more of a dehumidifier than a cooler mechanism. If you want to know more about it, then google "drykor".

The liquid desiccant/salt solution mentioned is liquid lithium chloride, and the system uses significantly lesser energy to remove moisture from air, and in addition, instead of warming the outgoing air cools it down ...... Sorry, am getting a bit too technical now ..... would stop here ....;)

Guys, whats the role of a Inverter lets say of 1.2kv with 2-4 batteries giving backup to a 1500-2000 sq ft flat in raising the light bill ?
Means the charging is always on.

A very easy way of keeping your light bills down :

Pls service and service all your electronic equipments especially ACs .
A well-maintained 1.5 ton Split AC will give 20-30 % less bill.

Last edited:
Shock! Horror!

Latest bill today: over Rs5,000!

--- we have been using AC all day through May and June.

--- for last few days, due to breakdown of hall 2-ton AC, we have used both 1-ton and 1.5-ton bedroom ACs for large parts of the day to keep the humidity down in the hall.

I told my wife, next year we are going to UK for May and June. Being sensible, she replied that that would cost lakhs, not a few thousand :)

Shock! Horror!

Latest bill today: over Rs5,000!

--- we have been using AC all day through May and June.

--- for last few days, due to breakdown of hall 2-ton AC, we have used both 1-ton and 1.5-ton bedroom ACs for large parts of the day to keep the humidity down in the hall.

I told my wife, next year we are going to UK for May and June. Being sensible, she replied that that would cost lakhs, not a few thousand :)

it cant be that hot indoors can it? In humid places its best to get used to living shirtless when indoors. :)

Cheers

Here is a joke involving the Electricity department :)

----------
Mr.Sharma comes home one night, and his wife throws her arms around his neck: "I have great news: I'm a month overdue. I think we're going to have a baby! The doctor gave me a test today, but until we find out for sure, we can't tell anybody."

The next day, Mrs.Sharma receives a telephone call from Electric Company because the electricity bill has not been paid. " Am I speaking to Mrs.Sharma ? " "Yes...... speaking"

guy, "You're a month overdue, you know!"

"How do YOU know?" stammers the young woman.

"Well, ma'am, it's in our files!" says the guy .

"What are you saying? It's in your files ...... HOW ?????"

"Yes ........... We have a system of finding out who's overdue "

"GOD !!!!!!...... ... this is too much........ .."

"Madam, I am sorry...... I am following orders.... I have to inform you are overdue"

"I know that ........ let me talk to my husband about this tonight. ..... he will speak to your company tomorrow "

That night, she tells her husband about the visit, and he, mad as a bull, rushes to Electric Company's office the next day morning.

"What's going on? You have it on file that my wife is a month overdue? What business is that of yours?" the husband shouts.

"Just calm down," says the lady at the reception at Electric Company , "it's nothing serious. All you have to do is pay us.."

"PAY you? and if I refuse?"

"Well, in that case, sir, we'd have no option but to cut yours off."

"And what would my wife do then?" the husband asks.

"I don't know. I guess she'd have to use a candle."

---------

:lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

I guess power in Delhi expensive than other states ? is that true ?

Last edited:
In my case i am getting a electricity bill of around 3,500/- a month from Reliance.

The usage is as following.

Fully automatic 11Kg washing machine with hot wash with dry heat outflow er, is used twice a week, lap top 24 hours, one or two fan for 12 hours, dish washer used nearly twice a day with each cycle lasting over an hour, food processor for 20 minutes, juicer heavy duty for 5 minutes, 2 fridges, projector 8 hours, audio video equipments 4 to 5 hours, a/c 10 hours (temperatures 27 and 22) geyser 20 minutes, aqua guard for 20 minutes, halogen lights 1 hour, 2 tube lights 8 hours, vacuum cleaner once a week for 30 minutes.

V.

it cant be that hot indoors can it? In humid places its best to get used to living shirtless when indoors. :)

Cheers
Usual indoor dress = boxer shorts. Wife insists that I wear at least a towel around my waist when anyone else is in the house, and that she needs AC and fans because she can't sit around the house in her underwear.

Have to confess, though, that this Chennai summer, I have been turning the AC on myself --- and we just got back from a cool, damp week in Kerala...

(loved the EB joke :lol:)

Pretty interesting topic.

My monthly bill was Rs 670 for several years but now has gone ip to Rs 820 after I put in an 800VA UPS (sine-wave from Su-Kam). (Spidey, hope that partly answers your que.)

This is pretty low for a 3-bed appt with wife and 2 kids. I figure that in Bangalore, the main reason for high bills, for non-a/c homes, is because of the geyser.

Normally, we buy 25 l geysers because they are only marginally more expensive than the 15 l geyser. What we don't realise is that for a normal bucket bath, you use about 10 l of hot water and mix in 10-12 l of cold water. So you have 15l of hot water in the geyser which is wasted and even more if you don't switch off the geyser before your bath.

A regular geyser is 2 kW or the equivalent of 300 CFLs. Would anyone switch on 300 lights in their homes even if it's for 15 mins? If you already have a large geyser, reduce the thermostat's temp or switch it on for a short period of time so you don't have to mix in cold water.

Tubelights also have mercury. CFLs last long and you're right that it's unfortunate that we don't have a propoer waste disposal program for them. At the same time, they save huge amounts of power.

Think about this premise. If they banned the production of incandescent lamps, the bulbs would burn out on a predictable basis and people would start replacing them with CFLs. This mass change alone could reduce the total power consumption of the country and may lead to the end of power cuts.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back