where to buy modified region free blu-ray players in Mumbai?

you can increase/ change volume of each channel in an avr. Please increase the vol for the center channel. Also check in case your center got loose connection.

My onida is also on its way and all I need now is few bdps. Have you tried optical/ coax outs for compressed 5.1?

you can increase/ change volume of each channel in an avr. Please increase the vol for the center channel. Also check in case your center got loose connection.

My onida is also on its way and all I need now is few bdps. Have you tried optical/ coax outs for compressed 5.1?

Yeah I am yet to get around to around to doing that, guess it should help. Haven't tried compressed 5.1, and don't intend to, after hearing the clarity of true hd..

@kaushikp, Try setting the Center speaker to SMALL. Setting the speaker to SMALL will tell the AVR not to send low freq sounds (Bass) to the center speaker.

Then you will not need HDMI. But note that (most likely) you cannot get HD sound such as Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TruHD or DTS HD MA via the above method. It will probably be downmixed to PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS.

why so? I am assuming the onboard dacs are 24/192. All signals you mentioned are digital, while I am thinking of 5.1 analog out on bdp to anlog in of avr

Then you will not need HDMI. But note that (most likely) you cannot get HD sound such as Uncompressed PCM, Dolby TruHD or DTS HD MA via the above method. It will probably be downmixed to PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS.

No reason for getting downmixed pcm. Once you put it on analog out the blu ready player will decode it onboard and transmit analog signal to the receiver. No way what I am hearing is downmixed..i know how that sounds on my system have been watching dvds there for 3 years now

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As I said, "most likely". I can neither confirm nor deny. The Onida website does not have a downloadable manual.

Does the AVR show DTS-HD MA or Dolby TruHD if the input is via discrete pre-amp in? And I am not just refering to this player. For instance, in my Denon-1910, when the audio channel plays HD sound, the blue HD sound indicator light is displayed on the panel. The panel also displays the appropriate audio (Dolby TruHD or DTS HD-MA).

As I said, "most likely". I can neither confirm nor deny. The Onida website does not have a downloadable manual.

Does the AVR show DTS-HD MA or Dolby TruHD if the input is via discrete pre-amp in? And I am not just refering to this player. For instance, in my Denon-1910, when the audio channel plays HD sound, the blue HD sound indicator light is displayed on the panel. The panel also displays the appropriate audio (Dolby TruHD or DTS HD-MA).

When you play hd sound through discrete analog in from the player itself, your avr is not supposed to show indication of hd sound, as it is receiving it as discrete analog streams anyway, decoded by the player. true hd is a digital format, after the sound is converted to analog and sent to the avr, there is no question of the avr displaying a true hd notification. This situation anyway is only applicable to avrs which cannot decode hd sound, thus the on-player processing. Any avr which recognizes a true hd stream will by default have a hdmi 1.3x port and there will be no need to send the sound stream over discrete 5.1. My cambridge avr has a hdmi 1.2, which cannot receive sound through hdmi. your denon 1910 is able to decode true hd sound, thus you can see the blue light when true hd sound is sent through hdmi.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

When you play hd sound through discrete analog in from the player itself, your avr is not supposed to show indication of hd sound, as it is receiving it as discrete analog streams anyway, decoded by the player. ...

I realized that I worded my post wrong. I meant to say ...

Will the AVR show any HD indication if the input is via discrete channel in?

I would guess not. Now the question is, does a low end BD player such as Onida output discrete channels in HD from the 5.1 out? I have some serious doubts there. I suspect that the HD decoding is downmixed to 5.1. Else it should have 7.1 channel out. Like Oppo.

I realized that I worded my post wrong. I meant to say ...

I would guess not. Now the question is, does a low end BD player such as Onida output discrete channels in HD from the 5.1 out? I have some serious doubts there. I suspect that the HD decoding is downmixed to 5.1. Else it should have 7.1 channel out. Like Oppo.

That's a fair point, any idea how to find out? looks like I have to do some asking around in avforums..

I guess a simple way of checking can be putting the sound to down mixed dts in the bd, hearing it, and then again putting it on true hd and do a simple ear check..will do it tonight and give a feedback.

I don't see any setting on onida to downmix. Or did I miss something?
Also I wonder why there are two sets of audio outputs?
1 left/right is along with component out. And then there is 5.1. It could have easily been 7.1 out.
Or maybe it is but we don't know?

I don't see any setting on onida to downmix. Or did I miss something?
Also I wonder why there are two sets of audio outputs?
1 left/right is along with component out. And then there is 5.1. It could have easily been 7.1 out.
Or maybe it is but we don't know?
It will not show any indication of downmix. For example, if you use coaxial digital out or optical digital out, the HD audio is already downmixed (Dolby TruHD --> DD, DTS HD MA --> DTS, Uncomp PCM --> Linear PCM). Same thing will apply if you use the discrete 5.1 out.

If you wish HD sound, you will need HDMI connection.

But is it really that bad? Not in my opinion. For the time being, you can continue with the old generation AVR and save money. Later on you can buy a better AVR and use HDMI.

That's a fair point, any idea how to find out? looks like I have to do some asking around in avforums..

I guess a simple way of checking can be putting the sound to down mixed dts in the bd, hearing it, and then again putting it on true hd and do a simple ear check..will do it tonight and give a feedback.

koushik,

I got my onida bdx 1110 earlier this week and tested it today. PQ is good no issues here.

I connected my onida's optical out to my AVR(B&K ref 30) which is 10 year old. I get the display on the avr as DD DTS surr 3( three speakers connected). As you said in your earlier post the sound output is on the lower side. I need to run at 4 to 6 db higher than what I used to do with my dvds. Did you connect the analog outs into your AVR and check. Let me know. what did you find.

Thanks
Pandu

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back