Where to buy Vinyl records in India

Hi,
I think i was late to this topic. I am also a hardcore vinyl lover, and i got almost 100 plus vinyls(malayalam, hindi, tamil and western). My sincere advise is to always go for new vinyls if possible since the experience is unimaginable. For the past eight months i been importing vinyls from US through this site(all discs are brand new)

ImportCDs.com: Search Results

they have huge clearance sale, and the delivery is so fast and safe, u get them within 7 days from usa!!!!!! Shipping charges are very reasonable.When ordering, try to order in multiples, as shipping cost will come down. They pack each disc separately in a hard cardboard shell and send it(which we can use it for storing vinyls when we try to store them in the rack)
yesterday i got(ordered on 1st september) Madonna's IMMACULATE COLLECTION disc (its a 2 lp disc, brand new, price was 9$ = 380rs) and mariah carey disc picture disc(7$) and will smith(again 2 disc 9$)...All three shipping charges were 10.45$...Quality is superb!!!!!Try it out....
One of the fellow forum members have mentioned an other site, but that is a UK site and ordering from UK will always be costlier because of the conversion rate..

sorry for pulling up this old post :) any customs duty or charges when importing lps?

thanks

Shouldn't be, books and music (CDs etc) are exempt, right?

Unless customs decide to treat the goods under the 'antiques' classification
;-)

Iam not clear about the topography of chor bazzar.
Give me some time i will get you the exact postal address.
also by this week i might be in mumbai for the same.i will let you know and also get the contact numbers of that place
rgds
Mukundan

Could you please give me the contact details/address of Ismail.

Regards,
Suresh

Could you please give me the contact details/address of Ismail.

Regards,
Suresh

These chaps may not have an address you could relate to. You'd need to take a stroll down Chor Bazaar - it's not a large area, just one main street known as Mutton Street, with a couple of offshoots. You can find it by starting up Grant Road from the JJ Hospital end, and it's the third or fourth side street to the left. Bang opposite is Paradise Cafe on Grant Road, which is an easily spottable landmark. Once in there, ask around for Ismail, or any other recordwala. There's just two or three left anyway. There's Saleem (he has a shop in the lane parallel to Mutton Street) and Anwar (High Hill is the name of his store). Best of luck!

Hi,

Please let me know which shipping method they are used USPS Air Mail or any other ? Because there shipping charges are very low compare to any other. And again thanks for the valuable information.

Last edited:
Hi,
I think i was late to this topic. I am also a hardcore vinyl lover, and i got almost 100 plus vinyls(malayalam, hindi, tamil and western). My sincere advise is to always go for new vinyls if possible since the experience is unimaginable. For the past eight months i been importing vinyls from US through this site(all discs are brand new)

ImportCDs.com: Search Results

they have huge clearance sale, and the delivery is so fast and safe, u get them within 7 days from usa!!!!!! Shipping charges are very reasonable.When ordering, try to order in multiples, as shipping cost will come down. They pack each disc separately in a hard cardboard shell and send it(which we can use it for storing vinyls when we try to store them in the rack)
yesterday i got(ordered on 1st september) Madonna's IMMACULATE COLLECTION disc (its a 2 lp disc, brand new, price was 9$ = 380rs) and mariah carey disc picture disc(7$) and will smith(again 2 disc 9$)...All three shipping charges were 10.45$...Quality is superb!!!!!Try it out....
One of the fellow forum members have mentioned an other site, but that is a UK site and ordering from UK will always be costlier because of the conversion rate..

Hi,

Please let me know which shipping method they are used USPS Air Mail or any other ? Because there shipping charges are very low compare to any other. And again thanks for the valuable information.

Last edited:
much thanks to srenjith!

i had been toying with the idea of buying vinyl online and your post finally pushed me over. i ought to have posted the doors buy here but by mistake posted it on the other thread.

buying new vinyl like srenjith says is indeed a different experience. the vinyl is clean, titles are on the spines so can easily pull em out. got it through amazon, bought on 20th feb, delivered on 02 march, i chose expedited international shipping $17. other choices are normal shipping is $8 (approx 4 weeks), priority shipping $25 or so is 2-4 days. packaged delivered by DHL paid 30 bucks for indian post office charges. not bad on a $160 bill.

thanks srenjith!!! :)

much thanks to srenjith!

i had been toying with the idea of buying vinyl online and your post finally pushed me over. i ought to have posted the doors buy here but by mistake posted it on the other thread.

buying new vinyl like srenjith says is indeed a different experience. the vinyl is clean, titles are on the spines so can easily pull em out. got it through amazon, bought on 20th feb, delivered on 02 march, i chose expedited international shipping $17. other choices are normal shipping is $8 (approx 4 weeks), priority shipping $25 or so is 2-4 days. packaged delivered by DHL paid 30 bucks for indian post office charges. not bad on a $160 bill.

thanks srenjith!!! :)

Dear stevieboy,

Please inform me is any import duty you paid for the vinyl you buying from amazon ?

hi arindamcc,

no import duty. the box set cost is $160. shipping component of this cost was $17 cos i chose expedited shipping (freight and insurance). only extra charge on reaching india is Rs 30 by post office.

though i've heard horror stories of people who've bought stuff and had customs retain the goods for months. to me it seems clear cut at least for lps. ship via a reputed courier like DHL or fedex (available on most sites) and they pay customs on your behalf and you pay the courier guy when he lands up at your doorstep. plus if shipment costs are low then customs wouldn't bother that much is my gut feel. if someone has a different story please do share...

regards

I have had no issues, so far, in receiving vinyl.. all of the packages I ordered were cleared from customs. To fill in gaps in my collection, I order LPs once in two months (at least). So far I have ordered LPs from Canada, UK, USA, and from ebay through various courier options -- including Air Mail, through ordinary mail and reputed couriers. Last time I ordered LPs from Canada and I received the package after 2 months. My guess is that the package was biting the dust at customs and then they had mercy on it and stamped it "cleared". I wasnt hopeful and thought that I wont be lucky this time.

I think customs never withheld any LP package if the contents and value of the same is clearly mentioned on it. Or I might be lucky so far....
<Copying and pasting to another relevant thread as well>

hi redlag,

what does air mail mean exactly? i always thought it was through courier but sent by air for faster delivery. you mention it separate from courier...

regards

for those interested, under the general chitchat section, there is a thread on second page 'how to buy online safe' contains tips on buying in india and abroad, paypal, credit card, bank transfer and other means.

arindamcc i sense this would be a good read for you especially :)

regards

Hi,
I like to hear Hindi & Bengali old filmy songs (mostly 60's to 80's). I've purchased some SaReGaMa CDs for old songs. But I've seen conversion from analog to digital form is horrible. Some of the songs are very noisy & distorted in my audio system. Hence I am thinking of purchasing Vinyl records. In internet I've seen it is available. But cost is very very high. For one Hindi/Bengali record they are charging approximately Rs.1450 to Rs.3000 with shipping charges extra. Can any one tell me where in India it is available at reasonable cost? Is there any seller from Chennai who sells Hindi & Bengali LPs?

Regards,
Partho.

Hi

Partho please visit wellington square in kolkata. You find lots of Hindi and bengali LP record pricing from Rs 30 to Rs 500.They are very good condition.
:yahoo:

Hi Arindam,

Which side of Wellington Square area? Please give a bit more details. Is it on the Dharmatala Street side? How do make sure of the quality or do you just buy on trust?

Do they also keep Indian classical music LPs?

Regards

Hi Arindam,

Which side of Wellington Square area? Please give a bit more details. Is it on the Dharmatala Street side? How do make sure of the quality or do you just buy on trust?

Do they also keep Indian classical music LPs?

Regards

Hi
Asit

Here is the address

MD MURTUZA
46, Lenin Sarani
Kolkata 700013

I brought hundreds of LP from there. They have mixed quality depends on price.This shop had huge stock of Bengali Hindi & English LP EP and 78 RPM Record but when you buy please take a closer look and inspect the disc very carefully.
If u have any question you can call me at any time except Sunday 9434829534. or mail me [email protected]
Arindam Chakrabarty.

Last edited:
Hi Arindam,

Thanks a lot for the details. Yes, I will contact you one of these days. I have a small collection of LPs all bought new abroad. Have no experience in buying them here recently, although long time ago used to buy them here.

At the moment I do not have a working TT. My 20 year old TT (a very good one, Dual CS5000) is not working any more. It is probably beyond repair, but from the net I have managed to get its circuit free. Let's see. Do you know anybody who knows about repairing these things?

My alternate plan is to get another TT some time after I upgrade my amp. Although I have a meagre collection of vinyl, I am missing them very much. And when I have a working TT, I will definitely start building on my vinyl collection.

Regards

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back